Any other "TUF Virgins" Out There?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Any other "TUF Virgins" Out There?
wolfman
3/31/08 9:11:02PM
I have only seen some of TUF 6, maybe half of the season and I enjoyed most of what I saw. So, I guess I'm technically not a complete "TUF Virgin". Anyways, when I first heard of TUF, I was reluctant to watch it. Even though it featured two of my favorite fighters as coaches. I just thought it was going to be another stupid reality show that would ruin UFC. Yeah, I was a hater at first. I have never liked reality shows and I figured this show was going to be the downfall of UFC.

Obviously, I was wrong and was simply a hater. I was mostly worried the show was going to turn UFC too mainstream and the fan base would only know of the fighters from the show and claim they were the best fighters. Yeah, there are obviously TUF fans out there that feel this way, but there are a lot of TUF fans that expanded their minds and researched the early UFC fights and PRIDE FC (For example, there are many here). Yeah, there are some bad things about the show, as I feel Dana protects some of the TUF guys and gives them better treatment than some of the veteran fighters who deserve better and some of the talent produced from the show has been weak. I am still shocked that Blake Bowman was allowed on the show, yet I guess he was there for comic relief as people have stated. However, I still think it is ridiculous that they probably passed on a good fighter who should have been in his place.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there are any other "TUF Virgins" out there and would like to know your thoughts on the show and what everyone else thinks who has seem them all. I would also like to add that I am really excited for this season, as I like both Forrest and Rampage. I also like the new format that Dana put in place. Looks like I am tuning into the show at a good time, as it appears to be given a breath of fresh air. Even though I had only seen some of TUF 6, I could tell how the format seemed a little stale. So, feel free to discuss the TUF series and the new show.

Sorry, it's a little long....if you finished this, I thank you for your time.

EDIT: In addition, I am aware of CornishMMA's TUF 7 Thread...I just wanted to get my personal thoughts out there and wanted to hear other people's views on the TUF series. Mostly, this topic is intended to see if there are others out there who have not seen the show yet, or have only seen some of the show(s) (like myself). As, I would like to know what their opinion is of the series and if they're excited for TUF 7 as well. So, if you want to only discuss TUF 7, then click on the link provided. Also, anyone can contribute obviously...it really doesn't matter if you have seen it or not. I am just curious to see if anyone else is somewhat new to the series.
loller90278
4/1/08 2:03:44AM
i watched most of season one, and like 2 episodes of the latest season (with mac)

never bothered to watch the others.
Kpro
4/1/08 2:13:21AM
I've seen bits and pieces of each show, and all of the finals. I don't watch every episode because Dana doesn't consult me as to which time-slot works best for my schedule. I think the show is extremely necessary to acquaint casual fans with mid-tier fighters.

I have been following MMA since the first UFC's, and personally can't stand the elitist fans who disregard those who became fans through things such as TUF. Newer fans have proven to be a great fan-base to propel the sport to new heights.

The more fans that follow the sport, regardless of how they get into it, is a massive snowball effect of more money for the promotion, the fighters, the trainers, better sponsors, etc.
WhiteWidow
4/1/08 5:27:39AM
i'll be honest i dont watch the "reality part" of the show....which is about 50 mins of the hour, only the 10 mins of fighting, i find it extremely stupid to waste this much time to get to know ppl who wont even make it in the UFC or much less MMA, might as well watch MTV, i've seen all the TUF's except 3 (the one kendal grove won i think) and all i did was watch something else until 50 mins at the hour
Jackelope
4/1/08 9:50:11AM
I had never seen it until last year when my buddy gave me season 2 of TUF to watch on DVD. He picked a good season to start me off on. I was hooked after watching the likes of Joe Stevenson and the heart of Luke Cummo. Rashad Evans, the greatest KO artist and fight finisher of our time, disgusted me (and he still does) but ultimately I thought it was good. I've only seen season 2, 5 and 6 but I like what it's done for the sport.

When I first got it I have to be honest and admit that I thought it was going to be more about the training than the drama. Turns out I was wrong. I think the show would be 500125423452345 X better if they actually showed practices and such, but the casual observer probably wouldn't want to see that. All in all a lot of dudes drive me nuts, but it's a good show.
pv3Hpv3p
4/1/08 10:16:11AM
I'm not much for reality shows in general, but I will normally flip back and forth and at least try to catch the fight at the end...

I guess, when it comes to TUF... It kinda really pisses me off... In the past, when Dana had a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" to make... I always used to get excited... Maybe he finally signed Fedor/Couture... Maybe they'll have a massive tournament... Maybe... Well you get the idea....

Nowadays, any time you hear a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" is to be made... It's just going to tell us who the next coaches are for a reality show, and that a title belt is going to be put on the shelf for X amount of time...

This is compete BULLSHIT! Dana gets on the goddamned TV and looks all uber-pleased with himself then feeds us this line of shit like it's a big fukin deal...

It's the coaches for a f'n reality show dude, it doesn't really matter... That and your making us wait for a title fight... and smiling about it... And we're supposed to be grateful???? WTF???? Golly, you'd think he'd have the common courtesy to give us a goddamn reacharound while he's fuc*in us over...

