TUF 10 set to bring back heavyweight division

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF 10 set to bring back heavyweight division
Wolfenstein
1/5/09 4:40:38AM
UFC President, Dana White could be about to bring back the heavyweight division to the popular reality show, “The Ultimate Fighter” for its 10th season set to screen late in 2009.

According to a report by the Wrestling Observer, White has hinted that Olympic Judo Gold Medalist, Satoshi Ishii could feature on the show and has possibly been offered a slot on the show.

link
Wolfenstein
1/5/09 4:42:05AM
Satoshi Ishii, Bobby Lashley, and Kimbo Silce would make for an interesting Tuf.
ThaAxeMurderer7
1/5/09 4:45:43AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Satoshi Ishii, Bobby Lashley, and Kimbo Silce would make for an interesting Tuf.

Add Hong Man Choi and they will have to change the name to The Ultimate Freak.
cmb19932
1/5/09 8:18:59AM
but as long as were making a mockery of the sport lets throw in a few more guys for the show um how about the incredibal hulk , tank abbot(i know hes old but who cares) ,um godzilla ,king kong , and fat bastard from austin powers..... i think kimbo wins the show though
Jackelope
1/5/09 8:33:57AM
If they played their cards right they could have a hell of a lineup for TUF10. There's some legit heavyweights out there for grabs
wiggum
1/5/09 10:57:40AM

Posted by Jackelope

If they played their cards right they could have a hell of a lineup for TUF10. There's some legit heavyweights out there for grabs

agreed....there are some really good heavy prosopects out there such as brett rogers and dave herman (even tho he lost) ...amongst others.....if they actually buckle down and take the selection process serously like they have the last two seasons, but with a bit better talent pool, then they could have a great season and add some spice to one of, in not thee, most lackluster division in the sport...and to get viewers, i would say bring in kimbo slice, why not...it will show the masses that its not the easy to be a fighter as well as bringing in viewers without having to showcase a junie browning type drama...plus, i hate to say it cuz of the pro wrestling thing, but bobby lashley did look good for his first fight, that would be another attention grabber that is atleast a legit prospect
ohiostate1016
1/5/09 12:02:22PM
I really think that Ishii would be a perfect choice for TUF, but wasn't it Dana himself who implemented the 3-fight minimum to be on TUF? I don't think he's going to get 3 fights before late summer, when the show would probably start taping.

And is anybody else thinking that GSP and Anderson could be the coaches on TUF 10?
jahdoug
1/5/09 12:34:07PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

if they could get those three plus maybe Herman (recent defeat notwithstanding) and a few others this could be better than recent seasons. I like how the show functions as a launching pas even for those who eventually lose on it, so the UFC isnt taking a risk by including guys they are banking on for the future.

I know theres a lot of buzz arounf Ishii, but im not sure why....gold medal in judo, but does this warrant the hype?
haggiswashere
1/5/09 12:59:52PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Posted by Wolfenstein

Add Hong Man Choi and they will have to change the name to The Ultimate Freak.

Could he even make 265? lol
grappler0000
1/5/09 1:19:34PM

Posted by jahdoug

I know theres a lot of buzz arounf Ishii, but im not sure why....gold medal in judo, but does this warrant the hype?

I don't think anyone believes he's the next big thing in the sport, but he does have huge drawing power in Japan...and the UFC plans on starting on the Asian market this year. I also think there's something to be said about a current gold medalist choosing to go down the MMA path. If nothing else, it may bring a little legitimacy to the sport in some people's eyes.
MMAcca
1/5/09 1:24:17PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

And is anybody else thinking that GSP and Anderson could be the coaches on TUF 10?

Or Anderson & BJ
cowcatcher
1/5/09 1:26:14PM
some of you are mocking the fact that kimbo, or lashley could end up on the show, but where will you be each night that the show airs?????

thats right on your couch watching the show, lets face it names like those would make season 10 extremely interesting.

also, people have been talking about freak shows and the purity of the sport and how certain guys are bad for the sport and it baffles me. how many fighters are fighting for the purity of the sport? maybe 10% of the guys out there, the rest are guys that want to get paid, and/or have been fighting their whole lives whether it be regulated(wrestlers, judoka, etc.) or on the streets(rampage, kimbo, leben) and thats all they know unless they want to drive a truck or flip burgers for a living. so enough of this high horse bullsh*t, the people on mma boards act so holier than thou and call every fighter out and say who is good and bad for the sport, but if we are talking about a guy like kimbo on the net or at work thats growing the sport plain and simple. how many of us are shining members of the community and would be called "good" for our professions? you might be good at your job, but do you have things in your past that you arent proud of, or that would make people think less of you in your chosen field? unless you are mother theresa or ghandi why does your opinion of these guys character matter anyway, are you so chaste? im not flaming anyone in particular at all, and i know its the internet, home of opinions from people whose opinions dont matter in "real life", but jeez guys is there really any reason to be so judgmental about guys that we ALL pay money to watch and take the time each day to talk about on the net do their jobs in a profession 99.9999% of us wouldnt, or more likely couldnt even do?
/end rant

