TUF 5 Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF 5 Discussion
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Sam_Rothstein
5/8/07 4:33:08PM
you know earliar this week i was under the influence that Brian Geraghty was dumb for picking Joe Lauzon who is probably one of the fighters who a lot think will win the whole thing.

but i was looking at lauzons career so far and he has looked pretty steady but i see he lost a fight by tko in the 2nd round to a fighter in the same camp as geraghty.

the guys named was Jorge Masvidal who got a pretty big underground name by beating up Ray who is one of Kimbos street protéges who is known for fighting up to 2 fighters back to back. It was not a fight that will be on any stats but you can see it on the internet here .

Anyways jorge has also fought brian geraghty and won a decision against him, but in my opinion i think brian has a little bit of a plus seeing as a fighter he trains with outside the show has already beaten lauzon. I still dont know who will win the fight but i would be happy with either of them advancing since they are both usually pretty quiet and both look like they are taking advantages of the coaches and equipment

i hope corey advances to the next round because i think he was ripped off last round and should of been allowed to move on, but it works out for us fans because we get 2 fights and no gabe ruediger hahaha
rcg916
5/8/07 5:59:51PM

Posted by Rush

I get it and it's pretty funny and hits the nail on the head IMO.

thanks man, glad to see it didnt get wasted...lol
Cobbs666
5/9/07 8:47:05PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

you know earliar this week i was under the influence that Brian Geraghty was dumb for picking Joe Lauzon who is probably one of the fighters who a lot think will win the whole thing.

but i was looking at lauzons career so far and he has looked pretty steady but i see he lost a fight by tko in the 2nd round to a fighter in the same camp as geraghty.

the guys named was Jorge Masvidal who got a pretty big underground name by beating up Ray who is one of Kimbos street protéges who is known for fighting up to 2 fighters back to back. It was not a fight that will be on any stats but you can see it on the internet here .

Anyways jorge has also fought brian geraghty and won a decision against him, but in my opinion i think brian has a little bit of a plus seeing as a fighter he trains with outside the show has already beaten lauzon. I still dont know who will win the fight but i would be happy with either of them advancing since they are both usually pretty quiet and both look like they are taking advantages of the coaches and equipment

i hope corey advances to the next round because i think he was ripped off last round and should of been allowed to move on, but it works out for us fans because we get 2 fights and no gabe ruediger hahaha

nice work inspector gadget
Trapt1nw0nder
5/10/07 10:15:45PM
F*ck yea f*ckin Joe!!!

Sam_Rothstein
5/10/07 10:19:08PM
that was a complete domination from joe, i guess he proved to everyone right there that he could be a serious contender in the lightweight division
Trapt1nw0nder
5/10/07 10:30:25PM
i have a feeling emerson is gonna take it.......and it also looks like its gonna be a 3 rounder...

lets just hope its a good war!
waylon_o
5/10/07 10:48:01PM
That could quite possibly have been the nastiest leg kick of all time.
Sam_Rothstein
5/10/07 10:49:39PM
well corey is doing pretty good for his first actual fight... hahaha i cant believe he lied and said he had 4 fights when he only had 2 non professional fights

it looks like they are both pretty nervous in there

i couldnt give the fight to either one of them so far so i imagine it goes to a sudden death round

they both need to start listening to their coaches
Trapt1nw0nder
5/10/07 10:58:49PM
BS decision...Emerson won
waylon_o
5/10/07 11:01:31PM
Emerson got the raw end of the deal on that one...I think he won that. It had to be that Corey was the agressor the whole fight. I'm sure Dana will let him into the UFC anyway.
Sam_Rothstein
5/10/07 11:02:13PM
i could of seen it going either way

congrats to corey hill though

dana gave rob a chance to come back and he didnt do enough to really dominate it

he landed a lot of leg kicks in the 2nd round, but in the 3rd round it looked like corey was the only one pushing the action and it looked like emerson just wanted to try and steal it
Rush
5/10/07 11:06:49PM
Totally agree. There is no way Hill won that 3rd round unanimously. No way.

Emmerson should've gone for broke in the last minute. I don't know why he didn't.

man, I should train in MMA. Everything I said in the first round (to my wife) worked for Emmerson.

As for Joe's fight, finally a good fight (other than Manny's win). That's what I want to see.
shackle
5/10/07 11:07:24PM
By the rules you get points for controlling the fight.

