TUF 5 Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF 5 Discussion
« Previous Page | Next Page »
kaduey
5/24/07 2:54:06PM
I'd like to say Joe Lauzon vs. Nate Diaz but Mat Wiman is very good. Look what he did against Spencer Fisher. Even though he lost that fight by KO, Wiman looked excellent.
Sam_Rothstein
5/24/07 11:01:04PM
man i would of loved to see how that fight would of turned out if lauzon didnt throw that elbow to the back of the head

im glad lauzon knows that it was a cheap way to win a fight, i dont think he meant to do it on purpose

great showing from cole miller in my opinion though, i really wanna see what he can do in the ufc
Trapt1nw0nder
5/24/07 11:12:08PM
wow...

I think Cole would of lost that fight either way....illegal blow or not,but it does suck that that happened.i knew whoever fought Cole was in for a fight,and he showed that.

I dont know whats the deal with Pulver....Diaz vs Hill is the best match up to put up....Hill sucks anyways,and he's gonna lose regardless of who he fights

Dana White kicking Noah and Sims out of the house was stupid....thats what he gets for letting them drink liqour in the house...what did he expect Noah to do?..Sims came up and flipped him off the chair...i doubt he would of kicked Nate,and Emerson out if they had gotten into a fight when Emerson wrote that shit on the wall....i used to like White,but now i think he's just a media whore!
Ydoc
5/24/07 11:13:05PM
Joe still would have won, the fact that he hit him in the back of the head just shows that he was already turtling. Never like to see that happen, but I guess he didn't want to work the body and do everything to the head, which like I said already was turtled up tight with almost no clean shots to it left. Good showing from both and Cole has to have a place in finale.

On the street fight... Marlon started that by tipping Noah's chair. Free shot or not he took it that extra step. Dana is right that this is not the kind of exposure the UFC needs as a lot of people already have it pegged as drunken brawls. Needless to say, I don't see either ever getting a fight in the finale. They'll be lucky to ever be in the UFC again.

I like Gray in the next episode, he's going to do what Wang didn't, and put Brandon on his ass and probably get a sub. Wonder what Brandon and Pulver's beef was. Guess we'll see soon enough. Good episode.
Nacho
5/25/07 2:38:40AM
. Noah was dumb to stoop to that level. Lobster got kicked off too... he's an idiot. Too bad Gray did not break it up like I think he was going to.
Northrend
5/25/07 3:13:28AM
Nate vs Joe gona be an epic battle IMO if it happens. Diaz by decision.
Nacho
5/25/07 11:57:04AM
nellyhiphophead
5/25/07 12:32:47PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

wow...

I think Cole would of lost that fight either way....illegal blow or not,but it does suck that that happened.i knew whoever fought Cole was in for a fight,and he showed that.

I dont know whats the deal with Pulver....Diaz vs Hill is the best match up to put up....Hill sucks anyways,and he's gonna lose regardless of who he fights

Dana White kicking Noah and Sims out of the house was stupid....thats what he gets for letting them drink liqour in the house...what did he expect Noah to do?..Sims came up and flipped him off the chair...i doubt he would of kicked Nate,and Emerson out if they had gotten into a fight when Emerson wrote that shit on the wall....i used to like White,but now i think he's just a media whore!

dana did what he had to do and i think if nate and emerson got in to it they would of been gone too. i think what he said is right doign that kind of stuff looks bad on mma. he did what he had to do and i think he was just happy it was't with anyone that was still fighting.
Rush
5/25/07 2:22:20PM

Posted by Ydoc
Dana is right that this is not the kind of exposure the UFC needs as a lot of people already have it pegged as drunken brawls. Needless to say, I don't see either ever getting a fight in the finale. They'll be lucky to ever be in the UFC again.

He's right in what he said, but I think he's gambling with showing that footage on the show. .

There are opponents of MMA that will use that footage to discredit MMA, regradless of Dana's speech. People always see what they want to see and that's that

On the topic of TUF, Cole impressed me more this time round than his first fight. The fight looked great for the first round and was ruined by the elbow. Shame that a fight has to end that way. Oh well...

I was kind of hoping to see Manny fight Cory in the semis, just because I wanted to see how Manny dealt with the height issue, but I'll take what I can get.
hughesfan1
5/25/07 4:43:00PM
Cole did nothing in the fight besides the very begining and a few pitiful sub. attempts. It is his own fault he got bowed in the back of the head, he was hiding his head on the mat and covering the sides with his hands. Joe had a bad angle and it was definitly an accident. He went so long doing nothing but covering , it should have been stopped sooner. About the street fight I know it's bad for MMA's rep. and I agree with Dana kicking them off the show , but it was very entertaining. It's Dana's fault anyway , I don't know what made them decide to leave the eliminated fighters in the house , it's just not smart. and stupid stuff like that is bound to happen.
Rush
5/25/07 6:21:56PM
They said that they wanted to keep eliminated fighters in the house a couple seasons ago. They wanted to keep them there to help the other guys train. I'm sure it's also good for drama too, especially when the eliminated guys start drinking (as we all saw last night).
madmarck
5/25/07 6:24:18PM

