UFC 76 "The TUFers get thrown to the wolves."

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 76 "The TUFers get thrown to the wolves."
Next Page »
POLL: Bigger mismatch
Liddell v. Jardine 44% (34)
Shogun v. Griffin 52% (40)
Fitch v. Sanchez 4% (3)
ncordless
7/24/07 4:18:58AM
Anyone else notice that this whole card so far is TUFers getting put in matches where they are underdogs? I'm not complaining, I love it actually. It just seems odd for the UFC to do.
Northrend
7/24/07 4:48:04AM
Shogun/Forrest biggest mismatch
hippysmacker
7/24/07 4:53:25AM
It's not like it the first time they have fought top 10 guys IMO, except for Jardine. Sanchez has fought 3 top 10 guys ( Diaz, Karo, Koshcheck) at the time he fought them. Forrest has fought Tito in the top 10. Jardine 2 best opponents to me ,are Forrest and Gouvea, who are maybe top 15. I do agree that all have tough fights though. I make Sanchez/Fitch 50/50. I also think Liddell/Jardine and Shogun/ Forrest only have about a 10% chance of upset.
Stickan
7/24/07 9:02:27AM
i think these are all pretty good match-ups actually. People are fast to claim fights to be mismatches but I've seen way worse mismatches than this. Fitch - Sanchez should be a really really good fight and I don't know if someone can be called favorite in this bout. It's definately not a mismatch.
Forrest - Shogun is a mismatch in many peopleĀ“s eyes but I think match-up-wise this can be a really good scrap. Forrest probably has the size and strength advantage and even though Shoguns stand-up is more technical he's known for getting tagged a few times before he really turns it up in his fights. Shogun will probably win but Forrest will put up a way better fight than people expects.

Jardine - Liddell is a good fight because they're both coming off devastating losses and you know it's gonna end with a bang. Jardine is gonna be a good test for Chuck to where he's at in his carreer and if he's getting to old to compete with the up and comers.
scoozna
7/24/07 9:19:35AM
I like Jardine, but I don't think he has what it takes to out box Liddell.
I think Forrest could get hurt. Then again, he seems to like that.
Sanchez / Fitch should be great.
AchillesHeel
7/24/07 10:19:35AM
I don't think of Jardine, Griffin and Sanchez as just "TUF guys" anymore. They're UFC fighters, and pretty good ones too, recent fights notwithstanding. I think it's perfectly reasonable to put them into fights against top guys and see how they perform. All three guys can gain some cred by doing well, even if they lose, like Rashad Evans did against Tito Ortiz.
postman
7/24/07 10:39:49AM
you have to step up and fight the big boys some time
Taylor8766
7/24/07 11:32:33AM
Liddell/Jardine definetly Liddell former champ and Jardine just got KO in 48s where as in the Griffin?Rua fight both fighters are coming of wins and Griffin is going to come into this fight prepared and Shogun might come in thinking he's gunna walk through him.
Trapt1nw0nder
7/24/07 3:42:29PM

Posted by Stickan

i think these are all pretty good match-ups actually. People are fast to claim fights to be mismatches but I've seen way worse mismatches than this. Fitch - Sanchez should be a really really good fight and I don't know if someone can be called favorite in this bout. It's definately not a mismatch.
Forrest - Shogun is a mismatch in many peopleĀ“s eyes but I think match-up-wise this can be a really good scrap. Forrest probably has the size and strength advantage and even though Shoguns stand-up is more technical he's known for getting tagged a few times before he really turns it up in his fights. Shogun will probably win but Forrest will put up a way better fight than people expects.

Jardine - Liddell is a good fight because they're both coming off devastating losses and you know it's gonna end with a bang. Jardine is gonna be a good test for Chuck to where he's at in his carreer and if he's getting to old to compete with the up and comers.

