TUF 6: Lowest-Rated TUF Ever

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF 6: Lowest-Rated TUF Ever
DCRage
12/7/07 6:41:03AM
Continuing a decline of 3 straight installments, The Ultimate Fighter 6 saw its average rating drop to the franchise's lowest-ever: 1.1. Ratings were also down in the key age demographics that advertisers heavily target.

Article
CornishMMA
12/7/07 7:52:01AM
great news

Maybe now they will try and put together a decent TUF7, but seriously they need to start phasing them out, its so weird there are 2 a year, drop it down to 1 ffs!
emfleek
12/7/07 8:53:55AM

Posted by CornishMMA

great news

Maybe now they will try and put together a decent TUF7, but seriously they need to start phasing them out, its so weird there are 2 a year, drop it down to 1 ffs!

Okay, that's not the first time you've mentioned "ffs"...what exactly is "ffs"?

I guess I'm not up-to-date on the Playground/internet lingo these days.
tap_or_snap
12/7/07 9:11:48AM
I personally would prefer it if they just dropped the whole reality show concept all together and just had a sixteen man tourney spread over 14 weekly shows with the final on ppv.

None of this reality show bullshit, guys dont train or live together, just a straight up one fight a week show with some pre fight video on who this weeks two fighters are and where and how they train.

oh and "ffs" means for **** sake...
emfleek
12/7/07 9:38:26AM
Ahhh...thanks tap.

I need to get with the program, I guess.
grappler0000
12/7/07 10:33:25AM
This is to be expected. I know a number of the hardcore fans still watch, but the show basically started out for some as an 'MMA for Dummies'. The show may not be as intriguing now to some lesser fans who now have an understanding of the sport...not to mention there are actually several options for watching MMA on TV now vs 2 or 3 years ago. I've got a feeling next season's rating should go up a little though, assuming that the coaches actually end of being Rampage and Forrest...people may actually want to tune into the whole show, rather than just the end to see the fight.
Ordep
12/7/07 10:42:04AM
less drama..... more action....... that should solve it.

why people would like to watch other people living together when Fox has 10 of those shows, MTV has 35, VH1 23 and the other channels combined about 49.
tuvok500
12/7/07 10:46:58AM
I think they should comeback to the time when you lose your go home.

At least for the first 8 fight, the loser go home, after that they can stay.

DCRage
12/7/07 10:54:58AM

Posted by grappler0000

This is to be expected. I know a number of the hardcore fans still watch, but the show basically started out for some as an 'MMA for Dummies'. The show may not be as intriguing now to some lesser fans who now have an understanding of the sport...not to mention there are actually several options for watching MMA on TV now vs 2 or 3 years ago. I've got a feeling next season's rating should go up a little though, assuming that the coaches actually end of being Rampage and Forrest...people may actually want to tune into the whole show, rather than just the end to see the fight.

On the coaches, there's still a possibility that Liddell is chosen assuming he beats Wandy at 79.
skateongrass91
12/7/07 10:58:29AM
they should make a beast middle weight tuf7 and get some legends as coaches
low-blow
12/7/07 11:11:24AM
They should do a season with all the pride guys to give them some exposure and some time in the cage, in a interview wandy said he would like to be on the show.
mrsmiley
12/7/07 11:48:05AM
I think TUF was a great way to introduce MMA into the mainstream world.That being said,I think the UFC is big enough,and the sport recognized enough,to hold it's own weight without continuing down the treandy reality TV road.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/7/07 12:03:42PM
They need to bring back ''Mr. International''
grappler0000
12/7/07 12:26:30PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I think TUF was a great way to introduce MMA into the mainstream world.That being said,I think the UFC is big enough,and the sport recognized enough,to hold it's own weight without continuing down the treandy reality TV road.

I tend to agree with you, but I think they shouldn't pull the plug just yet. The show is currently the carrot dangling in front of the mule...and until more UFC events and programming are available for free to the casual fan, you will see a drop in PPV buys as a result. Even if the show's numbers don't look good on paper, they will more than make up for it with the additional PPV buys as a by-product.

