TUF Coaching

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » TUF Coaching
Evilwig
11/2/07 10:23:09AM
I was watching TUF episode 7 yesterday and I was wondering if Hugues problem is with his coaching or with his fighters. I think the problem is with his coaching for that type of even. I mean, it`s a six weeks camp so those are there to learn and not to win a competition against other team. Also, I think that the boot camp technique is not appropriate for the show. Most of them are rookies and they just want to learn and have fun. I think Serra has a better ability to put the fun in it and teach them rather than drill them. Again, if he was losing 6-1 maybe he too would be a drilling coach too.

What do you think guys?
waylon_o
11/2/07 11:24:51AM
If they're there to just learn and have fun, they shouldn't be on the show. They are there to win and only to win. If they just wanted to have a good time and be on tv...TUF isn't the place to do it.
Throwdown
11/2/07 11:36:44AM

Posted by waylon_o

If they're there to just learn and have fun, they shouldn't be on the show. They are there to win and only to win. If they just wanted to have a good time and be on tv...TUF isn't the place to do it.

I agree... I also think Hughes needs to step it up as a leader tho.. he gets too easily discouraged - and that makes me almost doubt him when he faces Serra because u can't get down like that...
Evilwig
11/2/07 11:59:47AM
Most of these guys are still rookie.
I think it's better for them to learn the rope and get their confidence rather than get the shit yell of them.

Instead of yelling at them for not listening to the game plan or telling them they are scare. He should help understand what a game plan his and why they decide to diverge from them. By just yelling and punishing he doesn't help their mental getting stronger... In my opinion....
R-Bandd
11/2/07 12:13:36PM
Heres a different way to look at it. What do these guys do for a living when not fighting ?? Serra is a teacher and trainer, Hugues is a farmer. Also Serra has a big advantage..... he has been on the other side of the show before.
BigEvil
11/2/07 5:56:58PM
I don't know if Hughes is a crappy coach (he seems like it, way to emotional) but I think Serra is a very good coach. I also think he is one of the best cornermen. Yes he does yell and it could be annoying (as J-Rock pointed out) but his fighters seem to respond great to him. Meanwhile Hughes sits there mumbling some country garbage that his fighters don't listen too.
MALICE
11/2/07 7:16:46PM

Posted by BigEvil

I don't know if Hughes is a crappy coach (he seems like it, way to emotional) but I think Serra is a very good coach. I also think he is one of the best cornermen. Yes he does yell and it could be annoying (as J-Rock pointed out) but his fighters seem to respond great to him. Meanwhile Hughes sits there mumbling some country garbage that his fighters don't listen too.

I can understand that country garbage. Its that high pitched squealing ,coming from the other side of the ring, that I cant listen to.
roadking95th
11/2/07 10:28:40PM
Coaching, what coaching? I wish we got to see more of it and less time in the house. When was the last time we saw Serra drilling his guys?
BerndRealBad
11/3/07 1:23:59AM
As a trainer, I think Hughes is top notch. As a coach, I think he's garbage. If he was a good enough coach like Serra was, his fighters could have taken about 2-3 of those fights. The fight with Troy and Paul is a perfect example. Serra is yelling at Troy step by step what he needs to do to be avoid being submitted, and all we hear from Hughes is 'Elbows!'.

Another example...remember Jason Von Flue vs. Jorge Gurgel? Jason, who was seen as the weakest fighter on Team Hughes, took out Jorge, who was seen as the best fighter on Team Franklin. It was one of the better battles of the season, maybe even spanning the seasons it could be seen as Top 10. So after Jason wins, what does Matt Hughes do? Plays solitaire in the corner and basically ignores his fighter who just scored the biggest win for their team. His logic?

"Well it was my worst fighter against their best so either way I had nothing to lose..."

Nice.
icrazysob
11/6/07 9:46:46AM
While I think Serra is leagues in front of Hughes when it comes to being a trainer/coach.. I think this season is more or less about match ups and luck or possibly even the fighters themselves ..whether that ties into the preparation or not well who knows, I mean Season 2 Hughes fighters especially the welterweights did fine, in fact I'm trying to think if any of Hughes welterweights even lost...or maybe Hughes just doesn't want to be there this season,which he has stated before