Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow (From the front page of Yahoo Sports)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tyson fight or no, Kimbo is no freakshow (From the front page of Yahoo Sports)
Bemin
5/17/08 6:29:03PM
It’s hardly a stretch to suggest that Kimbo Slice is the Mike Tyson of the 21st century. Tyson became a cultural phenomenon in the 1980s with his intimidating visage, powerful punches and almost weekly appearances on ESPN.

Slice shares the same intimidating look and powerful punching, but his vehicle to stardom was the Internet video-sharing site, YouTube.

And while Slice struggles to be taken seriously as a mixed martial artist, calls are increasing for the pulverizing punchers of past and present to meet in a cage. Slice’s promoter, Gary Shaw, said he’s not encouraging such talk, given that Tyson is retired and hasn’t fought in three years.

But Shaw said he owes it to Slice to consider the bout if Tyson, who appears to weigh nearly 300 pounds and hasn’t had a win in more than five years, would agree to it.

“Call it a freak show or a circus or whatever you want, but it would be the most-watched pay-per-view event ever,” Shaw said.

There’s little doubt of Slice’s importance to Elite XC, the mixed martial arts promotional company that Shaw runs.

Link
The-Don
5/17/08 7:13:37PM
while on the surface they appear the same... Not many can compare to early Tyson in the ring.. The man was basicly invincible.. yea as of late he has been nothing... but in his early days he fought everybody and anybody and won.. At times he defended the title 4 or 5 times a MONTH.. yea not many can compare to early Tyson....
holt8081
5/17/08 10:07:30PM
ya it would be a great event to watch.
Jackelope
5/18/08 4:13:53AM
This is a fight that could actually hurt what little credibility Kimbo has. Tyson could only gain some credibility considering he has none.

But yes, I more than agree that an early days Tyson would KTFO Kimbo and that the Kimbo of today matches up not in the least against that Tyson.
IriShame
5/18/08 10:44:59AM
"To have CBS, a big network like that, move forward with a guy like Kimbo Slice headlining it, there’s no secret that’s what I tried to stay away from,” White said. “Kimbo Slice isn’t a mixed martial artist. This guy was fighting in your backyard three months ago and now he’s going to be headlining on CBS. Personally, I think it sucks.”

What a hypocritical jerkoff. What does he call Brock Lesnar headlining not one but TWO UFC cards?

I used to like Dana White but statements like this make me seriously reconsider that position.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/18/08 10:59:11AM

Posted by IriShame

"To have CBS, a big network like that, move forward with a guy like Kimbo Slice headlining it, there’s no secret that’s what I tried to stay away from,” White said. “Kimbo Slice isn’t a mixed martial artist. This guy was fighting in your backyard three months ago and now he’s going to be headlining on CBS. Personally, I think it sucks.”

What a hypocritical jerkoff. What does he call Brock Lesnar headlining not one but TWO UFC cards?

I used to like Dana White but statements like this make me seriously reconsider that position.

The hypocricy is strong in that one. Well we no longer watch a sport but sports entertainment.

Sorry but Kimbo is a freak show. He is a brawler playing MMA fighter. I can't wait till he feels the power of the JJ.
The-Don
5/18/08 11:23:36AM

Posted by IriShame

There is a difference... Brock did not just say Hey I am going to Fight MMA and then a month later is competeing.. He trained for awhile, He is already an accomplished Amature Wrestler.. He is training in a top camp and taking the sport seriously.. granted his first fight was spoon fed partly because his main opponent could not be cleared medically to fight in the US so they had to find a last minute substitute... Kimbo has basicly walked in and beat who? Tank Abbott? Abbot is a washed up has been who never really was a "was"... Brocks 2nd fight was against a former champ who has found his "A" game or so it seems time will tell... but FRank took a pounding but was still able to capatilize on Brocks Mistake...

Now I will give Kimbo credit .. He is training heavily with Bas Rutten.. supposedly.. And time will tell.. I think Brocks carear will go places Kimbo's won't... as for CBS.. What creditbility do they have when it comes to MMA anyway? sure people will watch if its free... but that event could turn some people away from MMA as it will not be showcasing the skill most MMA fighters have and a guy like Kimbo will more then likely never posses.. GRanted I could be wrong Kimbo main train seriously something Tank never really did in actual discplines and maybe he will have a good carear.. Let Brock get some real experience and training and then let him rip apart Kimbo...
IriShame
5/18/08 11:32:13AM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by IriShame

There is a difference... Brock did not just say Hey I am going to Fight MMA and then a month later is competeing.. He trained for awhile, He is already an accomplished Amature Wrestler.. He is training in a top camp and taking the sport seriously.. granted his first fight was spoon fed partly because his main opponent could not be cleared medically to fight in the US so they had to find a last minute substitute... Kimbo has basicly walked in and beat who? Tank Abbott? Abbot is a washed up has been who never really was a "was"... Brocks 2nd fight was against a former champ who has found his "A" game or so it seems time will tell... but FRank took a pounding but was still able to capatilize on Brocks Mistake...

