TUF Live

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » TUF Live
Kpro
3/4/12 9:35:27AM
The reason TUF fights don't count officially on records is because they don't report to the commission within 48 hours to not spoil the results to fans. With the upcoming season being live, I'm assuming the fights will all count on their records. I haven't read any articles on the season, but I'm assuming so?
LuckyCharms
3/4/12 11:04:58AM
I don't think so, If I remember correctly the rounds are only Two. Only goes to a Third round if there's draw.

It would be unofficial match since there're only Two rounds instead of an standard Three rounds.

grappler0000
3/4/12 12:05:09PM

Posted by LuckyCharms

I don't think so, If I remember correctly the rounds are only Two. Only goes to a Third round if there's draw.

It would be unofficial match since there're only Two rounds instead of an standard Three rounds.

There are plenty of 2 round fights on the books already, so I don't think that alone would prevent anything from being official.
LuckyCharms
3/4/12 12:19:46PM

Posted by grappler0000

There are plenty of 2 round fights on the books already, so I don't think that alone would prevent anything from being official.

Oh, Okay. I thought that was one of the issues of why it wasn't official match.
Twenty20Dollars
3/4/12 1:36:08PM
I thought it was they were only exhibition matches and that's why they didn't count on the records. And that way the fighters couldn't get medical suspensions and be able to fight a couple times in that short time they are on the show.
grappler0000
3/4/12 2:25:35PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I thought it was they were only exhibition matches and that's why they didn't count on the records. And that way the fighters couldn't get medical suspensions and be able to fight a couple times in that short time they are on the show.

All the fights are still overseen by the commission. Being an exhibition and not counting are just two different ways of saying basically the same thing. One doesn't cause the other.
FastKnockout
3/4/12 2:51:07PM
It's like Kpro said, they can only count as exhibition cause the results aren't made public as soon as they happen.
Twenty20Dollars
3/4/12 3:00:00PM

Posted by grappler0000

All the fights are still overseen by the commission. Being an exhibition and not counting are just two different ways of saying basically the same thing. One doesn't cause the other.

I thought it was because of the medical suspensions though, if the fights counted. Then they would potentially have to suspend fighters and they wouldn't be able to fight again the next week or whenever.
grappler0000
3/4/12 6:01:53PM

Posted by grappler0000

I thought it was because of the medical suspensions though, if the fights counted. Then they would potentially have to suspend fighters and they wouldn't be able to fight again the next week or whenever.

I think I know what you're saying, but not 100% sure. The commission still inspects the fighters' health between fights. I guess I don't know what being a exhibition has to do with that. It's the same fights, the same fighters, the same rules (outside of some fights only going 2 rounds, which actually cuts down on injuries), and the same commission. I understand that they don't give out suspensions in the normal format, but I'm sure that's just something that Zuffa worked out with NSAC in advance. I guess I don't see why the commission would think a fighter is healthy enough to fight merely because a piece of paper says A instead of B.
Twenty20Dollars
3/4/12 7:15:57PM

Posted by grappler0000

I think I know what you're saying, but not 100% sure. The commission still inspects the fighters' health between fights. I guess I don't know what being a exhibition has to do with that. It's the same fights, the same fighters, the same rules (outside of some fights only going 2 rounds, which actually cuts down on injuries), and the same commission. I understand that they don't give out suspensions in the normal format, but I'm sure that's just something that Zuffa worked out with NSAC in advance. I guess I don't see why the commission would think a fighter is healthy enough to fight merely because a piece of paper says A instead of B.

I remember this sort of thing being brought up in the past about TUF and that's what I thought someone brought up.

Might look into it some more if I have some time.
tcunningham
3/5/12 12:07:23AM
i kinda like how the fights dont count towards records. you never know what to expect later on after the show when some TUF contestants fight on an actual ufc card. many fighters have come back to be serious contenders in the ufc but didnt have much of a spot on the show. it just goes to show that TUF is for prospect fighters with a lot to learn,more of 'whos got the most potential