TUF in regards to the merger..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF in regards to the merger..
Gogoplata
3/30/07 1:49:37PM
Do you think TUF will allow certain fighters to fight in Pride and vice versa with the UFC? Or will this continue to just be a UFC-based show? I guess what I'm asking is, will the winners of the show still fight in the UFC? Or will they possibly fight in Pride?
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 2:40:14PM
I think it will be just for UFC.I dont think anyone thinks TUF fighters can fight anyone in PRIDE skill wise.
cowcatcher
3/30/07 2:44:56PM
i wouldnt go so far as to say no tuf fighters could hang with any pride guys considering pride is the organization that gave us giant silva. i do think the winners will be UFC guys due to the fact that tuf is an american show but who knows if in japan they will have a show like it for pride, im not really sure thats a show that would interest the japanese
nellyhiphophead
3/30/07 2:52:05PM
they will keep tuf going as it is to bring new guys into the ufc. after a few fights in the ufc or non winners i think you could see in pride.
nellyhiphophead
3/30/07 2:53:30PM

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

I think it will be just for UFC.I dont think anyone thinks TUF fighters can fight anyone in PRIDE skill wise.

you are a pride nuthugger. we have got alot of good fighter from the first 3 tuf shows.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 2:54:39PM
Like who? Evans and Swick? They cant hang with PRIDE at least in my mind.
migo
3/30/07 3:46:34PM
They'd have a tough time with the top guys, but they'd walk through the bottom guys in Pride.
AchillesHeel
3/30/07 4:02:54PM
There seems to be a ton of confusion with this purchase.

Pride and the UFC are not merging. Dana White is not buying Pride. Zuffa is not buying Pride.

Also, guys who participate in TUF are free to sign wherever they want. Obviously, many of the TUF guys have ended up with the UFC, but there's no obligation to do so. I mean, the whole point of the show is that the winners are guaranteed a UFC contract.
hippysmacker
3/30/07 4:15:19PM
Diego is rumored to want to be in the Pride LWGP, wouldn't mind seeing Melvin or Stevenson in it also. I think it would be a good idea to do a japanese TUF in japan. Unless their are some new Bushido-type guys from pride who speak english who might want to do the american show. The show is really designed to bring in new casual fans IMO, so they probably wouldn't know who the fighter's are anyway. As long as they speak english I think it could work.
Lay_N_Pray
3/30/07 4:20:02PM
Pride really isnt that superior to UFC in my opinion. I'm not going to hug any nuts because thats a little weird. I will say however that just like UFC once you get past the top three fighters in each weight class the talent level takes a dip and both orgs are similar in that way.

I think Anderson Silva, GSP, Liddell, and Randy could all hang if not defeat the best in Pride.

So what I am trying to say is that TUF fighters would have just as much of a chance in Japan as they would in the US.
cowcatcher
3/30/07 4:22:29PM
absolutely right lnp, anyone good enough to garner a contract in either org(except giant silva and other "freak show" fighters) is good enough to have a good showing or even get a win for themselves
dstlvb
3/30/07 4:42:24PM
The Sak interview said there would be plenty of UFC guys in the tournament. Not the exact quote but pretty close. He also said this would truly determine the best LW fighter in the world.
Gogoplata
3/30/07 4:45:58PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

There seems to be a ton of confusion with this purchase.

Pride and the UFC are not merging. Dana White is not buying Pride. Zuffa is not buying Pride.

Also, guys who participate in TUF are free to sign wherever they want. Obviously, many of the TUF guys have ended up with the UFC, but there's no obligation to do so. I mean, the whole point of the show is that the winners are guaranteed a UFC contract.

I understand they are not merging, but people are likening it to a "merger" of sorts, like the AFL-NFL merger, even though they will remain separate entities.
AchillesHeel
3/30/07 4:53:56PM

Posted by Gogoplata

I understand they are not merging, but people are likening it to a "merger" of sorts, like the AFL-NFL merger, even though they will remain separate entities.

Yes they are, and it's misleading.
Mayo
3/30/07 7:26:44PM

Posted by hippysmacker

guys from pride who speak english who might want to do the american show. As long as they speak english I think it could work.

Good point! That would be great to get some Japanese guys in the TUF show. It would also make for interesting interactions in the house.

Rush
3/30/07 8:54:51PM
I am on the side that the UFC and Pride have not merged.

I see one of two things happening to TUF

1) nothing

2) there will be a Pride version of the show as a separate entity.
loller90278
3/30/07 10:56:49PM
theres somewhat something like TUF for pride..

its called Pride! Challenge.

linky linky
Ydoc
3/30/07 11:07:20PM
That seems more like a MXC or Ninja Warrior type show.

A TUF show is a good idea for Pride... and when you have that mega show you can have TUF UFC and Pride winners face off.
Rush
3/30/07 11:26:06PM

Posted by loller90278

theres somewhat something like TUF for pride..

its called Pride! Challenge.

linky linky

Well, waddaya know there is one. Given the popularity of TUF, it makes sense.