Now, if the UFC could get HBO to do a documentary type build up of big matches, like they did for the Mayweather/DLH fight, then they would really have no need whatsoever for TUF...with that said, there is still something interesting about watching a UFC rookie go through the transition and excel to the top of their respected division.
jakeiceman
12/7/07 12:39:01PM
Now I agree with your last comment more than anything I have read. How cool has it been watching Forrest Griffin go from a no-body to cracking the top 5 (yes, I know that is debatable) in the world. I admit that I dont watch TUF much but there is still a place for it, and hopefully we will see some interesting stuff in the next season.
Leland
12/7/07 1:06:44PM
Wandy and Rampage coaches. that would be a hell of a season. just as long as rampage is there, he is so funny. i would love to see him crack on the other coach haha
DustinT
12/7/07 1:26:24PM
well those reality shows start dippin' in the ratings area, they always pull out the wild card.

Yup, you guessed it.

The Ultimate Fighter All-Stars.

emfleek
12/7/07 1:33:58PM

Posted by DustinT

well those reality shows start dippin' in the ratings area, they always pull out the wild card.

Yup, you guessed it.

The Ultimate Fighter All-Stars.

So true...
gartface
12/7/07 2:01:42PM
I think part of the reason the last three have been sort of a let down, is the fact that you have a bunch of guys with potential, and then two clear cut favorites, that will ravage the competition (i.e. Mac Danzig, Nate Diaz, Matt Serra, Chris Lytle). I think that they need to even out the playing field a little. Lauzon had already fought before in the UFC (ko'n Pulver), and Danzig who has 2 or 3 times the fights the other guys have. They need to put younger guys on there, that will make it that much more unpredictable. Everyone knew at the beginning of season 6, that Mac was going to roll through his competition. There needs to be that element of surprise that makes a reality show worth watching.
DustinT
12/7/07 2:37:49PM
fact of the matter is, they got too greedy too fast.

spacing out the seasons would have been more ideal imo.
taporsnap25
12/7/07 3:12:36PM
I watch the show, but only the last 15 minutes to see the fight. i hate all the drama, guys crying about missing their girlfriends and family. another thing, whats with the guys in the house being beer quee*s? a couple of drinks and they tell everyone they love them. if you want me to watch a whole show, show more of them training in the gym.
buckndro
12/7/07 5:23:30PM
i like TUF, why? as they stated if you have been watching from first one you would see alot people grow into MMA world many names are from TUF an alot are becoming big nameers an TUF gives ya chance to see them progress now i admit its not always bout fighting tho it is on basic cable so there goin for ratings still alot wouldnt know them if wasnt for the show an its another chance to see fights anyways. An yeah it always can get better hopefully next season is bettter
cryinryan
12/7/07 5:53:13PM
I still love it, but I watch it after i've recorded it- otherwise there are just way too many commercials.
quezocrema0032
12/7/07 6:22:02PM
i understand why season 4 and season 6 tanked ... no one wants to see has beens (all though they proved they wenrent) and season 6 was talentless ... but season 5 was kick ass ! penn and pulver 2 great coachs and the talent was amazing i mean 3 people who have been in the ufc before (wiman lauzon and rudiger) nate diaz and manny (related two ufc stars) the unkonwns who were big on the show gray and cole and the wildcard corey ... it was amazing ... sigh
bullettdodger
12/7/07 6:46:16PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

i understand why season 4 and season 6 tanked ... no one wants to see has beens (all though they proved they wenrent) and season 6 was talentless ... but season 5 was kick ass ! penn and pulver 2 great coachs and the talent was amazing i mean 3 people who have been in the ufc before (wiman lauzon and rudiger) nate diaz and manny (related two ufc stars) the unkonwns who were big on the show gray and cole and the wildcard corey ... it was amazing ... sigh

remove lips from TUF5 ass then speak, maybe we'll be able to understand you better... nawh im just giving you a hard time bro. I agree that it had good talent, but honestly no TUF has been as good as TUF3, as i remember it, it was more about Tito putting these guys through real training and teaching these guys the importance of conditioning. The "reality", if you can call it that, is that they are 90% scripted and even if they aren't, the producers invariably tell people on the show... "can you do that one more time, but this time instead of doing this you do that?". So all reality tv sux whatever atleast its a free fight a week, with the free event at the end of the tunnel. I don't really care what they do, i have a tivo and i can just FF through anything i don't feel like seeing.
masodd
12/8/07 10:47:15AM
i actually think this was the best season besides the first
InstantLegend
12/10/07 12:35:49PM
I think just having Griffin and Page as coaches will give the ratings a boost - anything they do while re-structuring is just going to be an added bonus