Will tyson ever fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will tyson ever fight?
Next Page »
jdubs
3/5/07 6:28:34PM
I thought it was awesome when pride picked up tyson, given that he fought. Im a little let down and realize they probably did that to get some publicity. does anyone know anything regarding this? will we ever see him in mma?
loller90278
3/5/07 6:45:08PM
he just got busted for cocaine so i dont think we'll be seeing him anytime soon
hippysmacker
3/5/07 6:49:10PM
I f he doesn't go to prison again, I hope they let him fight in Japan against Fedor. I would laught my butt off when Fedor dotted him up on the feet and then took him down. A vicious GnP victory that Jim Lampley can watch, and learn that pure boxers can't compete with a mixed martial artist.
pv3Hpv3p
3/5/07 6:55:39PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I f he doesn't go to prison again, I hope they let him fight in Japan against Fedor. I would laught my butt off when Fedor dotted him up on the feet and then took him down. A vicious GnP victory that Jim Lampley can watch, and learn that pure boxers can't compete with a mixed martial artist.

No doubt Fedor would own Iron Mike in a MMA match, but dot him up on his feet?

I don't know about that... Fedor's got good standup and all, but we're talking Tyson here, who in his prime was one of the fastest most powerful HW ever...

Fedor would take Mike down and ratchet on a kimura 2 minutes in...
loller90278
3/5/07 6:57:45PM
well tyson has been practicing muy thai and i BELIEVE jiu jitsu (dont quote me on that) but stand up, fedor would pick him apart.

yes, i do know who mike tyson is and i have seen his LATEST matches.. after all the rage left his body he just seems to not have it in him anymore.

i'd like to see tyson vs TK or tyson vs mark hunt more
xchickox
3/5/07 6:59:07PM
imagine if tyson did catch fedor with one and knocked him...we all know tyson is one of, if not the most power striker of all time, and one big punch could knock anyone out

but it would get messy if tyson got taken down and fedor just destroyed him, tyson would probably bite his ear off
hippysmacker
3/5/07 7:01:58PM
I disagree, Tyson is a shell of his former self. He hasn't lost a step, he's lost strides IMO Tyson from 1989 would destroy Fedor in a boxing only match I agree, Thsi is not that guy, even his last few boxing matches, his handspeed , overall skill level, and definately his will seemed signifacantly diminshed to me. It wouldn't matter how bad Tyson got owned by Fedor to Lampley now that i think about it, he would just point out all the things I just did,
madmarck
3/5/07 7:12:17PM
God i hope not. That Tatoo is the worst ever. I hope he fights Wand, then Wand KO's him and stands over him yelling "this is what a tat on your head is supposed to look like!"
But i dont seriously see Tyson being a threat in the MMA world. He is just gettin to old, he doesnt have enough youthfullness left in him ot learn a ground game. Maybe let him fihgt Lesanr in order to give Brock some cred.
cowcatcher
3/5/07 7:13:55PM
if they told tyson he could land a big contract if he beat or had a good showing against fedor he may come out with the intensity he used to have. the guy has major money problems and that could end up being a huge motivating factor for him. either way his skill level isn't what it was and fedor would kill him on the ground, but with a fire lit under his ass he could make it interesting on the feet, at least for a little while
Berti
3/5/07 7:24:20PM
he did an interview with chris mathews of fox sports net, and quote, i will never fight a competitive fight again in my life, unquote...he will only do sparring, limited contact...and that isnt even sparring, more of a photoshoot...
gimmper
3/5/07 8:04:51PM
wowwww...I am speechless...but seriously Jeremy Williams another heavyweight boxing contender at one time is making his splash into MMA...I am rooting for him...we need true strikers in the sport.
jdubs
3/5/07 8:52:37PM

Posted by xchickox

imagine if tyson did catch fedor with one and knocked him...we all know tyson is one of, if not the most power striker of all time, and one big punch could knock anyone out

but it would get messy if tyson got taken down and fedor just destroyed him, tyson would probably bite his ear off

all it takes is one good punch, that goes for anyone, fedor, hunt, cabbage
Gogoplata
3/5/07 11:12:46PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Although Lampley is DEFINITELY a hater on UFC, I think that if you put a boxer into the octagon with a mixed martial artist, with UFC or Pride rules, he gets owned. If you put a pure mixed martial artist into the boxing ring with a pure boxer, with boxing rules, he will get owned. They're just too different on so many levels. Different strategies, different gameplans, different styles. Too hard to compare, even if they are both combat sports.

Now, back to Lampley. I like this guy as a boxing commentator, but man is he biased. Obviously he gets paid by HBO, so he hypes up boxing and is a pure boxing guy. But dude completely lives in the past when it comes to MMA. Every time I hear him talk about it on Jim Rome, he still likens it to "street brawling" or "bar room brawling." What an f'n moron. He has no clue how the sport has evolved and you must be well versed in not only boxing, but several other disciplines in order to survive.

