TUF 5 Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF 5 Discussion
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Stickan
6/1/07 6:24:54PM

Posted by Aether
I personally didn't think that gray looked very impressive either... he didn't really seem able to finish the fight against a clearly inferior opponent, makes you wonder how he's going to finish when he's fighting someone who can fight back. I thought the most impressive fighters so far were Lauzon and Manny, then maybe Wiman and Gray/Diaz.

I don't agree with Gray not looking impressive. His takedowns were pretty much unstoppable and he usually used good setups for them as well. His JJ looked good for a guy who's known as a wrestler and he was very active on his feet as well.
I think Gray not being able to finish Brandon was more of a case of Brandon being better than everybody expected. He impressed me a lot and I think he could've finished Gray there once if he wasn't so sloppy with the sprawling and resisted the takedown a little more.
I think Brandon has a bright future in MMA if he ends up in a major camp that pushes him to his limits. He's got talent for sure.
Gray is obviously talented as well and should continue doing well in MMA as long as he keeps training with top guys.
cmill21
6/1/07 7:12:06PM
I was surprised by Gray, his standup was better then I thought. He threw with brandon and IMO he did very well, he took him down as he pleased and had good submission attempt time after time. Had he not overtraind I think it would have been a quicker fight. All in all I thought it was a really good fight. I still think Joe will win it all, well him or possibly Nate(hate him). Anyone giving Corey any kind of chance in their fight?
Ydoc
6/1/07 7:21:08PM

Posted by Stickan
I think Gray not being able to finish Brandon was more of a case of Brandon being better than everybody expected.

But he did finish him.

Stickan
6/2/07 3:46:33AM

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by Stickan
I think Gray not being able to finish Brandon was more of a case of Brandon being better than everybody expected.

But he did finish him.

haha yeah, sorry about that. Totally forgot. What I probably meant was that he didn't finish him in the impressive fashion everybody expected him to.
Trapt1nw0nder
6/2/07 6:34:52AM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by Stickan

But he did finish him.

haha yeah, sorry about that. Totally forgot. What I probably meant was that he didn't finish him in the impressive fashion everybody expected him to.

But he did finish him in impressive fashion i expected him to..

Stickan
6/2/07 8:24:40AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by Stickan

But he did finish him.

But he did finish him in impressive fashion i expected him to..

What do you want from me!!?!? ...
cmill21
6/2/07 12:08:33PM
Give gray props for vastly improving his standup. BJ seems to be the better coach, his guys are getting aloooot better. Not implying Joe, grey, and matt weren't good before but i've seen improvement in all 3, unlike all the pulver fighters.
Aether
6/2/07 3:59:59PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Aether
I personally didn't think that gray looked very impressive either... he didn't really seem able to finish the fight against a clearly inferior opponent, makes you wonder how he's going to finish when he's fighting someone who can fight back. I thought the most impressive fighters so far were Lauzon and Manny, then maybe Wiman and Gray/Diaz.

I don't agree with Gray not looking impressive. His takedowns were pretty much unstoppable and he usually used good setups for them as well. His JJ looked good for a guy who's known as a wrestler and he was very active on his feet as well.
I think Gray not being able to finish Brandon was more of a case of Brandon being better than everybody expected. He impressed me a lot and I think he could've finished Gray there once if he wasn't so sloppy with the sprawling and resisted the takedown a little more.
I think Brandon has a bright future in MMA if he ends up in a major camp that pushes him to his limits. He's got talent for sure.
Gray is obviously talented as well and should continue doing well in MMA as long as he keeps training with top guys.

