Does TUF really need champions and challengers?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does TUF really need champions and challengers?
ufc88
4/29/08 9:19:41PM
I was just thinking that Tuf doesnt need to tie up a division just for the show I think with the right fighters as coaches any season can be entertaining. They can do Hendo and Franklin . Herring and Brandon Vera . Karo and Fitch (after he loses to GSP)
aaa9erh8er
4/29/08 9:27:03PM
i think alot of fighters would make good coaches. but this way they really build up the title fight and that card (which is kinda lacking at this point) GIVE THE WORLD TIME TO soak it all in. i think but this is my opinon i would like to see team chute-box vs maybe team miletich. both great camps that have produced some serious champions. or team delagrotte vs the trainers from a.k.a. you no really have some good teachers just becouse your a good fighter doesnt make you a good coach i.e shamrock.
Twenty20Dollars
4/29/08 9:34:11PM
it's just the UFC wants to hype up the title fight. Like I liked the way they did season 5 with bj and jens they fought on the finale because there was no title on the line but they had a history.

But now that they have done the coaches as champ and challenger i dont they can go away from that because if you have just have two random guys, the show isnt going have as much rating i think.
JimiMak
4/29/08 10:09:40PM
Champions should never, ever be tied up w/ this show.
jimmypockets
4/30/08 1:41:04AM

Posted by JimiMak

I completely agree.
Jackelope
4/30/08 1:52:03AM

Posted by JimiMak

I absolutely agree. We've had to suffer too long through this nonsense with Serra and Jackson as champs. TUF is great for the casual fans to really get involved with the sport, but it is not the sport IMO. Just take a look at Tommy Speer for an example of that. He dominates several opponents on TUF (whom the general public figured were great fighters) and then gets KTFO'd by a relative "nobody" in the actual UFC.

I think TUF is great, but it's not the SPORT. Making the champions of the SPORT participate in something that is merely a taste of the sport takes away from the big picture. Look how confused both the welter weight and the light heavyweight divisions are at the moment. Is it a coincidence that both of these divisions have had their belts on the show? I think not.

I also agree that having TUF coaches be experienced trainers like Greg Jackson and Mark Delagrotte would be a phenomenal idea. The fighters would really develop, IMO, and you wouldn't have to worry about taking your stars out of the big picture.

aaa9erh8er
4/30/08 7:51:19PM
good idea jackson would be a great coach or any of the ones i already said but fighters themselfs not so much i fully agree that the bad blood ones are good and you dont need to tie up a belt. but i really hope they stay away from another hasbeen show. but im not oposed to putting like 8 of the top Mw's (curently in the div) and 8 of the top Ww( already in the div) and truly see who the no.1 contender is
Tein_Lung
4/30/08 10:08:34PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

i think alot of fighters would make good coaches. but this way they really build up the title fight and that card (which is kinda lacking at this point) GIVE THE WORLD TIME TO soak it all in. i think but this is my opinon i would like to see team chute-box vs maybe team miletich. both great camps that have produced some serious champions. or team delagrotte vs the trainers from a.k.a. you no really have some good teachers just becouse your a good fighter doesnt make you a good coach i.e shamrock.

when was shamrock a good fighter???
Tein_Lung
4/30/08 10:09:54PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

good idea jackson would be a great coach or any of the ones i already said but fighters themselfs not so much i fully agree that the bad blood ones are good and you dont need to tie up a belt. but i really hope they stay away from another hasbeen show. but im not oposed to putting like 8 of the top Mw's (curently in the div) and 8 of the top Ww( already in the div) and truly see who the no.1 contender is

the drawback with that is you tie up 2 weight classes if you take the top fighters out to do a show... thats 6 months that they are on the shelf... thats worse then tieing up titles