Should TUF winners get instant title shots?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Should TUF winners get instant title shots?
POLL: Should TUF winners get immediate title shots?
No 89% (34)
Yes 11% (4)
Tailgunner
11/22/07 5:18:26PM
Alot has been said lately about Serra-Rashad etc......Should some washed up/rinsed out has beens get immediate title shots just because they win a reality TV show?

I think the UFC is disrespecting the real contenders by allowing this.
puppetmaster837
11/22/07 5:21:41PM
Well seeing as after Serra won the show he knocked out the #1 welterweight in the world to gain the title. Yeah, it seems like he might have deserved a shot. And not all the winners get immediate title shots, it was only one season and all the fighters on that season were already UFC veterans.
Tailgunner
11/22/07 5:29:46PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

Well seeing as after Serra won the show he knocked out the #1 welterweight in the world to gain the title. Yeah, it seems like he might have deserved a shot. And not all the winners get immediate title shots, it was only one season and all the fighters on that season were already UFC veterans.

No matter what Serra did by winning the fight there are at least 5 guys in the WW division that were more deserving of a title fight!

What if Serra got smoked? Would you say he still deserved a title shot?

After Serra gets bitch slapped by Hughes or GSP next he will disappear from the WW contention real fast.

Fitch puts together 15 straight wins in a row.......yet Serra who has 3 fights and 3 losses in 3 years gets a title shot because he won a reality TV show???

Sorry but its fu*king bullsh*t.
tuvok500
11/22/07 5:35:57PM
I think Dana will never make another mistake like TUF 4 direct shot !!

the risk of losing is always there in a mma fight and even if a guy is favorite by far, everything can happen and he may not be at his best for his fight like we saw with GSP or even Silva who was fighting with 2 bad knees and was there anyway to fight. i am sure that if they were fighting the real #2 in there division, they were going to delay the fight du to injuree for Silva and personnal factor for GSP .

DJDark41
11/22/07 6:03:47PM
No. Winning TUF should NOT put you into an instant title shot. Mostly because, it would be disrespectful to the champs, we would have to wait forever between title shots because we'd have to wait for the TUF season to tape, then air, then allow for time after the show airs for promotion/more training, and don't even get started on injuries. And plus, most TUFers couldn't hang with the champs, let alone a Top 10'er in their weight class.
cmill21
11/22/07 6:26:38PM
Nate diaz should get a fight against BJ. Just because i'd like to see him beating poor nate all over the octagon and acctually standing up and asking the crowd if he should break his arm while nate squirms trying to get out. Lol is this a joke thread? Kendal grove just got KTFO by Cote, him against silva would be a blood bath.
xchickox
11/22/07 6:34:37PM
i dont think it was a mistake because serra won his and lutter put up a good fight and had silva in trouble for a bit of that fight

but from other seasons, no way they aren't nearly ready for the title shot
cmill21
11/22/07 7:17:39PM

Posted by xchickox

i dont think it was a mistake because serra won his and lutter put up a good fight and had silva in trouble for a bit of that fight

Well TUF 4 was a bunch of experienced UFC fighters, not guys like wayne weems and blake bowman.
Pitbull09
11/22/07 7:30:37PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

I wish I could have voted No about 100 times. This is the worst idea the UFC ever produced and it should never happen again. Contenders who actually earned there right as a contender (Fitch, ect.) wait and wait to get the shot they deserve when Matt Serra who has never proven he deserves a shot, beats a bunch of has beens (who also have never shown they deserve a shot) and he gets to cut line and earn a punchers chance at the title (which is exactly what happened).

TUF can be a really bad show for MMA just because it overhypes fighters and makes easily manipulated fans think they are top contender fighters cause they watched that show the whole season.

Serra will never be a fighter to compare to the top competition and the Pierre fight was a joke.
Pitbull09
11/22/07 7:33:33PM

Posted by xchickox

Lutter is a even bigger joke cause he wasnt dedicated enough to lose enough weight to have it be a title fight. Also a better way to say it was, he "almost" got silva in trouble. Any other fighter could have locked that triangle in but he couldnt. I cant believe how much damage TUF 4 has produced
Tailgunner
11/22/07 7:37:57PM

Posted by Pitbull09

[
I wish I could have voted No about 100 times. This is the worst idea the UFC ever produced and it should never happen again. Contenders who actually earned there right as a contender (Fitch, ect.) wait and wait to get the shot they deserve when Matt Serra who has never proven he deserves a shot, beats a bunch of has beens (who also have never shown they deserve a shot) and he gets to cut line and earn a punchers chance at the title (which is exactly what happened).

TUF can be a really bad show for MMA just because it overhypes fighters and makes easily manipulated fans think they are top contender fighters cause they watched that show the whole season.

Serra will never be a fighter to compare to the top competition and the Pierre fight was a joke.

+1000 Pitbull gets it right.........Serra,Lutter etc HAD to compete on TUF because their fighting careers WERE OVER!!!!!!!

TUF 4 was disrespectful and a slap in the face for any REAL contender and to any intelligent MMA fan!
hippysmacker
11/22/07 7:37:57PM
I heard the only reason the TUF 5 guys got a title shot is that they needed a incentive to get proven fighters to go on the show. In addition it was a way to get Lindland back in the UFC, but that fell through later.No new guys off the street should ever get one IMO, and I highly doubt the UFC would even consider it.
Naturaldisaster
11/22/07 7:49:49PM
TUF winners dont get instant title shots. serra did because that was the stipulation for that season. and no they would never get an instant title shot
Kainlock
11/22/07 9:33:10PM
I think it was worth a shot to do it once, but I don't think we will see another one like this. Maybe I could see a middlewieght one done just becuase if Hederson loses then they won't have any clue who to throw in there with Anderson.
SpiderSilva
11/23/07 12:17:37AM
Should a TUF winner get a title shot?

Only if they win a show that gives them the chance too
MMAFightClothes
11/23/07 12:26:36AM
No way. Serra didn't deserve the title shot. All these other great fighters that are in there taking a beating and winning matches and he just comes in an wins the title? I don't like it.

I'm not taking anything away from Serra though, he beat GSP Fairley Squarely. :) (If you don't get the last line, I highly recommend reading the great MMA Quotes thread that was put up by Bemin)
Linye
11/23/07 9:24:45AM
NO
zephead
11/23/07 9:30:32AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by xchickox

Well TUF 4 was a bunch of experienced UFC fighters, not guys like wayne weems and blake bowman.

postman
11/23/07 1:27:39PM
I kinda look at tuf 4 as what you suggesting. I know the fighters may not have been the ones you would have picked but Serra won and Lutter put up a good fight. I don't think a guy like Mac or George should get a title fight and none of them have they get a contract but not a title fight. If Rashad were to get won it is because he has moved past the show and has yet to lose.
KYGUY07
11/28/07 8:37:56AM
no because what have you really done you've beaten a few guys who most of which are untested, and are no where near the caliber of the fighters who typically fight in the ufc
Lay_N_Pray
11/28/07 3:14:29PM
Serra deserved his because the rules said if you get through this tournament you get a shot at the title. Thats how it was setup so he deserves it. Obviously beating that many guys is impressive no matter what and GSP should have done his job and not taken Serra lightly but that wasn't the case.

Do any other winners deserve a title shot right away? No, not unless that is what the season is about.

But to say Serra didnt deserve it seems a little crazy since that is the sole reason all those guys were there, to get one last run at a title. Serra did and took advantage of it and became the top WW in the UFC (until December that is).
SexPanther
11/28/07 4:57:29PM
no you earn a title shot by defeating good fighters not winnign some tournament consisting mostly of bums