That comment was actually made after his fight against weems, not the melendez fight, although I did predict him to beat Melendez as well. I just didn't think he was as impressive as people made him out to be at the beginning of the series. I still think he's top4 on the show or so, but I was a lot more impressed by joe and manny. I don't think gray will do very well against more seasoned lightweights, but I guess we'll see how he grows, I'm sure he'll get some fight night and undercard matches now that he's gotten this far in the series.
Aether
6/2/07 4:02:11PM
Yeah I know that he did finish Weems eventually as well before anyone says it, but he really seemed to have a lot more difficulty with it that he should have considering Weems' skill level.
creed3900
6/3/07 2:27:36AM
I'm going with Wiman over Gamburyan and Nate Diaz over Corey............
kbak303
6/3/07 2:18:11PM
Yep...same here

I'm torn now between Wiman and Joe being top dog..

of course I'm awaiting for the BJ/Pulver fight like nobody's business!
cmill21
6/3/07 2:41:53PM
It's been a while since i've seen Jens fight, I'm 90% positive he will get shit kicked by BJ. I'm assuming there going to be fighting at 155, but BJ has been fighting at 170 for some time so i'm curious how he'll do. And the other % of uncertanty is of course the past couple suprise endings of fights.
fedorwins1
6/3/07 3:00:25PM
I was watching the marathon last night, and for some reason Brandon Melendez's eyebrows were really bugging me idk why.....(random rant)
cmill21
6/3/07 3:10:58PM
I don't like melendez, glade he's gone, when your coach was the LW champ you should probly listen to him. Andy wang is another guy...how are you a JJ black belt do you not even attempt to take the guy to the ground?
Aether
6/3/07 8:12:12PM
forget the way he fights... I can't stand all of his ******* shogun/samurai/warrior analogies. "oh I'm like like a shogun you know, like a masterless warrior" "I want people to say, you know, that andy wang... he's a warrior!"

YOU CRIED AFTER VOLUNTARILY LOSING YOUR FIGHT.

You are not a samurai, please leave the show and let someone who wants to win fight, your "determination" to get your ass kicked isn't impressing anyone.
Ydoc
6/4/07 1:04:24AM

Posted by fedorwins1

I was watching the marathon last night, and for some reason Brandon Melendez's eyebrows were really bugging me idk why.....(random rant)

He reminds me of Stefan Karl from LazyTown...

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
kbak303
6/4/07 10:05:21PM

Posted by Aether

forget the way he fights... I can't stand all of his ******* shogun/samurai/warrior analogies. "oh I'm like like a shogun you know, like a masterless warrior" "I want people to say, you know, that andy wang... he's a warrior!"

YOU CRIED AFTER VOLUNTARILY LOSING YOUR FIGHT.

You are not a samurai, please leave the show and let someone who wants to win fight, your "determination" to get your ass kicked isn't impressing anyone.

I agree wholeheartedly...why did we keep him "in case someone gets hurt?" but then the next week you boot three for that backyard brawl...

i choked on my tea when he said something about 'masterless samurai' then argued about Jens picking him up! I'd been like 'shit yeah..where's my yellow jersey!!!"

OMG..fall on your katana already....
Signal2112
6/5/07 6:38:00AM
Yeah the whole Andy Wang thing is ridiculous. Especially the "I'm like a Ronin, a masterless warrior" thing. He was cretinous in his ability to ignore his corner during his fight. It actually made really bad viewing too, as he swung overhand right after overhand right....

...and then to sit in the ring crying afterwards since he was "so upset" at losing. If he had listened to BJ rather than chasing that elusive knockdown he could have won. He really had no-one to blame but himself for the way that fight went. To boot, he was classless when Pulver took him on too, talking about how he still felt obligated to BJ. Bad form!
Stickan
6/6/07 7:23:36PM

Posted by fedorwins1

They look like they're glued on there. Doesn't look like real ones.
Trapt1nw0nder
6/7/07 10:20:09PM
I dunno,but if Nate loses im gonna be real depressed.......Unless the Spurs win

he better win..

ok...i can breathe now..
cmill21
6/7/07 10:41:42PM
Wow, i'm surprised with Hill's performance...If he had more experience he would have won, I saw that triangle a mile away, as did most people.
shackle
6/7/07 11:05:56PM
Yeah he was controlling the fight pretty much.

