Has TUF only really made a positive impact on the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Has TUF only really made a positive impact on the UFC?
Rush
5/12/08 3:53:00PM
I was wondering this for a little while now and since some OGs are complaining about the same ol' stuff being tossed around the forums I thought I would throw this out there. Hopefully it will get a good discussion going.

Has TUF made an impact on the UFC or do you think it has impacted other MMA organizations as well (either positively or negatively?)

There are different ways to look at it. TUF has obviously made a positive impact on the UFC. Arguably, TUF saved the UFC.

Has TUF made a negative impact on other MMA organizations by drawing more attention to the UFC or has it been good for other MMA organizations by drawing more fans into MMA and making the casual fan more aware of other organizations and MMA fighters?

I for one am leaning toward the side that it hasn't really impacted MMA that much outside of the UFC in a direct way. I think it got more casual fans interested in the UFC and as they got more and more into the UFC, some fans explored other venues either because they really got into MMA or to try and come off as an MMA elitist in front of their buddies. However, I still believe that a lot of the MMA fans that have interest outside the UFC and Pride were big fans before TUF came out.
Aaronno9
5/12/08 3:59:18PM
From my own perspective, its made a positive contribution to mma overall, becouse even though at first i only watched ufc, i gradually started watching other orgs aswell. I pretty much watch every major event now. (Major pretty much constituting events that would be in the primary or secondary league on this site). I also follow mma locally now aswell. I dont think id be into mma at all if it wasnt for tuf.

I also think tuf benefits other orgs becouse usually they pick up some of the fighters the ufc doesnt sign or scratches not long after. I mean, the fighters usually arent any where near top caliber, but their a recognizable name and people might watch the event just becouse they saw the name on the card.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/12/08 4:01:34PM
i think TUF is a reminder that "no-name" fighters can still put on one hell of a fight & it helps mma as a whole
Twenty20Dollars
5/12/08 5:35:29PM
TUF is suppose to make an impact for the UFC only. not other mma orgs. because it is the UFC's show. TUF has made the type of the impact the UFC wants, when people think of MMA they more than likely think of the UFC.
John_Jobber
5/12/08 5:41:42PM
TUF is great for the UFC but only slightly impactful for MMA as a whole.

It is a smart marketing move in this day of reality shows for UFC to have its fighters streamlined through America's homes to the octagon. What could be better for ratings?

With the increased ratings and overall attention brings more money to top tier fighters. Not just in the UFC but in all leagues. The problem is this is like a Republican tax break - only the top 1% fighters are making more money from the increase in marketing and sales. Silvia and Fedor are getting rich while guys trying to break into the sport are still not seeing a dollar.
mrsmiley
5/12/08 8:12:07PM
I think TUF served its purpose,and like any other outlet to the world at large,has done good and bad for the sport.I can only say its done bad though,purely from a fan boy perspective. Their's certain things hardcore fans hold "sacred",that sometimes are overlooked or are of no importance to newer fans.Every 6 months are so someone always has the "bright" idea to start a "How would Bruce Lee do in MMA thread"?

With TUF ratings dropping lower and lower, I think here in the next year or so we will see a drop in the "Trendy" fans,and what's left will leave the sport with a somewhat healthy fanbase that keeps it going until the next big thing happens in the sport.
cowcatcher
5/12/08 10:02:33PM
TUF has been a godsend for the ufc and that goes without question in my mind, and i really believe it has helped a ton of the smaller orgs out there. maybe the elitexc's and dreams of the world dont get as much from it, but local shows that include former tufers almost always use the fact that they were on TUF in their event posters and give them headliner status based on being on the show, which in turn helps sell tickets because people that may not have gone to the show might just to see a name they know.
bullettdodger
5/13/08 1:26:53AM
I think when "lower" level fighters get released after tuf and join other orgs... it helps mma as a whole. It also promoted the UFC brand as they try to only keep the best of the TUF'ers so it strengthens the brand as being "elite" so i think its win win Good Topic Rush
Rush
5/13/08 12:28:45PM

Posted by bullettdodger

I think when "lower" level fighters get released after tuf and join other orgs... it helps mma as a whole. It also promoted the UFC brand as they try to only keep the best of the TUF'ers so it strengthens the brand as being "elite" so i think its win win Good Topic Rush

This is an intersting point that I didn't think about. You're right, fighters on TUF that don't make the UFC cut are well known when they fight in other organizations. A fine example would be Ross Pointon.