TUF 13 Discussion (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF 13 Discussion (Spoilers)
FastKnockout
3/30/11 3:47:51PM
Figure I'll go ahead and start this up. Anyone looking to discuss tonight's opening episode of Lesnar vs. Valesquez are welcome to join in and discuss!
FastKnockout
3/30/11 3:50:11PM
I'm excited to see what this kid can do!

Myles Jury Highlight

Myles Jury EGO Jiu-Jitsu Opening

Budgellism
3/30/11 4:48:12PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Myles Jury Highlight

He's definitely a good prospect but I dunno. I'm very excited for this season. I've been interested to see how Brock does as a coach and I've only heard good things about it through articles and such. I love having something to watch before bed on Wednesday nights.
FastKnockout
3/30/11 5:08:31PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

Myles Jury Highlight

He's definitely a good prospect but I dunno. I'm very excited for this season. I've been interested to see how Brock does as a coach and I've only heard good things about it through articles and such. I love having something to watch before bed on Wednesday nights.

Don't forget it now starts at a new time. 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.
kingsmasher
3/30/11 8:44:04PM
Its Lesnar Dos Santos right?
TS92turbo
3/30/11 10:05:14PM
Haha, Myles got Injured the first day. Sucks. First fight looks promising for JDS.
kingsmasher
3/30/11 10:07:55PM
thats not cool at all take your best guy against there last pick...I like Dos santos but not cool IMO...After seeing how big Brock is next to Dos Santos its hard to pick against Brock..
FastKnockout
3/30/11 10:11:23PM
DAMN! Sucks about Myles. I was excited to see him fight. Looks as though he might go the Nate Quarry road from season one, which means we will probably see him fighting in the finale.

From the season highlights, doesn't look like it will be all that exciting.

Coaching went as I expected. Dos Santos doesn't speak enough English to really get through to his guys, and Lesnar is relatively new to the sport as well. During the fight I only heard him shout a few sentences to his fighters, such as "You have to make something happen!"

Shamar? I think that's his name. He reminds me a lot of Josh Koscheck back on the first season of TUF. Didn't have anything besides wrestling and some decent ground and pound. He did mention that Dos Santos told him not to show everything in this fight, though. I'm interested to see what else he has and how much he will learn.
FastKnockout
3/30/11 10:17:12PM

Posted by kingsmasher

thats not cool at all take your best guy against there last pick...I like Dos santos but not cool IMO...After seeing how big Brock is next to Dos Santos its hard to pick against Brock..

This happens every season. No coach pits their best fighter against the other coach's best fighter in the first fight. Too much risk. Have to remember that this is also a competition, and they need to pick the fights where they have the advantage.

And Lesnar isn't that much bigger than Dos Santos now. He's slimmed up, and Dos Santos has gained some muscle mass. Check out the trailer and look at the size difference when they face off. Almost no difference.

Trailer
Scamrock
3/30/11 11:39:41PM
Fun Fact: TUF 13's Len "The Liger" Bentley has a loss early last year to TUF 12's Cody McKenzie via, you guessed it, guillotine choke.
grappler0000
3/31/11 12:21:33AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Coaching went as I expected. Dos Santos doesn't speak enough English to really get through to his guys, and Lesnar is relatively new to the sport as well. During the fight I only heard him shout a few sentences to his fighters, such as "You have to make something happen!"

I actually disagree about Lesnar. I wasn't sure how vocal he'd be during the fights, but he actually did a pretty decent job, considering it was a mismatch. He was talking rather than yelling, which might account for it not being super noticeable. I've already forgot his first fighter's name, but I noticed it from the beginning that he was actually doing just about everything that Lesnar told him to do...or trying at the very least. Brock was coaching him on which over and underhooks to secure. He was telling him to roll towards his opponent from his back, to get the escape, because he kept trying to roll away, which was giving up his back. He was asking for an uppercut when they were back up on the feet, since we all knew the TD was coming again. When he was up against the cage, he was giving him specifics in regards to the placement of his head against the cage, as well as what was needed to try and escape. He did use a couple of very generic statements like you quoted above, but at that point, he was basically expressing to him that the fight is nearly over and unless he pulled something out of his ass, he was about to lose...I didn't count that against him, personally.
scoozna
3/31/11 12:06:06PM
I think both coaches will get better as the season goes on. They'll feel more invested in their fighters and in the competition. I doubt they had much time at all to prepare either fighter.
Rabi
3/31/11 1:29:04PM
I liked the look of both coaches, the first fight was boring, the German guy gifted Bailey the fight when he slipped in the 2nd round, I'm sure it will get better, Dana was not impressed with Bailey.
prozacnation1978
3/31/11 6:13:24PM
the bailey fight literally made me fall asleep
i woke up a hour later
who won??
emfleek
3/31/11 10:46:33PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

the bailey fight literally made me fall asleep
i woke up a hour later
who won??

Shamar Blankey