TUF 17 Recap, Week 1: A New Take Rejuvenates Ultimate Fighter Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF 17 Recap, Week 1: A New Take Rejuvenates Ultimate Fighter Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen
grappler0000
1/23/13 12:26:40PM
The Ultimate Fighter returned on Tuesday night with a two-hour premier, narrowing the 28 welterweight hopefuls down to the 14 fighters that fought their way into the house.

The essence of the series is primarily the same as past seasons. There are 28 fighters trying to win a spot in The Ultimate Fighter house via a series of elimination bouts in the opening episode. The winner goes in the house; the loser goes home.

The series will see the 14 competitors fight their way through a series of tournament bouts, while shacked up in close quarters for six weeks...

Full Story
prozacnation1978
1/23/13 1:44:10PM
I really enjoyed the new look
Family and friends there. And just the whole production felt like a Ufc prime time series feel to it.
Some fighters look very promising
Budgellism
1/23/13 1:50:22PM
They did a great job with the 1st episode.
machodog76
1/23/13 1:51:33PM
I thought it was the worst season opener in a long time. I absolutely hated the jerky highlight reel, "Gladiator” camera crap. I can see how it will appeal more to a broad audience though but for me I just want to see the damn fights. I don't need to see the guy’s family and the coaches for half of the fight. Oh well I'll watch like always but for my weekly MMA on regular TV fix, Bellator>Ultimate Fighter.

grappler0000
1/23/13 2:54:35PM
I really enjoyed the new format. The production was much improved. With the families there, you really got a sense for what each guy was fighting for...which should create a vested interest with viewers.
jaguar_paw
1/23/13 4:18:48PM

Posted by machodog76

I thought it was the worst season opener in a long time. I absolutely hated the jerky highlight reel, "Gladiator” camera crap. I can see how it will appeal more to a broad audience though but for me I just want to see the damn fights. I don't need to see the guy’s family and the coaches for half of the fight. Oh well I'll watch like always but for my weekly MMA on regular TV fix, Bellator>Ultimate Fighter.

I didn't really mind the production that much as far as the new camera work for the fighter interviews. However, the whole interviewing the family crap really came at a price. I think they only showed 2 fights in their entirety. The rest were just slow motion clips and jerky camera work.
Even many of the great fights (and the one that both Chael and Jon said was the fight of the night) with finishes were only given about 20 seconds of so called highlights.
I would have much preferred fights to all the family BS.
DrivenDavies15
1/23/13 6:46:47PM
That opener gets a big from me
machodog76
1/24/13 12:17:59AM

Posted by jaguar_paw

Posted by machodog76

I didn't really mind the production that much as far as the new camera work for the fighter interviews. However, the whole interviewing the family crap really came at a price. I think they only showed 2 fights in their entirety. The rest were just slow motion clips and jerky camera work.
Even many of the great fights (and the one that both Chael and Jon said was the fight of the night) with finishes were only given about 20 seconds of so called highlights.
I would have much preferred fights to all the family BS.

Guess I'm out on an island on this one.