two diff stances for two different styles

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » two diff stances for two different styles
jgtribbett
7/25/07 9:53:16AM
I wrestle right foot forward and box/kickbox left foot forward. my hooks are lacking good solid footwork because of this... anyone else had a similar problem
danny81
7/25/07 3:03:45PM
me ii just leaernd to wrestle left foot forward
Rush
7/25/07 4:36:08PM
I was originally going to reply to this with a link to a thread regarding wrestling vs. boxing and feet forward, but I realized the question being asked (I think) is different

Are you asking how you can improve your hook in general or is your hook better on one side and are looking to improve that one side?

Either way I cannot help because I'm a grappler myself, but I thought I might help try and clarify it for others.
The-Don
6/23/08 11:46:56AM

Posted by jgtribbett

I wrestle right foot forward and box/kickbox left foot forward. my hooks are lacking good solid footwork because of this... anyone else had a similar problem

I have a similiar problem and its one of the things I am currently working on.. I think it is very common. It is also something I am going to work on in my classes with my younger students... I am going to have them training from both sides equally so as they get older they feel comfortable in either stancegrappling or striking.. as for the older students and guys like myself... it is going to take more work.. for now I am working on learning to strike better from a right lead stance.. my punches came along easy.. its my kicking that I need help on... and I am going to be working with heavily with my Muay Thai coach and Tang soo do coach
fedorwins1
6/23/08 2:03:07PM
My only advice is to pick a side and stick with that side. You can't really throw strikes and then switch legs and shoot, because the person will see it from a mile away.
artofdefense
6/28/08 9:32:40AM
You have to drill everything you do on both sides equally. You will not always have the luxury of being allowed a certain stance, particularly if a grappler rushes you. I'd say learn to wrestle and kickbox competently on both sides bro. It'll be a bit tedious at first, but it's worth it.
Jackelope
6/28/08 9:51:55AM
I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole.

It's my personal philosophy that you make the choice now whether you're a grappler or a striker. I wouldn't presume to know what's best for the TS, but trying to turn a right hander into a southpaw is something you do when they're really, really young. You don't go teaching an old dog a new way to bark. It's like chasing your tail IMO.
The-Don
6/28/08 2:12:29PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole.

It's my personal philosophy that you make the choice now whether you're a grappler or a striker. I wouldn't presume to know what's best for the TS, but trying to turn a right hander into a southpaw is something you do when they're really, really young. You don't go teaching an old dog a new way to bark. It's like chasing your tail IMO.

I have to disagree a little... I have jsut started in Muay thai... I am a righty but grapple in a right foot foward stance.. Luckily for my my Muay Thai instructor is also a Jeet Kun Do instructor which is a style that allows a right hander to stand with a right lead stance... So he is tailoring the Muay Thai so it will be effective for me from the right lead stance as well as working on a more tradation stance. My only weak spot is going to be my left kicks from a right lead stance.. my hands I think will have no problem adjusting as I have always done my punching drills practicing from both sides .. I should have been doing my kicks as wellas I guess.. I think it will come down to the individual... tre are some people who just do not have the background to learn to fight fromthe alternate stance.
fedorwins1
6/28/08 5:31:30PM
Also, some people (including myself) aren't very good and will never be any good at switching stances. I have an orthodox stance and when I switch to southpaw, everything gets messed up, I'm basically in a point fighting karate stance then. If I try to adjust it feels very awkward and my punches have no speed on them. The only thing I can throw decent in the southpaw stance is my left leg body kick. I'm not ambidextrous at all, some people can do it, and do it well, but I don't think I'll ever be able to be efficient as a southpaw (and yes I do practice, a lot actually, in the southpaw stance I've tried to become better at it).
Pookie
6/28/08 5:37:04PM

Posted by The-Don

Luckily for my my Muay Thai instructor is also a Jeet Kun Do instructor

i thought there were only like 2 people certified to teach jeet kune do in the world? and one of them doesnt teach at all anymore.