Emerson was backing up most the 3rd round.

Emerson should of demolished him if you think about it... Cory hasn't had any pro fights( most likely hardly no training too other then the TUF stuff).

It was a pretty close fight though could of seen it going both ways, but I kinda see cory barely coming out due to controlling the 3rd round.

I don't think cory will win (the entire thing) it after seeing that, but he could do well if he gets some good training.

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

BS decision...Emerson won

shackle
5/10/07 11:13:36PM
You like seeing 1 sided fights?

I'd rather see a competitive war, but thats me. seems to make the fight more interesting :)

So far there hasn't been a really competitive all out war yet. rob/cory was ok just they hold back too much didn't go at it much.

Still it was a good fight not hating on you. Joe has proven some what he does have skill, and what happen with pulver may not be a luck shot.

I could see joe or diaz winning it.

Posted by Rush

As for Joe's fight, finally a good fight (other than Manny's win). That's what I want to see.

Ydoc
5/10/07 11:14:35PM

Posted by Ydoc
Corey hasn't ever fought, so a lot of people are banking on hid potential right now.

This guy was dead on.

Joe did what I expected, and for that very reason I think he has this season tied up with a nice little bow. I see him having Diaz or Karo's cousin in the finale and walking right through them. He was awesome, although I'm glad he didn't land that last elbow. He would have killed Brian if that landed. That body surf jump into a rear naked choke was priceless.

I'm with Trapt and others, Rob won that. Kudos to Corey for not being crippled over by those Hoost style leg kicks. Rob took the first replying to every one shot by Corey with two and he had the second easily. I may have to give the last round to Corey, but that point is mute because Rob already had it won in my opinion. Shame on Rob for not pushing it in the last round. Little let down by Corey, he couldn't take or keep Rob down and I think his crazy cut for 155 robs him of power (ko and wrestling). Also, that stand up of Corey's is awful, why lower your head and crouch to give your much smaller oppotent a head shot, and his hands are way too low.

I see Penn's wrestlers beating Pulver's leftovers, and if it goes that way it won't be as lopsided. I like this season so far. Oh, and it has to be Noah that gets kicked out by Penn, just has to be.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/10/07 11:22:26PM
i hope Cory does take Horn's offer and goes and trains with him,cuz he really....got a lack of a better word.....sucks

he fights too sloppy...he doesnt know how to use his reach....his wrestling didnt look impressive at all and he almost got submitted by a kickboxer

i dont see Cory making it through the quarter finals...no chance in hell......i like the guy,but he is an amature....he got more exhausted dancing around and moving his arms than actually fighting

Rush
5/10/07 11:31:09PM

Posted by shackle

I'd rather see a competitive war, but thats me. seems to make the fight more interesting :)

I want to see at least one guy go in there and fight as though he is not afraid to lose.

If that turns out to be a one sided fight, then so be it. When I see two guys hardly throw more than one or two strikes at a time and/or hardly try for the takedown, I don't find that interesting at all.

I haven't really seen a war this season and can't think of too many in the last year. In fact, I think the term 'war' is cliché these days.
shackle
5/10/07 11:33:25PM
Keep in mind by "competitive war" I was never referring to the cory fight. It was competitive, but not a war.

Posted by Rush

Posted by shackle

I want to see at least one guy go in there and fight as though he is not afraid to lose.

If that turns out to be a one sided fight, then so be it. When I see two guys hardly throw more than one or two strikes at a time and/or hardly try for the takedown, I don't find that interesting at all.

I haven't really seen a war this season and can't think of too many in the last year. In fact, I think the term 'war' is cliché these days.

Rush
5/10/07 11:35:11PM

Posted by shackle

Keep in mind by "competitive war" I was never referring to the cory fight. It was competitive, but not a war.

I wasn't implying anything on what you said. I was just stating my opinion on the matter.
shackle
5/10/07 11:39:50PM
Yeah training with horn would help ALOT. however I'd like to see him train with a boxing/Muay Thai trainer too. To work on how to use his reach better, and punching power.

How can you bash a guy with no fights really that just won aginst one of penns best fighters? Emerson didn't look so technical either out there other then the nice leg kicks. damn give him some respect I think people where expecting more from him since he is so tall.( after horn's statement about him I knew he wasn't all that knowledgeable about the mma game)

That being said I don't see cory winning the whole thing, but we will see. With work he will have a huge advantage over most other lightweights, but he has ALOT of work to do.

