TUF: The Smashes Settles on Two Weight Classes for First Aussie Ultimate Fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF: The Smashes Settles on Two Weight Classes for First Aussie Ultimate Fighter
FastKnockout
6/3/12 12:02:54AM
The UFC recently announced the second international version of The Ultimate Fighter would be Australia vs. the U.K.

The Australian series, dubbed The Smashes – a play on the 130 year-old cricket rivalry – will see undiscovered professional MMA fighters from Australia and the United Kingdom live together in The Ultimate Fighter house in Australia and compete against each other for a UFC contract.

When announced, the call went out for applicants ranging from 135 to 170 pounds.

The UFC has now settled on two specific divisions. The Smashes will feature welterweights (170 pounds) and lightweights (155 pounds), according to Marshall Zelaznik, the UFC’s director of international development.

LINK
Budgellism
6/3/12 1:20:38AM
They've used these divisions enough. Lets get some little guys in there again.
jae_1833
6/3/12 1:29:59AM
I was actually hoping for some LHW or MW action.....
ghandikush
6/3/12 1:52:51AM

Posted by jae_1833

i think the goal was to target the most common weight for aussies, 155-185
PABLOMAFIOSO
6/3/12 5:34:17AM
Gutted we won't see any Bantamweights. I know a few peoplew who were going to try out. Apparently the Ausies don't have enough pro bantams or featherweights to be competitive.
prozacnation1978
6/3/12 9:07:32AM
I think the Ufc should do another tuf comebacks
With only lightweights who won the tuf who were cut from Ufc. And the runner ups and winner gets a title shot
Bubbles
6/3/12 10:40:08AM
another lightweight season? come on how many of these are there going to be? Brookins and Ferguson each won a LW season within the last year. I don't think there has been a LHW season since Mir/Nog at TUF 8, so why not do that?
MMAcca
6/3/12 10:52:55AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jae_1833

i think the goal was to target the most common weight for aussies, 155-185

Thanks for the info ghandikush
MMAcca
6/3/12 10:57:12AM
Google 'Colin ''The Freakshow'' Fletcher' people.

He's a local guy from the North East of England and he's applying for the show at 155.

Good potential and he does a great walk-in
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
pmoney
6/3/12 3:34:25PM
As much as I don't want to see another lightweight season, the potential of finding international prospects gives me hope. TUF Brasil has been sweet. Even TUF Live seemed to turn up some good talent.

I do think the next US TUF needs to be a flyweight season though, or any combination of weight classes between 125-145lbs.
frizzzlecake
6/3/12 5:19:56PM
Really 155 and 170...............Like that hasn't been done before.
The_Casualty
6/3/12 11:43:41PM
I was hoping for a LHW season, lightweight seasons just haven't been producing, the talent pool is already so high that we don't need another Cheisa
MMAcca
6/5/12 3:15:34PM

Posted by pmoney

I do think the next US TUF needs to be a flyweight season though

prophecy033
6/5/12 4:12:44PM
I wouldn't mind a season with either MW and LHW or LHW and HW