TUF Controversy Sends Wrong Message About MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF Controversy Sends Wrong Message About MMA
DCRage
12/4/08 12:22:21PM
Yes, Dana White keeping proverbial TUF 8 bad boy Junie Browning around despite his should've been kicked off 3 times may have helped ratings, but according to MMA book author David Mayeda, PhD, it may also have hurt the evolution and mainstream acceptance of MMA as a whole.

Article
Mayo
12/4/08 12:37:50PM
wiggum
12/4/08 12:50:44PM
100% agree.....hardcore fans will say f**k ratings....but the show needs maintstream viewers to last, and junie brought em.....personally tho, im both mainstream and hardcore, i enjoy every bit of the show, but also follow ROC fighters if ya know what im sizzin' ..and i personally grew extremely tired of his menstrial cycles....its was a pathetic display of ignorance for such a talented fighter.....i guess we'll see were he goes from here tho, i know shawn tompkins will literally whup his a** if he gets out of line down at EC
emfleek
12/4/08 12:59:19PM

Posted by wiggum

if ya know what im sizzin'

nickcuc547
12/4/08 2:17:00PM
the thing i hate the most is when people talk about the image of the sport, what sports league has a good image with it's players, there are plenty of guys as bad as junie in every other professional sports league that are there because they are good, same goes with junie, he has talent, there is a place for him in the ufc, end of story.
theguido
12/4/08 3:04:57PM
Point being Junie doesn't represent the majority of new comers but he get the most air time and that makes it seem to some that that's what MMA fans want to see that thats what we support when most of us are really true fight fans and thats what we want to see not some dip sh!t p!ssin in someones food.
Canadian-Pain
12/4/08 4:11:39PM
In sport, people need villians as much as heroes
GrandMaster313
12/4/08 4:38:29PM

Posted by nickcuc547

the thing i hate the most is when people talk about the image of the sport, what sports league has a good image with it's players, there are plenty of guys as bad as junie in every other professional sports league that are there because they are good, same goes with junie, he has talent, there is a place for him in the ufc, end of story.

Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg, Pacman Jones beats up his bodyguard hired to keep him out of trouble, and a huge fight broke out between the pistons/pacers/and fans. You dont see these leagues concearned about their "image" do you?

People want to complain because a professional fighter gets upset and wants to fight another professional fighter outside the ring??? give me a break. Steroids would tarnish the image of the UFC worse than Junie Browning's shenanigans!
bls1919
12/4/08 4:57:12PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

People want to complain because a professional fighter gets upset and wants to fight another professional fighter outside the ring??? give me a break. Steroids would tarnish the image of the UFC worse than Junie Browning's shenanigans!

Maybe if there is a legit beef .....then i dont have a problem. but just casual talking and then "BOOM". Junie is a bit too out of control for me. He is soo lucky that one of those guys didn't kick his ass. Oh wait they did.....WAR EFRAIN!!!!!!! I really didn't even see all of this "potential" that Dana and Mir were seeing.
dstlvb
12/4/08 5:45:13PM
Well actually all those leagues are concerend about there image. Since Goodall has taken over he has come down harshly on players that have had repeated problems. The NBA put a dress code in place because they belived they had an image problem with there sponsors. Fair or not MMA has image problems with the mainstream and this just fuels it. Dana White kicked a guy off he show for simply cheering on a fight in the house. Junie on at least two occasions has gotten into physical altercations with fellow housemates. Twice has thrown a galss at fellow housemates, once cutting someone an the next looked to be thrown with enough force to do real damage. Charged the cage after a fight and tried to go after one of the other fighters, and in Danas own words said if " Marc Ratner had been there he would be gone" I guess since Junie seems to be a better fighter he gets breaks. I wonder how many people on here defending Junie complain about high priced, privaliged athletes getting cut breaks simply because they can play.
EliasG
12/4/08 6:10:58PM
Sadly, many would only complain if he was black.
stanjitsu
12/4/08 6:36:32PM
the guy who wrote this article is a idiot
nickcuc547
12/4/08 7:33:01PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

Posted by nickcuc547

Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg, Pacman Jones beats up his bodyguard hired to keep him out of trouble, and a huge fight broke out between the pistons/pacers/and fans. You dont see these leagues concearned about their "image" do you?

word
prozacnation1978
12/4/08 8:07:34PM
junie is such a sore loser, they don't need him representing the ufc
GrandMaster313
12/4/08 8:42:51PM

Posted by dstlvb

Well actually all those leagues are concerend about there image. Since Goodall has taken over he has come down harshly on players that have had repeated problems. The NBA put a dress code in place because they belived they had an image problem with there sponsors. Fair or not MMA has image problems with the mainstream and this just fuels it. Dana White kicked a guy off he show for simply cheering on a fight in the house. Junie on at least two occasions has gotten into physical altercations with fellow housemates. Twice has thrown a galss at fellow housemates, once cutting someone an the next looked to be thrown with enough force to do real damage. Charged the cage after a fight and tried to go after one of the other fighters, and in Danas own words said if " Marc Ratner had been there he would be gone" I guess since Junie seems to be a better fighter he gets breaks. I wonder how many people on here defending Junie complain about high priced, privaliged athletes getting cut breaks simply because they can play.

yeah maybe they say they are concearned about their image but deep down they are not. It might be because these sports have been around a lot longer than MMA but I dont think these guys like Goodell, Stern, and Selig really care. This brings them publicity in a down economy. Bad Publicity is still good publicity and Junie Brown is great publicity.
dstlvb
12/4/08 8:51:19PM
If those other leagues didnt care then they woudnt go to the lengths they do. Its even more important now in this down economy. There is a reason that Dana has been fighting this stereotype from day 1 when he took over the company.
GrandMaster313
12/4/08 9:28:01PM

Posted by dstlvb

If those other leagues didnt care then they woudnt go to the lengths they do. Its even more important now in this down economy. There is a reason that Dana has been fighting this stereotype from day 1 when he took over the company.

If by lengths you mean indefinitely suspend athletes only to bring them back while they still get into trouble then i would say that their lengths are pretty short. And on another point you have referees out there fixing games. could this happen in the UFC..... maybe the possibility is there but your talking about chump change compared to the amount people are betting on football, basketball and other major sports.
Bloodhound
12/4/08 9:31:28PM
Junie should have been kicked off the show awhile ago between throwing glass at people, jumping in the ring after a fight, attemtping to hit people he makes MMA look bad
GrandMaster313
12/4/08 9:37:45PM
ill say this..... It will only be a bad decision to have kept Junie on the show if he doesn't Pan out in the UFC. They need to give this guy a 3 fight deal. give him 2 mediocre fighters and 1 mainstream fight. If he goes 2/3 then we can talk future with the kid but if he loses his first 2 fights then it is a lost !