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

i hope Cory does take Horn's offer and goes and trains with him,cuz he really....got a lack of a better word.....sucks

he fights too sloppy...he doesnt know how to use his reach....his wrestling didnt look impressive at all and he almost got submitted by a kickboxer

i dont see Cory making it through the quarter finals...no chance in hell......i like the guy,but he is an amature....he got more exhausted dancing around and moving his arms than actually fighting

Trapt1nw0nder
5/10/07 11:40:05PM

Posted by Ydoc

Oh, and it has to be Noah that gets kicked out by Penn, just has to be.

its either Noah,Andy,or Allen.....but the thing is when BJ is looking at the guy and telling him he is off the team,Noah,and Allen are in the camera shot,and BJ isnt looking and pointing at either one,so i was thinking maybe it was Andy

Who knows....those editors really like to mess with our heads

now i understand why BJ wasnt willing to do an other season of this show..lol
Ydoc
5/10/07 11:46:35PM
Saw that too. And it seemed like someone in a gray hoody, which I've seen Andy sporting alot. Of course I've seen Gray wearing the same thing a few times but it couldn't be him, he seems like such a nice team leader type. Probably Andy... good eye, Trapt.
johny_rotten
5/11/07 3:26:52AM
I find it amusing that anyone looks at this show, and thinks it is relavent to how good of coach any of these fighters are. What do they have these kids for 6 weeks? It takes years of back round in areas of MMA to have a shot. By the time they first get in the octagon they barely know their coach. If you had 2 guys that were both at the same level, and then gave them 6 weeks with 2 coaches then I could see where it would make a differince, but other wise it means nothing. As the first few have shown us the only thing that helps these kids is they meet good connections for sponsors, and gyms so they can do this full time.
Nacho
5/11/07 3:29:13AM
Joe Lauzon- looks like a friendly internet nerd, but he'll rip your focking head off. How can he not be your favorite on TUF 5? I hope he fights Manny in the final and beats him.

If Emmerson had Joe's aggresiveness, he would have destroyed hill. Emmerson doesn't seem like he's afraid to get hit- but he wasn't engaging. I had to fast forward the 3rd round (on dvr) out of boredom and frustration. Quit shadow boxing! Sugar Ray Leonard beat Marvin Hagler by stealing rounds in the last 30 seconds by unloading. Emmerson needs to see that strategy, study it and apply it. It kind of reminded me of why I started booing big Timmay!
kbak303
5/11/07 9:35:02AM
I really expected when BJ to call '30 seconds' Emerson would just unload all over Hill....once he did it and Hill covered up quick and quarter-turned...i figured Emerson would push it...

Which one do you think he'll kick out (i don't keep up with names great) the Lobster-Monster? It didn't look like he was looking at the other two..and the previews said that Gray will fight next week...I would like to see him fight...

pharside
5/11/07 10:15:43AM
Corey will never be that good at 155, he needs ALOT of training and to move up to 170 have any power.
Manfred
5/11/07 11:55:57AM
Joe's latest blog : LINK

Great win from Joe, proved Pulver was no fluke. Hill fight could've gone either way, Emerson did fine on the ground and shouldn't have worried about the TD in round 3
shackle
5/11/07 1:12:46PM
LoL! that would be a horrible move for him. If he can make 155 he needs to stay there! It gives him a big genetic advantage over most other lightweights.

WIth the right trainers he could be molded into a great lightweight, his size is really what makes him a standout lightweight.

That would be the worst choice he ever made if he moved up. Then is advantage wouldn't standout quite as much with other bigger fighters.

Posted by pharside

Corey will never be that good at 155, he needs ALOT of training and to move up to 170 have any power.

fedorwins1
5/11/07 1:19:13PM
It was an ok episode, the Hill-Emerson fight made me mad, Emerson isn't aggressive enough at all. Joe Lauzon is a monster tho!
george112
5/11/07 2:17:05PM
Corey personally was a let down for me..he shows alot of aggression and intensity when he trains but once he stepped in that octagon he was mellow as hell..i mean i was expecting him to rip emersons head off..but that didnt happen..his lack of experience really hurt him IMO...Emerson won the fight in my eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13