TUF 5 Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF 5 Discussion
« Previous Page | Next Page »
CaseyKrajenka
5/11/07 3:01:25PM
I was very disappointed with the Hill - Emerson fight, not so much on the side of Emerson because I didn't expect much from him. Hill on the other hand was a big disappointment, all the episodes with him training and everything made him look like he was a physcho. I was expecting him to go out there and dominate Emerson.

In the end I think the decision should have gone Emerson's way.

Joe Lauzon....what can you say about this kid? He's the real deal. I think he is the favorite by a long shot. He already has the big UFC win, and not just a win, but a win over Pulver so that has to be sitting in the back of the minds of everyone on Pulvers team. If he has already taken out their coach, then how are they supposed to beat him. Then to watch him go in there and absolutley dominate against Geraghty....WOW, WHAT A FIGHTER THIS KID IS!!!

I hope Lauzon wins it all.....
Ydoc
5/11/07 3:37:23PM

Posted by shackle

LoL! that would be a horrible move for him. If he can make 155 he needs to stay there! It gives him a big genetic advantage over most other lightweights.

WIth the right trainers he could be molded into a great lightweight, his size is really what makes him a standout lightweight.

I'm with pharside on this one. Corey looked really weak against Rob. He couldn't even take him down like Diaz was able to, and my guess is he had very little on those punches, he was connecting which only allowed Rob to throw two in his face. I think at 170 he'd have the extra power he needs. look at it this way, he's about the height of the average heavy weight, it wouldn't hurt him to go up until he has power in his takedowns and punching.
pharside
5/11/07 3:47:58PM

Posted by shackle

LoL! that would be a horrible move for him. If he can make 155 he needs to stay there! It gives him a big genetic advantage over most other lightweights.

WIth the right trainers he could be molded into a great lightweight, his size is really what makes him a standout lightweight.

That would be the worst choice he ever made if he moved up. Then is advantage wouldn't standout quite as much with other bigger fighters.

Posted by pharside

Corey will never be that good at 155, he needs ALOT of training and to move up to 170 have any power.

When a guy is ripped like that (boney in his case) and cut at all you're drained. trust me when I fought I really couldn't cut any or I'd gas in 2mins.
shackle
5/11/07 7:39:28PM
I'm sure he's not as drained as you expect he just hasn't had any good training. You don't look that great if you don't know what your doing or how to strike the right way.

He sure doesn't have trouble cutting the weight at least it seems that way.

It's his training I'm sure he has power, and the talent he just doesn't know what he is doing. He doesn't know how to use the power that be may have. Like I said in the right hands he would be much better if he is willing to learn new stuff.

Moving up would really be a bad move for him as long as he feels good at 155. He needs good trainers to work on his power/striking not moving up in weight. I'm no expert, and I don't know how he feels at 155, but it seems he is fine he didn't have much trouble cutting, and no one knows how drained he was it could be he was gun shy.

Posted by pharside

Posted by shackle

That would be the worst choice he ever made if he moved up. Then is advantage wouldn't standout quite as much with other bigger fighters.

Posted by pharside

Corey will never be that good at 155, he needs ALOT of training and to move up to 170 have any power.

When a guy is ripped like that (boney in his case) and cut at all you're drained. trust me when I fought I really couldn't cut any or I'd gas in 2mins.

Sam_Rothstein
5/11/07 9:53:49PM
i think he should stay at 155 too

well i agree he didnt look as agressive as he should of been, but that was his first fight period, his 2 non pro fights he said he had probably never happened

he did decent against emerson a guy who has some of the best experience inside the house besides lauzon (went to decision with jens pulver shortly after pulvers title defense against penn)
Stickan
5/12/07 8:30:55AM
I think Gabe would've susbmitted Corey. I didn't think Corey was that terrible, I just think that Gabe Ruediger is way underrated as a fighter and that his experience would take him pretty far in the show.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/12/07 11:57:09AM

Posted by Stickan

I think Gabe would've susbmitted Corey. I didn't think Corey was that terrible, I just think that Gabe Ruediger is way underrated as a fighter and that his experience would take him pretty far in the show.

I agree...i think Gabe would of submitted him too..

Lauzon is good too,but we have not seen how he does after he comes with all hell and his opponent can survive his wrath....will he gas out?...will it break his will?....

Maybe he is like his brother Dan Lauzon when he fought Spencer Fisher and he was dominating him the whole first 3 mins but then gassed out and got knocked out....i even remember hearing Mike Goldberg saying that Joe Lauzon said his little brother was better than him....soo..???