Totally agree...
_GSP_
7/24/07 5:33:20PM
When i saw the cards i thought exactly the same the tuf guys are getting sent to the gas chamber i mean cmon forrest vs shogun , know that would be the biggest upset in mma history he aint got the heavy hands to knock shogun out and aint has technical and even rampage coudnt bring him down so forget the ground game . jardine will be knock out fast . but does who say sanchez his an underdog vs fitch dont know sanchez or overestimate Fitch
nubby
7/24/07 6:15:45PM

Posted by _GSP_

When i saw the cards i thought exactly the same the tuf guys are getting sent to the gas chamber i mean cmon forrest vs shogun , know that would be the biggest upset in mma history he aint got the heavy hands to knock shogun out and aint has technical and even rampage coudnt bring him down so forget the ground game . jardine will be knock out fast . but does who say sanchez his an underdog vs fitch dont know sanchez or overestimate Fitch

I think Sanchez is going to win against Fitch.
SpiderSilva
7/24/07 6:18:39PM
lets just put it this way Shogun has donenothing in the cage he could easly get dominated if he is not carful just because he was the man in pride the rules have changed as well as not just standing in the middle of the ring he can get pressed against the cage not just have the fight stoped and moved to the middle no dis to him but time will tell
johny_rotten
7/24/07 6:30:43PM
I think Rua/Forrest and Fitch/Sanchez are good matches. Both those guys will make a fight with anyone, win, lose, or draw. Jardine/Chuck is just awful in my opionon. This fight should last until Chuck throws his first set of punches. Chuck is way to high on the UFC totem poll to be fighting someone this low.
hardhitta513
7/24/07 10:04:59PM
i think i read that jardine is who wanted that fight i dont have nothin in me to say he will win he has a chance but liddell is a monster he wasn ready fo rampage this is a good match tho 2 hard hitters. i think forrest beats shogun shogun won alot wen kickin downed opponents cant do that no more an i got sanchez to beat fitch but that is a more even fight than the others i think we al would agree.
Blacklist26
7/24/07 11:34:46PM
Liddell has beaten the best in the world, I don't see how Jardine is a threat.

The reason I didn't pick Rua/Griffin is because all of the recent UFC debuts from Pride veterans as of late have been pretty unspectacular, so I don't even think Griffin winning would be considered that much of an upset.

I would have much rather seen Rua/Machina... which was rumored before Griffin had confirmed.
Ultimate_fighter
7/25/07 12:55:47AM

Posted by Northrend

Shogun/Forrest biggest mismatch

yea, big tim big time... but if forrest wins this, IF forrest wins this he will prob get a title shot... that what i hope... if he beats one of the best LHW in the world he gets the title shot... I dont think the sanchez fight is a mismatch, i said sanchez would win split dec...
JunCTion
7/25/07 1:55:08AM

Posted by ncordless

Anyone else notice that this whole card so far is TUFers getting put in matches where they are underdogs? I'm not complaining, I love it actually. It just seems odd for the UFC to do.

maybe theyre hoping for someone to make a quick name and a jump to the top to mix things up a bit. they do consider the tufers the casual fans fighters with the free tv and all
mikevolz
7/25/07 2:15:32AM
i just don't see shogun losing. he pushes the pace and goes full bore, and is used to the 10 minute round.

i have fitch winning, just because i like fitch and despise sanchez.

but, i don't ever see liddell losing as a big upset, i think he's an over glorified one-dimensional fighter who people are way too scared of. look at the last ortiz/liddell fight. ortiz took his best shot on the chin, didn't take him out and he was still fighting scared, afraid to try and take him down.

if jardine isn't scared to take a punch and comes out swinging, i give him a 50/50 chance to win it. otherwise, hes a deadman.
johny_rotten
7/25/07 2:31:49AM

Posted by hardhitta513

i think i read that jardine is who wanted that fight i dont have nothin in me to say he will win he has a chance but liddell is a monster he wasn ready fo rampage this is a good match tho 2 hard hitters. i think forrest beats shogun shogun won alot wen kickin downed opponents cant do that no more an i got sanchez to beat fitch but that is a more even fight than the others i think we al would agree.

No when Wandy couldn't fight Chuck, Dana started grasping at straws, and Jardine was dumb enough to take the fight. I mean come on. He just suffered a flash KO, but now he thinks he can step in the ring with Chuck who most likely has the heaviest hands in the game.

I can't beleave how many people are all over Chuck now because of one loss. I hate Chuck, but damn people are jumping ship. He made a mistake, and got caught. It happens to everyone. Not even Fedor sports an undefeated record. It doesn't change how dominating he was up until that mistake.
hippysmacker
7/25/07 3:08:03AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by hardhitta513

No when Wandy couldn't fight Chuck, Dana started grasping at straws, and Jardine was dumb enough to take the fight. I mean come on. He just suffered a flash KO, but now he thinks he can step in the ring with Chuck who most likely has the heaviest hands in the game.

