Which type of athlete has the best potential in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which type of athlete has the best potential in MMA
fullerene
11/13/07 11:04:23AM
Pretend you're Pat Militech and you're asked to work with a 20-25 year old fighter with one of the backgrounds in the poll and try to turn him into an MMA champion. Which one's training and/or proven athletecism gives him the best long-term potential?

Well, my poll died so here it is in text form:

1. An Abu-Dhabi champion
2. An olympic judoka
3. An olympic freestyle wrestler
4. A K-1 champion
5. An olympic boxing champion
6. A muay thai Lumpinee stadium champion
7. An American football all-american linebacker
Kainlock
11/13/07 11:09:46AM
background in wrestling is the best way to go. With names like Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Randy Couture. Even guys like Josh Koscheck, Sean Sherk ( Non Roided), and Joe Stevenson. All these guys started with a background in wrestling. Just look at TUF 1 how Koscheck with little experince outside of wrestling almost beat Diego and could hae won the whole thing with a couple of weeks of training.
CornishMMA
11/13/07 11:10:44AM
3. Wrestler, every time wrestler, just look at randy and hughes for proof
tuvok500
11/13/07 11:11:23AM
An olympic freestyle wrestler !!

Rush
11/13/07 11:15:00AM
In the UFC a wrestler. Their rules and the cage cater to this style of fighting.
Mastodon2
11/13/07 12:14:08PM

Posted by Rush

In the UFC a wrestler. Their rules and the cage cater to this style of fighting.

This is MMA, and the rules of most organisations these days heavily favour wrestlers. Obviously, a good wrestling back ground is the way to go.
cowcatcher
11/13/07 12:31:45PM
gotta say wrestling too for reasons stated above.
themmadigest
11/13/07 1:30:43PM
If I had to pick one I'd pick An olympic freestyle wrestler
roadking95th
11/13/07 3:26:56PM
With your choices, I'd have to go with the Olympic Freestyle wrestler. I would prefer to have an Olympic Greco-Roman wrestler though.
Mayhem13
11/13/07 3:31:02PM
3 followed by 6
BigEvil
11/13/07 6:03:38PM
I say Judoka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k wrestler...
pv3Hpv3p
11/13/07 6:26:26PM
Most wrestlers are cardio monsters
KeNn
11/13/07 7:10:48PM
6. A muay thai Lumpinee stadium champion

Most dominant.
MMAFightClothes
11/13/07 7:49:40PM
Wrestling guy. They seem to turn out the best.

Kevin
MMA Fight Clothes
Rush
11/13/07 9:06:01PM

Posted by Mastodon2

This is MMA, and the rules of most organisations these days heavily favour wrestlers. Obviously, a good wrestling back ground is the way to go.

If it was Pride I probably wouldn't have said wrestling.

Another perspective of wrestling that I didn't mention is that it seems that you can teach a wrestler to be a decent striker, but you cannot teach a great striker to be a good wrestler.

And I am talking about all round wrestling not just being able to sprawl.
KeNn
11/13/07 9:14:08PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Mastodon2

Another perspective of wrestling that I didn't mention is that it seems that you can teach a wrestler to be a decent striker, but you cannot teach a great striker to be a good wrestler.

And I am talking about all round wrestling not just being able to sprawl.

I have to disagree, me and a good friend of mine we boxed together, and were good strikers, we later joined wrestling in school he won provincials, we were partners, and were about equal in talent, but I had to quit because of a injury.

But you probably have more experience then me, and probably have saw more.
So you'd know better then I.
Rush
11/13/07 10:02:58PM
I should have stated that what I said, not only is my opinion, but it is also not a all or nothing either. I'm not saying that a striker cannot be a great wrestler, but if you took 100 strikers and 100 wrestlers (top in each of their respective styles) the vast majority of the 100, I think, would fit the situation I mentioned above.

I've also heard at least a couple other people in MMA say a similar thing.

I also noticed that you said you had 2 yrs boxing experience in the training room. No offence to you, but someone that I would consider an expert in either striking or grappling would have 10 yrs minimum of experience. So I would still consider you and your buddy pretty green as strikers.

I've been doing wrestling/Jujutsu/Judo/aikido (all grappling arts) for 17 years and still feel like I am just starting to understand the basics. I have seen a number of people come in that did striking and all have a hard time adjusting.

However, I have never seen the other side of the spectrum.
Mastodon2
11/14/07 2:42:44AM

Posted by Rush

I agree, but unfortunately now Pride is gone , which is a shame because it did give everyone a more equal footing. Now we are stuck with the wrestling oriented organisations.

As for the guy who said a Lumpini stadium champ would be the most dominant, unfortunately I have to disagree. He would murder anyone in the stand up, but all that goes out the window when you get pushed againsed the cage, taken down and then layed on until the fight is over.
cmill21
11/14/07 3:54:41AM
I think if it's in the cage it's obviously got to go to the wrestler. In K-1 hero's or M-1(if they use the ring) then I would say slight edge to the wrestler but still allows for some exciting fights and forces that wrestler to finish that fight.
aaa9erh8er
11/14/07 10:08:26PM
hands down wrystlers have to it gives you a good base on the ground to stem form for bjj or other things, also they are usually strong and thats good on your feet and on the ground also cardio is key as well as being very disaplined.
KeNn
11/14/07 11:36:00PM

Posted by Rush

I should have stated that what I said, not only is my opinion, but it is also not a all or nothing either. I'm not saying that a striker cannot be a great wrestler, but if you took 100 strikers and 100 wrestlers (top in each of their respective styles) the vast majority of the 100, I think, would fit the situation I mentioned above.

I've also heard at least a couple other people in MMA say a similar thing.

I also noticed that you said you had 2 yrs boxing experience in the training room. No offence to you, but someone that I would consider an expert in either striking or grappling would have 10 yrs minimum of experience. So I would still consider you and your buddy pretty green as strikers.

I've been doing wrestling/Jujutsu/Judo/aikido (all grappling arts) for 17 years and still feel like I am just starting to understand the basics. I have seen a number of people come in that did striking and all have a hard time adjusting.

However, I have never seen the other side of the spectrum.

17 years? wow, thats a long time.
But yeah I never said I was a professional boxer, though I didn't have no problem sparring hard with guys with tons of experience. I'm a natural wrestler though, I felt right at home on the mat right off the get go. I now understand your point, I thought you meant that everybody who was used to striking, could not wrestle. But from how you explained it now, i get what your saying.