Tyron Woodley signs new UFC contract, wants to fight Jake Shields in April or May

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tyron Woodley signs new UFC contract, wants to fight Jake Shields in April or May
FastKnockout
2/20/13 8:43:08PM
Fresh off a superb KO win over Jay Hieron at UFC 156, welterweight Tyron Woodley has a new UFC contract and wants fellow ex-Strikeforce fighter Jake Shields as his next opponent.

Link
DrivenDavies15
2/20/13 9:03:46PM
I wouldn't mind this fight at all. Makes sense and should be pretty competitive.
sparky
2/20/13 9:13:51PM
Woodley is a beast who will only continue to get better. I say if he can keep the fight standing he beats Shields easily. If Shields can get a takedown it could be a whole different story.
tcunningham
2/20/13 9:39:49PM
he looked great in his last fight with hieron. im glad to see he is evolving and isnt just a wrestler anymore. i got the feeling that was happening in strikeforce but that loss to nate put him on the right track.
kopower
2/20/13 10:39:16PM

Posted by sparky

Woodley is a beast who will only continue to get better. I say if he can keep the fight standing he beats Shields easily. If Shields can get a takedown it could be a whole different story.

This. What's crazy is Shields striking game has never evolved. He actually looked halfway decent against GSP, and I thought he was making progress. Ever since then, and before that fight, it has been garbage.

I would also worry about T Wood's gas tank, but at 170, Jake's gas tank isn't that great either.
OnyxShadow
2/20/13 11:32:14PM
What is the upside to a fight with Shields?

Jake is now entirely unranked, but as far as guys outside the top 10 he is probably one of the best fighters. Also, even if Woodley wins, good chance the fight will be boring.

Bad call.
jae_1833
2/21/13 12:25:42AM
Shields was kept...what's the difference between him and Fitch? Oh, that's the difference! He's not as good...
frizzzlecake
2/21/13 12:38:15AM
Classic; explosive vs. well conditioned I like it.
Bubbles
2/22/13 3:55:57PM
I thought Shields was staying at 185?