Like I said with a good camp he could be a great fighter at 155 with his genetics. I can't wait to see him in a few years of good training.

Manny looked pretty good too.

Posted by cmill21

Wow, i'm surprised with Hill's performance...If he had more experience he would have won, I saw that triangle a mile away, as did most people.

Ydoc
6/7/07 11:12:58PM
Kinda of pissed off, because I thought since Diaz was training with Team Penn then Corey got lone time with Team Pulver, helping him make a gameplan for the fight. That didn't happen, as Diaz got private time with a team that helped him focus on a gameplan to beat Corey and time with his team which kept Corey from coming up with something against Diaz without him over hearing. Tough break for Corey in that sense, he should have showed up at Team Penn too. If anybody could use extra coaching and training it was Corey. Good fight, if Corey kept using his reach to hit him and snuff and throw Diaz around every time he went for a takedown he would have won. Good job on Diaz for catching him. Funny how Corey was all smiles in the lost, he knows he improved a lot since his last fight.

Nice job by Manny... amazing to see him get a single leg takedown against the wrestler. Wiman sounded whiny at the end... I agreed with Penn, he could have had it in the standup if he didn't cover the way he did. Your reach is worthless if your covering your face.

I really would like to see Gray vs. Wiman added to the finale if Gray uses his next match, which I think he will. That would be a great fight.

Can't wait for next week and like the idea of Joe vs. Gray/Nate vs. Manny, although I'd give Joe the nod I think that second fight is dead even after tonight.
mkiv9secsupra
6/7/07 11:13:38PM
how does everyone think this incident between Diaz and Parisyan is going to play out on the next TUF?
Ydoc
6/7/07 11:16:31PM
No idea... everyone should be celebrating Manny's win. Looking at everyone back there Diaz did look pissed for some reason, so I expect Diaz to start it. No idea how you start a fight off of a win though.
Trapt1nw0nder
6/7/07 11:22:56PM
I hope they make it Manny vs Lauzon and Nate vs Maynard......it would be a great match up to put Manny vs Maynard and Nate vs Lauzon,but im sure Dana wants to see Nate and Lauzon in the finals as do lots of us too

will the next fights still be only 2 rounds?...i really hope they make them 3 rounds....too much on the line for only 2 rounds this far into the tourney IMO

I wonder what Nick Diaz is thinking after seeing Karo pick on his little bro like that....now i really wanna see Nick Diaz vs Karo again..im sure they have both improved alot since the last fight.....Sucks that they had harsh words like that since Karo and Nick Diaz are both in my top 5 favorite fighters
cmill21
6/7/07 11:37:43PM
I wanted to see Karo fight Diaz. I hate Diaz, I hate the way he talks, acts, looks, fights, everything.
xthe_scottx
6/8/07 2:05:46AM

Posted by Ydoc

Nice job by Manny... amazing to see him get a single leg takedown against the wrestler. Wiman sounded whiny at the end... I agreed with Penn, he could have had it in the standup if he didn't cover the way he did. Your reach is worthless if your covering your face.

I agree. Wiman was way to timid standing with Gamburyan. Nice job by Manny though. He really made Wiman fight his fight. I can't wait for next week.
Nacho
6/8/07 2:54:03AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

how does everyone think this incident between Diaz and Parisyan is going to play out on the next TUF?

Just a hunch....Gamburian will be fighting Diaz in the Semis. Diaz and Karo's tiff = automatic bad blood between Diaz and Manny. I think Louzon's toughest fight will be Gray. If Joe and Nate pull of their wins, my prediction for the final comes true.
fedorwins1
6/8/07 7:25:27PM
I'm very impressed with Manny! He controled the ground and had good standup. I was also impressed with Corey, I thought he would go out there and get absolutely deystroyed, he did better than I thought he would.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13