I can't beleave how many people are all over Chuck now because of one loss. I hate Chuck, but damn people are jumping ship. He made a mistake, and got caught. It happens to everyone. Not even Fedor sports an undefeated record. It doesn't change how dominating he was up until that mistake.

I agree, getting cauht doesn't make you a bad fighter. People jumped all over Wandy when he lost to Cro-cop ,then Hendo. I think both will return to form and their fight ( if it ever finally happens) will be a war. Some people just are bandwagoners.
Signal2112
7/25/07 9:21:56AM
I think it's going to be a great card, and Chuck and Keith should be a great match. I'm more excited about seeing Shogun though, he is just incredible!
thepunisher
7/25/07 9:47:53AM
I see the Shogun Forrest fight going like Franklin Silva and it will be Forrest who needs the nose job afterwards
pharside
7/25/07 10:27:12AM
If its known that everyone IS going to be tested and not could be tested look how small all the chute boxe guys get. Forrest looked like a pro boxer against Jardin and imo lost trying to be the bad ass everyone wants to see. he wouldn't back up when he got rocked.
Rush
7/25/07 10:30:20AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I don't think of Jardine, Griffin and Sanchez as just "TUF guys" anymore. They're UFC fighters, and pretty good ones too, recent fights notwithstanding. I think it's perfectly reasonable to put them into fights against top guys and see how they perform. All three guys can gain some cred by doing well, even if they lose, like Rashad Evans did against Tito Ortiz.

I agree. I am having a hard time to pick the winners of these fights with the exception of the Shogun fight.
LR
7/25/07 12:05:29PM
I think Fitch/Sanchez is a very good fight, especially after Fitch's last match, but saying the Shogun fight isn't a mismatch is poor research. Shogun will stalk Forrest around the ring, and overwhelm him. That's his game, and Forrest likes to try to counter, but he isn't the counterpuncher like Liddell or CroCop. He misses a lot at times when trying to counter. I don't see it as a great matchup. It isn't horribly mismatched, but Forrest needs to show up with crisp defense and good cardio.

Jardine, ugh. I've never liked his style, and I think he's just too cautious at times. Liddell is going to wait him out and counter. I don't like Liddell at all though. I think using his wrestling as a pure "get off the ground" move only is a mistake. That's why this fight is somewhat a tossup for me. This will prove whether Chuck was purely a fluke or if he can steal deal the KO punch.
Blacklist26
7/25/07 3:11:17PM
You also have to take into account that Griffin has fought many times in a cage setting and with elbows being legal... how much of a factor will that play on Rua, who (as good as he is) may suffer from a case of "UFC jitters".

Thoughts?
Scott_Revels
7/25/07 9:36:58PM
I don't think Sanchez/Fitch will be a "feeding to the wolves" situation, because they are pretty even, in my eyes. The others two, I would believe that is true. They are trying to build back up Chuck, and having him beat hard hitting Jardine will make him stronger in the public opinion, when really he hasn't changed, because he could've/will drop(ped) Jardine before losing the title.

As for Shogun/Griffin, why not put up your former star against your new star? Use the last of Griffin's stardom, to put over Shogun, so that when Shogun wins the Title, he'll have a great deal of fans, (more than just his loyal fans, but the fans who didn't know him, but will like him after the fight.)
Raiderz757
7/25/07 11:52:55PM
shogun griffen is the biggest mismatch but i think he has a chance regardless and i would love 2 c him win. i wouldnt put money on it but i would love 2 c him win
x_soa_x
7/26/07 12:14:25AM

Posted by Blacklist26

You also have to take into account that Griffin has fought many times in a cage setting and with elbows being legal... how much of a factor will that play on Rua, who (as good as he is) may suffer from a case of "UFC jitters".

Thoughts?

Shogun's fought in a cage before.
wilwith1l
7/26/07 1:34:39AM
You also have to account for Shogun being a monster. Ricardo Arona, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Quinton Jackson, Alistair Overeem, and Kazuhiro Nakamura. I almost feel sorry for Forrest, but at least he has nothing to lose.
Pages: [1] 2