Now I will give Kimbo credit .. He is training heavily with Bas Rutten.. supposedly.. And time will tell.. I think Brocks carear will go places Kimbo's won't... as for CBS.. What creditbility do they have when it comes to MMA anyway? sure people will watch if its free... but that event could turn some people away from MMA as it will not be showcasing the skill most MMA fighters have and a guy like Kimbo will more then likely never posses.. GRanted I could be wrong Kimbo main train seriously something Tank never really did in actual discplines and maybe he will have a good carear.. Let Brock get some real experience and training and then let him rip apart Kimbo...

He trained for a while? He trained for a while? That's the difference? Look buddy, Brock Lesnar is not headlineing UFC cards because he is an accomplished amateur wrestler and because he trained for a while. He headlines UFC cards because he was famous for something else before he decided to try his hand at MMA. Sounds like somebody else... Oh yeah, KIMBO! You are right though, Kimbo hasn't really beaten anybody. Unlike Brock who has beat... Oh wait. NOBODY! Don't try to defend the hypocricy it sounds like it's rubbing off on you.
The-Don
5/18/08 3:43:56PM
My point was that at least one of brocks two fights was against a respected MMA fighter.. which is more then Kimbo... Both could turn out to be wash outs both could end up great over time.. as only that will tell.. but on the surface Brock looks to have a more promising carear.
Kracker_Jap
5/18/08 3:47:20PM

Posted by The-Don

Let Brock get some real experience and training and then let him rip apart Kimbo...

Um if Kimbo and Brock fought yesterday......... We would be talking about how bad Kimbo got his *** Beat......

Brock Lesner way Greater than Kimbo

and that stands for yesterday, right now and tommorrow
IriShame
5/18/08 8:25:36PM

Posted by The-Don

My point was that at least one of brocks two fights was against a respected MMA fighter.. which is more then Kimbo... Both could turn out to be wash outs both could end up great over time.. as only that will tell.. but on the surface Brock looks to have a more promising carear.

Yeah, a fight which he lost. Also, a fight which he was paid more for losing than Mir as for winning.
JimiMak
5/18/08 10:07:46PM

Posted by The-Don

. At times he defended the title 4 or 5 times a MONTH..

No he didn't. He fought 2x's a month at times in the early part of his career. Never fought more than once every two months after first title win.

http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/tyson.htm
warglory
5/18/08 10:46:45PM
Kimbo is single handedly going to be responsible for destroying EliteXC. Why? Because investing so much time and energy in a uy as green as Kimbo is to the MMA world is inevitably going to come to a high profile fight in which Kimbo gets mauled, which will ruin his credibility and thus, the promotion's.

The difference between Dana White and Gary Shaw is that Dana White is featuring a single event in the hopes of making Lesnar into a force to help revitalize the heavyweight division, which I think is a good tactic. On the other hand, Gary Shaw is betting the entire promotion on the success of a single man, whom would be allowed to fight a washed up Mike Tyson in order to come out on top. Dana White can make Brock a legit athlete in the eyes of the MMA community if Brock succeeds in his next few fights while Kimbo will continue to tour the freakshow market if Shaw has anything to say about squeezing as much money out of his maker as possible.
The-Don
5/19/08 10:02:49AM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by The-Don

. At times he defended the title 4 or 5 times a MONTH..

No he didn't. He fought 2x's a month at times in the early part of his career. Never fought more than once every two months after first title win.

http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/tyson.htm

I stand corrected.. I may have ment a year.. Regardless his record over is is highly impressive

Mike Tyson Fight Record:
50 Wins, 6 Losses, 2 No Contest, 44 Knockouts

There is that saying.. if you want to make sure you get the win... don't let the judges decide...
The-Don
5/19/08 10:14:26AM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by The-Don

Yeah, a fight which he lost. Also, a fight which he was paid more for losing than Mir as for winning.

Who cares who was paid what.. it was amounts each fighter agreed too so that makes that point Null... And Brock lost to a guy with more training more experience because brock made a mistake that with experience he more then likely will not make again... If Frank missed that leg lock.. chances are Brock would have won that fight... Brock was pretty much impossing his will up to that point. I gained more respect for Frank there as he was able to catch that mistake when he had maybe all of 2-3 seconds to go for it while the opening was there.
IriShame
5/19/08 12:46:07PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by IriShame

Posted by The-Don

Who cares who was paid what.. it was amounts each fighter agreed too so that makes that point Null... And Brock lost to a guy with more training more experience because brock made a mistake that with experience he more then likely will not make again... If Frank missed that leg lock.. chances are Brock would have won that fight... Brock was pretty much impossing his will up to that point. I gained more respect for Frank there as he was able to catch that mistake when he had maybe all of 2-3 seconds to go for it while the opening was there.

My point is demonstrateing the hypocracy of Dana White not the legitamacy of Lesnar. Although that could be argued. Atheltic prowess does not a fighter make. The parallels between Lesnar and Kimbo are undeniable and your inability to recognize that makes me sad.