Posted by hughesfan1

Cole did nothing in the fight besides the very begining and a few pitiful sub. attempts. It is his own fault he got bowed in the back of the head, he was hiding his head on the mat and covering the sides with his hands. Joe had a bad angle and it was definitly an accident. He went so long doing nothing but covering , it should have been stopped sooner. About the street fight I know it's bad for MMA's rep. and I agree with Dana kicking them off the show , but it was very entertaining. It's Dana's fault anyway , I don't know what made them decide to leave the eliminated fighters in the house , it's just not smart. and stupid stuff like that is bound to happen.

Pitiful subs? You mean constand moving around and not just letting Joe sit in his guard? Cole Miller proved to me that he was a lot tougher than he looked. He showed some ability on the ground.

I recall in that episode that BJ said that he thought Joe Lauzon had one of the best GNP in MMA. Coming from BJ Penn i would put a fair bit of merit into that.

Its not shameful to lose to a better fighter. Esp when you exhhuast youself constantly working for the finish.

Is it better for a fighter to hold another and keep guard for a entire fight and make it a boring Lay and pray? Or would you rather see some nice BJJ skills constantly going to work?
I think Joe Lauzon was lucky that BJ was in his corner and kept seeing the subs coming and telling him.

That was a awesome fight and IMO one of the best so far this season. Dont Piss on a fighter becasue he lost. Instead praise the performance of the fighter who won.
Nacho
5/25/07 9:29:16PM
Cole impressed me too. He actually gave Joe a hard time and had a real shot.
StorminYourman
5/26/07 4:16:00AM

I also agree that was one hell of a match up.Scientifiicly it went one guy offensively ground and pouding while defending against subs meanwhile the other guy defends the ground and pound while offensively trying to get a sub off.Classic wrestling against jujistu.I will say it again "1 hell of a fight!"
Stickan
5/26/07 6:35:32AM
Dana is a hypocrite. He promoted the episode with the street fight and he knew he would get good ratings because of it but then he goes all rightous and stuff for the camera and throws them both off.
I'd bet a million that Dana is happy that fight happened.
kbak303
5/27/07 3:11:09PM

Posted by Stickan

Dana is a hypocrite. He promoted the episode with the street fight and he knew he would get good ratings because of it but then he goes all rightous and stuff for the camera and throws them both off.

I half the time think Dana is showing a bad sign, the CEO of a major sports organization cursing like a sailor, but then half the time I think it's ok...i wonder what the avg guy thinks, if Dana is worried that the public is going to see UFC is just a 'drunken brawl', why cuss all the time, but the guys deserved it...

Lobster boy is 32 years old, and he's refeeing a fight that someone coulda got hurt bad...did you see the one hit the concrete flower bed curb dead on the spine?!

I think the guys shoulda been cursed though..IMHO

and..IMHO, i thought the episode was the most interesting I'd seen, but this is my first season
d_block07
5/28/07 11:48:43PM

Posted by kaduey

I'd like to say Joe Lauzon vs. Nate Diaz but Mat Wiman is very good. Look what he did against Spencer Fisher. Even though he lost that fight by KO, Wiman looked excellent.

wiman got his head taken off by spencer fisher
Sam_Rothstein
5/29/07 12:40:08PM

Posted by d_block07

Posted by kaduey

yeah that flying knee was nasty

i still thought cole looked really good in that fight and had a shot at taking it, joe lauzon didnt really do anything that stand out untill after he landed that illegal blow then once lauzon smelt blood he ****** him up
Stickan
5/29/07 1:09:38PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by d_block07

Posted by kaduey

yeah that flying knee was nasty

i still thought cole looked really good in that fight and had a shot at taking it, joe lauzon didnt really do anything that stand out untill after he landed that illegal blow then once lauzon smelt blood he ****** him up

I thought Cole already looked quite uncomfortable up until the point with the illegal blow. He didn't get any submissions and Joe was starting to punish him on the ground. I think he would've gotten the ref stoppage either way. He might actually have gotten it earlier if it wasn't for the elbow since they had to stand back up after the restart.
I think he would've pounded him out on the ground if it wasn't for the elbow.
Aether
5/29/07 3:02:55PM
yeah I agree.. cole was losing that fight before the elbow happened. I personally didn't think that gray looked very impressive either... he didn't really seem able to finish the fight against a clearly inferior opponent, makes you wonder how he's going to finish when he's fighting someone who can fight back. I thought the most impressive fighters so far were Lauzon and Manny, then maybe Wiman and Gray/Diaz.