Im sure Lauzon wouldnt be able to dominate someone like Nate Diaz since we all know he has great defense just like his brother....so what will happen after they weather the storm???
george112
5/12/07 11:22:51PM

Posted by CaseyKrajenka

I was very disappointed with the Hill - Emerson fight, not so much on the side of Emerson because I didn't expect much from him. Hill on the other hand was a big disappointment, all the episodes with him training and everything made him look like he was a physcho. I was expecting him to go out there and dominate Emerson.

In the end I think the decision should have gone Emerson's way.

Joe Lauzon....what can you say about this kid? He's the real deal. I think he is the favorite by a long shot. He already has the big UFC win, and not just a win, but a win over Pulver so that has to be sitting in the back of the minds of everyone on Pulvers team. If he has already taken out their coach, then how are they supposed to beat him. Then to watch him go in there and absolutley dominate against Geraghty....WOW, WHAT A FIGHTER THIS KID IS!!!

I hope Lauzon wins it all.....

my thoughts exactly
Northrend
5/14/07 2:37:28AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Stickan

I agree...i think Gabe would of submitted him too..

Lauzon is good too,but we have not seen how he does after he comes with all hell and his opponent can survive his wrath....will he gas out?...will it break his will?....

Maybe he is like his brother Dan Lauzon when he fought Spencer Fisher and he was dominating him the whole first 3 mins but then gassed out and got knocked out....i even remember hearing Mike Goldberg saying that Joe Lauzon said his little brother was better than him....soo..???

Im sure Lauzon wouldnt be able to dominate someone like Nate Diaz since we all know he has great defense just like his brother....so what will happen after they weather the storm???

I believe his brother took that fight on very short notice, hence the bad cardio.
kaduey
5/16/07 11:16:04PM
It was Rob Emerson
Trapt1nw0nder
5/17/07 10:22:16PM
lol......treating Wang like the unwanted step child

shackle
5/17/07 10:25:32PM
Now we are seeing why BJ gasses out. The guy needs to train better.

So much talent going to waste cause BJ refuses to train right.

I lose respect for BJ cause of this. He is letting all his fans down by not training right. I don't understand why people stick by him so much when he lets everyone down... Winning most of his latest fights till he gasses out.

He is going to continue to have a hard time if he thinks climbing palm trees is enough training. (ufc all access show covered his lackluster conditioning)

shackle
5/17/07 10:40:08PM
Man that fight was total domination.

Maynard looked pretty good. herb sure did let it keep going though.. should of been stopped sooner cause he wasn't going anywhere.

Don't think weems was one of the top guys though didn't look really in shape.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/17/07 10:46:22PM
what are they smoking out of that Hookah?

if its Tabacco,that is sick!...the only herb enjoyable through a Hookah would be bud

maybe they cut them a break and actually let them smoke bud for better TV drama.....come on..they buy them kegs and bottles

shackle
5/17/07 10:49:34PM
Yeah I was wondering that too.

Doubt it's weed lol someone would be getting arrested.

Whatever it was it was legal I bet. Maybe a mixture of herbs or strong tobacco.

tobacco can give a buzz if you don't smoke it, and it's strong so I've herd.

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

what are they smoking out of that Hookah?

if its Tabacco,that is sick!...the only herb enjoyable through a Hookah would be bud

maybe they cut them a break and actually let them smoke bud for better TV drama.....come on..they buy them kegs and bottles

richieb19
5/17/07 10:54:00PM
I feel disgusted that Dana mentioned Ken Shamrock like that... just isn't right...
Trapt1nw0nder
5/17/07 10:54:08PM
smoking out of a cigarette with a filter is harsh enough on the lungs for me,but smoking Tabacco out of a Hookah is insane!..unless its smoked like a cigar and not inhaled
shackle
5/17/07 10:59:57PM
Yeah I kinda feel shamrock never got the respect he deserved. He really his a good guy, but the tito crap made him look bad.

But his training ethics are old school, and he likes it that way. He did fail training his team right. He didn't move with the new age that was the issue.

He didn't move with the new generation fighers. Like many other old school fighters.

Posted by richieb19

I feel disgusted that Dana mentioned Ken Shamrock like that... just isn't right...

Trapt1nw0nder
5/17/07 11:03:03PM
soo...Sims and Noah are gonna get into a streetfight...who wins?

Looks like Sims beat Noah's ass...unless he comes back..lol
richieb19
5/17/07 11:05:27PM

Posted by shackle

Yeah I kinda feel shamrock never got the respect he deserved. He really his a good guy, but the tito crap made him look bad.