Next time Lampley wants to comment on something he knows NOTHING about, he should think twice.
gimmper
3/5/07 11:18:12PM
I agree Bengal Fan...Lampley is scared to face the truth...men have fought since the beginning of time...different styles..we are living in an age when the melting pot is finally coming together...As the styles combine we are getting a new breed...a gluttonous breed...a true gladiator sport...he will not except that until UFC offers him a contract...which they won't..hahahaha Lampley...hahha
Sagat_GSP12
3/6/07 1:35:40PM
If he does ever fight why would someone like Fedor or anybody else who is even half established in MMA take a fight with him? If you beat him it really does nothing to your resume. Tyson would have a puncher's chance, not to mention the fact he's crazy and capable of anything.
That said he is usually VERY entertaining to watch, I just don't see why any MMA fighter would accept a fight with him unless it was a guy who wanted some major publicity.
waylon_o
3/6/07 1:37:28PM
He should go over to Kimo's organization...the wrestling-themed mma fights. He would fit in perfectly and that would give them a name at least. Since I don't really consider Kimo a name...
Rich78
3/6/07 1:40:01PM
Hasn't Tyson recently done a tour of Europe doing talks and fighting exhibition bouts with no hopers? Think he knows it won't be a good idea to go against anyone world class, let alone mma fighters. He can't be that stupid surely. Everyone has a punchers chance, but I don't think he'd be that keen to do a Pride or any other show soon.
waylon_o
3/6/07 1:42:12PM
I know he was seriously saying that he was going to fight some woman in texas...she was like the hw champ and she was supposedly the best woman boxer...but she came out and said she didn't know what the hell he was talking about and she would never fight mike tyson hahahaha he would kill a woman
madmarck
3/6/07 2:54:26PM

Posted by waylon_o

I know he was seriously saying that he was going to fight some woman in texas...she was like the hw champ and she was supposedly the best woman boxer...but she came out and said she didn't know what the hell he was talking about and she would never fight mike tyson hahahaha he would kill a woman

A HW woman? Man chicks over 200lb are not right IMO. Keep it at FW ladies. I dont mean to be sexist............ but i know one butch chick and thats enoguh for me.
waylon_o
3/6/07 2:59:07PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by waylon_o

A HW woman? Man chicks over 200lb are not right IMO. Keep it at FW ladies. I dont mean to be sexist............ but i know one butch chick and thats enoguh for me.

LOL dude the weight classes aren't the same in women's boxing as they are in men's. That's pretty funny though.
Dadaman
3/6/07 7:23:24PM
I hope not. Tyson needs to stick to clubs and cocaine. His time is over.
ryderstrong69
3/10/07 12:10:44AM
who wants to see a washed up boxer fight mma i might have like to have seen it 10yrs ago but even then tyson would have been owned
BloodandTears
3/10/07 4:24:42PM
If he does fight it will be against a no name fighter probabaly. Who knows he may be the next butterbean? Hey there ya go, Tyson vs Butterbean.
We_Todd_Did
3/10/07 7:02:28PM

Posted by Gogoplata

Posted by hippysmacker

Although Lampley is DEFINITELY a hater on UFC, I think that if you put a boxer into the octagon with a mixed martial artist, with UFC or Pride rules, he gets owned. If you put a pure mixed martial artist into the boxing ring with a pure boxer, with boxing rules, he will get owned. They're just too different on so many levels. Different strategies, different gameplans, different styles. Too hard to compare, even if they are both combat sports.

Now, back to Lampley. I like this guy as a boxing commentator, but man is he biased. Obviously he gets paid by HBO, so he hypes up boxing and is a pure boxing guy. But dude completely lives in the past when it comes to MMA. Every time I hear him talk about it on Jim Rome, he still likens it to "street brawling" or "bar room brawling." What an f'n moron. He has no clue how the sport has evolved and you must be well versed in not only boxing, but several other disciplines in order to survive.

Next time Lampley wants to comment on something he knows NOTHING about, he should think twice.

Sorry for being OT, but I can't help but wonder how Lampley's public critique of MMA will be affected if/when HBO starts airing UFC fights.Surely HBO won't let him slander one of their products.
mkiv9secsupra
3/11/07 4:55:19AM
ha i would love to see his cocky ass take a left head kick from hell, or some GnP from fedor, or hell.....even an arm bar from big nog! i just wanna see him get put on someone elses highlight reel.
Sam_Rothstein
3/24/07 4:53:58AM
i would dish out $40 to watch mike tyson fight even the lowest level of pride fighter. i dont see why not give him a shot against sum other guy.

granted he probably doesnt have a chance at all at mma, but who knows with the right training? i mean shit everyones got a chance to win a fight, and with ko power of tyson he could be a great striker
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:39:58AM
no he is retired and should stay that way...most overrated boxer in history
BloodandTears
3/24/07 12:43:16PM

Posted by gimmper

wowwww...I am speechless...but seriously Jeremy Williams another heavyweight boxing contender at one time is making his splash into MMA...I am rooting for him...we need true strikers in the sport.

I agree, there is some good strikers in the sport, but we could always use more.
Ogre365
5/17/07 4:12:22PM
I don't know about that... Fedor's got good standup and all, but we're talking Tyson here, who in his prime was one of the fastest most powerful HW ever...

That may be the case, but he isn't in his prime anymore, and probably will never get close to it again. He seemed to fall apart after going to prison.
pv3Hpv3p
5/17/07 4:21:34PM

Posted by ryderstrong69

no he is retired and should stay that way...most overrated boxer in history

Tyson has fallen way off, but to call him "the most over-rated boxer in history" is just a joke... Or you've never seen a Tyson fight when he was in his prime... If you look at his carreer, after Cus DaMato (SP?? his old trainer) died is when he went off the deep end or at least is what started the ball rolling... While he was training up in the Catskills with Cus, he was looking to be the most dominant HW fighter since Rocky Marciano or maybe ever. His speed and power have never been surpassed or even matched to this day.
Pages: [1] 2