Diaz > Hill
Gray > Melendez
Manny and Wiman will probably be a good fight... I think Manny is stronger, but he's also more reckless. I'll call Manny. Does anyone else find it funny that Manny says "bro" at least as much as Karo does? yeah bro, I'm here to fight bro. My judos throws are the best bro..... bro.
nellyhiphophead
5/30/07 12:18:41PM
yup cole was done didn't have much of a chance of pulling off a sub. joe had that fight in the bag i think.
scoozna
5/30/07 2:47:15PM

Posted by Stickan

Maybe...but I think he naively thought that the UFC would come out of it looking good because the 'offenders' were thrown out. Personally, I think the UFC Public Relations team needs a reality check in the sense that most people can't get past the chain-link fencing that makes up the octagon - let alone a drunken brag-fest that (what a surpise!) turns into a brawl.

Ydoc
5/31/07 11:24:32PM
Awesome fight, both guys brought it. Couldn't believe Gray won by Gullitine, I thought that was almost impossible with that chin on Brandon. Brandon escaped some tight spots and has throwing some unreal looking stuff standing, but none of it really landed. Glad to see Gray throw some leather once he know Brandon was afraid to engage because of risk of takedown.

Diaz was too agressive in that whole ordeal, he seems to take things too seriously and should be thankful Cole didn't take to another level when they "tussled," if he had they both could be out of the house. Good to see Wang doing something postitive in this episode, and he had a good joke at the end about Brandon taking on the two best fighters in the house.

I like both coaching styles this year for different reason that were showcased on this episode. Pulver is like a drill sargent pushing all his fighters to their best in a team format, and even if he fibs about when they are going to stop he keeps them motivated to keep going. Penn on the other hand actually getting in the cage to fight these guys is really awesome, he may tone down his own skill a little just to help with that fighter's ego going into their upcoming bout. I think Pulver helps better overall but Penn's what I'd want with 3 days before my fight.

Interesting with Diaz going to Penn next week, it looked like he was getting that BJ one-on-one that I was talking about, which could only help coming into his fight. Can you blame him? It'd be hard to train with your future opponent. Plus, he's getting the best situation out of this, getting the overall from Pulver and now getting that personal time with Penn.

Can't wait for next week.
PeteD
6/1/07 2:12:26AM
If I missed an episode, does anyone know where I can see a replay or find it online?
Trapt1nw0nder
6/1/07 2:49:49AM
Great episode...great fight...

Brandon really showed alot of heart,and determination in this fight,and Gray looked very good,but his conditioning

Overall i think BJ's team is much better than Pulver's......I think Pulver saw Season 3 and wanted to be like Tito.but he is doing it all the wrong way...he's just pushing pushing pushing,but he needs to motivate them better then to just boss them around....Tito was good at that,cuz he would motivate his team real good and talked to them like a friend,and would actually roll on the mat with them,while Pulver is just bossing them around from the sideline,and telling them how bad they're doing.

As for Nate switching teams,i dont blame him..Anyone can put on a jersey and boss you around and help you with cardio,while BJ just has tons more to offer Nate..plus he cant train in the same team of the person he is gonna fight.

Cant wait for next weeks episode either......2 fights in 1 episode,and that just means 1 thing....at least 1 of them is gonna end quick,and i think its gonna be Nate/Hill...and Manny/Wiman is gonna be a war i think........and i have a feeling Manny is gonna pull it off,now that i see Karo is always in the corner watching the fights....i dont really care who wins that one,but i just wanna see Nate win..
MisFiT
6/1/07 2:51:09AM
Amazing fight for TUF. Those guys were goin at it, I liked the pace they were puttin out, great work on the ground, nice and technical.
fedorwins1
6/1/07 11:58:33AM
Actually a really good fight, I thought it was going to be a boring fight. Maynard had horrible conditioning though, he was gassed by the end of the first round, other than that, he looked great. I see Maynard getting smashed in his next match though, I'm still picking Diaz to win.
Manfred
6/1/07 1:28:17PM
nellyhiphophead
6/1/07 2:05:14PM
great fight and can't wait to see two fights next week
hughesfan1
6/1/07 5:43:38PM
I was really impressed with Brandon. I thought Gray would run over him, but he held his own fairly well. Gray probably would've dominated, but he did way to much training the day of the fight. You need some rest to fill your gas tank. From the previews next week looks great. I'm picking Nate & Manny to win those fights and Nate & Joe in the final which IMO could go either way, just depends on who wants it more. I'm betting on a very good fight possibly top ten all year ! BJ should be able to help Nate in training with all his BJJ exp. Don't blame Nate I wouldn't want to train with my opponent either. I didn't care much for Nate & Cole's playing around I was afraid we were gonna see more fighters kicked out of the house. It reminded me of myself (when I was 14 ) just thought it was childish and stupid.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13