But his training ethics are old school, and he likes it that way. He did fail training his team right. He didn't move with the new age that was the issue.

He didn't move with the new generation fighers. Like many other old school fighters.

I don't feel thats the case at all, but either way he seems to be critisized by everyone who thinks TUF is the be all-end all of MMA... either way I wasnt impressed by Dana saying this, seeing as he was the man to announce him into the hall of fame, and that Ken has said numerous times that the show was edited against him, just like it was against Franklin... none the less what it comes down to is the quality of fighters on the teams, there is no possible way that a short period of time under any UFC legend will completely revamp a new fighters game, it's more of an experience and a chance to train under someone whos made it big... Shamrock's already proven hes a great coach, aside from Militech's team (and I'm not even completely sure on this), no other stable has ever produced more champs.
shackle
5/17/07 11:07:42PM
Oh for the hookah thing WIKI to the rescue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
Ydoc
5/17/07 11:14:49PM
Looking at the arguing about matchups makes me think they should let the last winners still have control. Good for Penn's wrestlers, although I thought Gray could have been more agrresive with Weems' back. Marlon making excuses to the very end was sad, he looked like he escaped a fire. I'd like to see the kinda scrubs Weems got that record agianst.

Trapt1nw0nder
5/17/07 11:15:42PM

Posted by shackle

I know what a Hookah is....Wiki wont help us know what they were smoking with it thought
shackle
5/17/07 11:17:00PM
This was a long time ago though. Most lost their titles quickly too.

That really wasn't the "new generation" either. MMA was still VERY new then. At least not where it is now as far as training, and fighters skills.

Not hating on shamrock either.. your talking to a guy who see shamrock as a idol. I've always been a fan since back in they day.

Shamrock's already proven hes a great coach, aside from Militech's team (and I'm not even completely sure on this), no other stable has ever produced more champs.

shackle
5/17/07 11:18:36PM
It tells you what commonly used/smoked with it in the description though.

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by shackle

I know what a Hookah is....Wiki wont help us know what they were smoking with it thought

richieb19
5/17/07 11:25:33PM

Posted by shackle

This was a long time ago though. Most lost their titles quickly too.

That really wasn't the "new generation" either. MMA was still VERY new then. At least not where it is now as far as training, and fighters skills.

Not hating on shamrock either.. your talking to a guy who see shamrock as a idol. I've always been a fan since back in they day.

Shamrock's already proven hes a great coach, aside from Militech's team (and I'm not even completely sure on this), no other stable has ever produced more champs.

Who lost their titles? Frank Shamrock defended his title till he left, and Mezger and Bohlander both won tournaments... also Mikey Burnett was robbed in a decisiona against Pat Militech for the LW title... plus Ken himself walked thru Royce, Severn, Oleg and Kimo durning his title run in the UFC...

I know what youre saying though and I somewhat agree, but Ken has actually adapted more to the sport than most people can imagine... he admitted that he was far behind before his fight with Otsuka, and he actually felt like his Lion's Den was training him instead of the other way around, but from there he trained striking exclusively, and was actually billed to fight Igor V in Pride before it fell thru... TUF 3 was the worst thing to ever happen to Shamrock's career IMHO (and seeing as I'm probably the biggest Shammy fan in existence), and not because he went like 11-3, but because of the way it portrayed him...
Trapt1nw0nder
5/17/07 11:31:19PM
whats the big deal?....Dana was only insulting Ken Shamrock's training on the TUF3 show,not his fighting career......It dont take a genius to figure out that Ken Shamrocks training was crap that season anyways
richieb19
5/17/07 11:32:53PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

whats the big deal?....Dana was only insulting Ken Shamrock's training on the TUF3 show,not his fighting career......It dont take a genius to figure out that Ken Shamrocks training was crap that season anyways

Apperantly it does, as it wasn't, only the perspective of it was...
shackle
5/17/07 11:34:12PM
Yup great point.

He is taking it to heart too much. Ken didn't train them like he could or should have simple as that.

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

richieb19
5/17/07 11:38:44PM

Posted by shackle

Yup great point.

He is taking it to heart too much. Ken didn't train them like he could or should have simple as that.

Am I taking it to heart, probably, but it's not as simple as that... Randy lost most of his fights on TUF1, but wheres all the critisizm towards him? All I'm saying is that the show didn't show what it should have, instead it showed the rivalry and the fact that Tito's team did much better (and I give him all the credit in the world for that).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13