But hey, that's just the way, I see it... I suppose there's some folks that are into reality TV and they can dig it... But it really ticks me off...

And I guess to get back on topic, I am interested in seeing the first couple episodes this season and check out the new format ect....

But seriously... We as part of the MMA communtiy are trying to help along what Zuffa and the UFC has started in legitimizing the sport... We've come a long way, but how are "casual" fans or even people that don't give a shit gonna look at a sport that can put things as important as a championship belt on hold for the sake of reality TV? It's cheap-gimmicky-smoke-n-mirrors-mickey-mouse-bullshit and while it was a great start for bringing the sport to the popular eye, the continued use, and heavy reliance on, the "crutch" that is reality TV is making the sport feel more like a fad than anything else now a days...

Sorry about the novel, I'm on my 5th cup of coffee this moring and think I'm getting alittle fired up
emfleek
4/1/08 10:37:41AM

Posted by Kpro

I've seen bits and pieces of each show, and all of the finals. I don't watch every episode because Dana doesn't consult me as to which time-slot works best for my schedule. I think the show is extremely necessary to acquaint casual fans with mid-tier fighters.

I have been following MMA since the first UFC's, and personally can't stand the elitist fans who disregard those who became fans through things such as TUF. Newer fans have proven to be a great fan-base to propel the sport to new heights.

The more fans that follow the sport, regardless of how they get into it, is a massive snowball effect of more money for the promotion, the fighters, the trainers, better sponsors, etc.

I agree with everything said here. Except, I watch every episode. DVR is my friend.

Everyone was a newbie at some point. I hate elitist fans of ANYTHING.
wolfman
4/1/08 12:24:24PM
Good comments guys and I agree with what has been said. I also wish there was less drama on the show and more fights from what I have seen.
emfleek
4/1/08 1:05:17PM

Posted by wolfman

Good comments guys and I agree with what has been said. I also wish there was less drama on the show and more fights from what I have seen.

I doubt there will ever be less drama. In reality TV, drama = ratings. Sad, but true.
pv3Hpv3p
4/1/08 1:25:58PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by wolfman

I doubt there will ever be less drama. In reality TV, drama = ratings. Sad, but true.

You are definitely correct in saying that drama sells reality TV... But the thing that TUF has, that other shows don't, is another very sellable aspect, the fighting itself...

You need drama to watch 12 people just living in a house or driving around the country or vying for the love of a midget or whatever they're doing now, because the rest of it is boring... IMO, the majority of the audience for the Ultimate Fighter is watching for that fight in the end, for the most part anyhow...

I guess all I'm trying to say is that they have a much better product than reality TV as a whole, and in my honest opinion... It seems like that product would be just as sellable if they focused more on the fighting and training aspect of the situation and less on pingpong games, bowling, icecream cake and drunken dueshbaggery
emfleek
4/1/08 2:11:20PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by emfleek

Posted by wolfman

You are definitely correct in saying that drama sells reality TV... But the thing that TUF has, that other shows don't, is another very sellable aspect, the fighting itself...

You need drama to watch 12 people just living in a house or driving around the country or vying for the love of a midget or whatever they're doing now, because the rest of it is boring... IMO, the majority of the audience for the Ultimate Fighter is watching for that fight in the end, for the most part anyhow...

I guess all I'm trying to say is that they have a much better product than reality TV as a whole, and in my honest opinion... It seems like that product would be just as sellable if they focused more on the fighting and training aspect of the situation and less on pingpong games, bowling, icecream cake and drunken dueshbaggery

Look beyond the MMA fans. They want to attract the non-MMA fan, too, in hopes of turning them into an MMA fan.

I hate the drinking. I hate the bitching/moaning/bickering/breaking of things...but it sells. People, as a whole, love storylines. If there's bad blood between two fighters because of a fight that took place in the house (ie: Kos/Leben) then that adds to the fight.

It sells. It will always sell. Unfortunately.
DCRage
4/1/08 2:45:52PM
I started watching during season 2 and it did help a lot in terms of really getting me into UFC. It was the first of anything UFC I'd seen since the early UFC PPVs (at least around when they did "The Ultimate Ultimate", that's the first one I saw ads for). I don't mind the format too much although I always seem to find myself pulling for a particular underdog-at least I did in seasons 2 & 3 (Luke Cummo and Matt Hamill, respectively).
skinnator
4/1/08 6:40:27PM
I have all TUF 6 shows.

I didnt finished to view them yet.

But I can call myself a virgin of TUF.

I wont miss the event because I hope to see 2of the 3 Armenians fighting.

I also have a little question. How many videos does it take to have the Video bar under your name?
BloodReign
4/2/08 4:34:42AM
does it make me a TUF virgin if i hate it and wont watch it...this is one cherry i dont wanna pop
emfleek
4/2/08 9:29:52AM

Posted by BloodReign

does it make me a TUF virgin if i hate it and wont watch it...this is one cherry i dont wanna pop

No, it makes you a prude!