sorry guys just been frustrated with some of the things ive read on here lately and had to get that out there.
ChokeUout
1/5/09 1:27:34PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I really think that Ishii would be a perfect choice for TUF, but wasn't it Dana himself who implemented the 3-fight minimum to be on TUF? I don't think he's going to get 3 fights before late summer, when the show would probably start taping.

God I hope not. I wanna see both of them fight again before new years eve 2009,
ohiostate1016
1/5/09 1:36:01PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by ohiostate1016

Or Anderson & BJ

Let's not get started on that topic again...it was disastrous the first time around. Let's just say that the winner of GSP/BJ will most definitely probably fight Anderson.
cmb19932
1/5/09 3:36:14PM

Posted by cowcatcher

some of you are mocking the fact that kimbo, or lashley could end up on the show, but where will you be each night that the show airs?????

thats right on your couch watching the show, lets face it names like those would make season 10 extremely interesting.

also, people have been talking about freak shows and the purity of the sport and how certain guys are bad for the sport and it baffles me. how many fighters are fighting for the purity of the sport? maybe 10% of the guys out there, the rest are guys that want to get paid, and/or have been fighting their whole lives whether it be regulated(wrestlers, judoka, etc.) or on the streets(rampage, kimbo, leben) and thats all they know unless they want to drive a truck or flip burgers for a living. so enough of this high horse bullsh*t, the people on mma boards act so holier than thou and call every fighter out and say who is good and bad for the sport, but if we are talking about a guy like kimbo on the net or at work thats growing the sport plain and simple. how many of us are shining members of the community and would be called "good" for our professions? you might be good at your job, but do you have things in your past that you arent proud of, or that would make people think less of you in your chosen field? unless you are mother theresa or ghandi why does your opinion of these guys character matter anyway, are you so chaste? im not flaming anyone in particular at all, and i know its the internet, home of opinions from people whose opinions dont matter in "real life", but jeez guys is there really any reason to be so judgmental about guys that we ALL pay money to watch and take the time each day to talk about on the net do their jobs in a profession 99.9999% of us wouldnt, or more likely couldnt even do?
/end rant

sorry guys just been frustrated with some of the things ive read on here lately and had to get that out there.

i was just joking around though man so dont take me seriously i get ya
cowcatcher
1/5/09 3:44:18PM
i wasnt talking to anyone really, just in general. i guess i kind of had an internet meltdown there
cmb19932
1/5/09 3:52:20PM
no worries man just sayin kimbo vs fat bastard is an attractive idea though
Wolfenstein
1/5/09 3:56:25PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i wasnt talking to anyone really, just in general. i guess i kind of had an internet meltdown there

Haha, yeah I get where you're coming from though completely.

I was actually serious about Kimbo, Lashley and Ishii. If that wouldn't boost TUF ratings I don't know what would. It would be cool to see the UFC do something similar to Sengoku or Dream and start signing guys on as training players. Basically take talented guys under their wings and get them the right training. There's a definete conflict of interest but if that could be overcome we could start seeing a bunch of talent that is more prepared for the big leap.

Really there's a ton of up and comers at HW especially in terms of international talent, so I think it's the perfect time to do a HW show. There's guy like Todd Duffee 4-0 (recently defeated Assuerio Silva), and Rodrigo Munduruca that could make a big splash on TUF. I've been waiting for a HW season of TUF for a long time so hopefully it's on the horizon.
higdon10
1/5/09 4:08:57PM
Its about time.
prozacnation1978
1/5/09 6:03:49PM
if you get heavyweights get the big boys not rashad evans and keith jardines cutting to 205 but guys who wegh 240 to 260
jocka
1/5/09 9:51:15PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

if you get heavyweights get the big boys not rashad evans and keith jardines cutting to 205 but guys who wegh 240 to 260

I was about to right the exact same stuff get in some guys that have to cut weight to make HW or at least 240-250 lbs ripped. I think its the perfect time to have a HW show i've always liked to see the big guys go at it when someone gets KO THEY DROP LIKE A TREE lol
jae_1833
1/6/09 12:38:53AM
With last three post...get legit in shape HWs who have the skills tomake an effect on the div after the show, most of them will end up signing some kind of contract as we all know. I think I have been begging for this for like a year now, maybe longer!