TUF 8 Strangeness

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » TUF 8 Strangeness
MoJoy
7/7/08 2:12:31PM
When these coaches where announced I figured they are gonna have a heavyweight season. Yeah not many of those guys who are elite, but it still would be a fun entertaining season with some projects. But its Welterweights and LHW's. What the hell. This makes no sense. First of all, why are Big Nog and Frank Mir fighting for the title. Arlovkski left, Randy is in a weird situation. But how did Werdum get dissed like that. Frank Mir beat a guy with a 1-0 record, who we really are not sure what kind of fighter he is. Before that hes getting knocked out by Brandon Vera. How can he put up for a title fight. And Big Nog, god bless him, he can barely speak english. How are they gonna understand him. You dont have to always have champs be coaches. They could have had guys who are seasoned and can fight each other but are not champs. Cause its stupid to delay title matches. Even stupider when its a guy who should not be fighting a title shot. Do they go to the old 16 on each side liek the earlier seasons. Do we know start out with 64 fighters cause its two weight classes. Why not do 1 weightclass at a time. it lets you have more seasons with variety. What was the rationale on this, puzzling.
grappler0000
7/7/08 2:28:33PM
Another HW season would be dissasterous...it's very difficult to find enough quality HW fighters that are not already in a major promotion...the numbers are just not there.

I think Nog's english is good enough for the show, but I can't comment on why they picked Mir, as I'm not sure of the logic. As far as it being Nog and a challenger, I think it's no coincidence that they keeping the HW belt tiedup while Zuffa figures out the Handy debacle...considering Nog is technically only an inerim champ at this point.
MFOTHER
7/7/08 4:25:51PM
yeh, there are alot of threads about this...
emfleek
7/7/08 4:31:28PM
Mir was sort of reinvented after his match with Lesnar. Millions and millions of NEW fans were watching that event to see the "unbeatable" Brock Lesnar. Well, it just so happens that this Frank Mir guy beat Lesnar. Maybe, just maybe, those new (read: WWE) fans are going to want to see him fight for a title soon. The UFC is just keeping Mir's name fresh in the minds of the casual fan, in my opinion. Building hype towards a main event.

Who, besides the hardcore MMA fan or Werdum nuthugger, really cares to see a Werdum/Nog matchup?
CCPRIDE99
7/7/08 9:44:56PM

Posted by MoJoy

When these coaches where announced I figured they are gonna have a heavyweight season. Yeah not many of those guys who are elite, but it still would be a fun entertaining season with some projects. But its Welterweights and LHW's. What the hell. This makes no sense. First of all, why are Big Nog and Frank Mir fighting for the title. Arlovkski left, Randy is in a weird situation. But how did Werdum get dissed like that. Frank Mir beat a guy with a 1-0 record, who we really are not sure what kind of fighter he is. Before that hes getting knocked out by Brandon Vera. How can he put up for a title fight. And Big Nog, god bless him, he can barely speak english. How are they gonna understand him. You dont have to always have champs be coaches. They could have had guys who are seasoned and can fight each other but are not champs. Cause its stupid to delay title matches. Even stupider when its a guy who should not be fighting a title shot. Do they go to the old 16 on each side liek the earlier seasons. Do we know start out with 64 fighters cause its two weight classes. Why not do 1 weightclass at a time. it lets you have more seasons with variety. What was the rationale on this, puzzling.

clementi and guillard should have been the coaches
just kidding
but perhaps okami and silva would have been better or get some crazy ass ratings by making it lesnar and kimbo
Pitbull09
7/8/08 12:50:33AM
I dislike seasons with two weight classes. I just shows that they are losing depth in the guys they are getting. 8 MW and 8LHW just means they will only need to win two fights to make the finals (TUF 8 was 4 to get into the finals). I am not interested in the season at all other than hopes that I can see Big nogs training for his team.
sammyd1213
7/8/08 1:24:09AM

Posted by Pitbull09

I dislike seasons with two weight classes. I just shows that they are losing depth in the guys they are getting. 8 MW and 8LHW just means they will only need to win two fights to make the finals (TUF 8 was 4 to get into the finals). I am not interested in the season at all other than hopes that I can see Big nogs training for his team.

Im with you. One weight division is far better than two.