TUF 8 Champ May Debut At UFN 19

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF 8 Champ May Debut At UFN 19
DCRage
1/2/09 3:48:20PM
Although no announcement has been made and paperwork is not done yet, Jeremy Stephens says that he will be the opponent for TUF 8 Lightweight winner Efrain Escudero in his first post-TUF fight, likely to be at UFN 19 in April.

Article
ohiostate1016
1/2/09 3:55:13PM
Stephens would be an excellent fight for Escudero. The only thing that Efrain has to watch out for is the standup game, because he'll put a clinic on Stephens on the ground.
nickcuc547
1/2/09 4:10:37PM
this is as tough a debut fight that a tuf winner has ever gotten, stephens is tough as nails and well rounded, i think he beats efrain.
MikeyG
1/2/09 5:14:35PM

Posted by nickcuc547

this is as tough a debut fight that a tuf winner has ever gotten, stephens is tough as nails and well rounded, i think he beats efrain.

me too as well, yeah he beat nover but stephans is more well rounded than nover and efrain's best shot is to grind out a decision, but jeremy is too experienced to be caught up in LnP by a relative newcomer imo
scoozna
1/2/09 5:25:45PM

Posted by nickcuc547

I was thinking the same thing...kinda throwing him to the wolves right away. But, hey, I've consistently been surprised by the TUFers, and I don't just mean season 1 TUFers.
gsquat
1/2/09 5:30:16PM
Wow. They're not feeding him any cans. I see Efrain submitting Stephens in the 2nd or 3rd. He wont stand with him for too long.
prozacnation1978
1/2/09 5:40:16PM
no can tomatoes for the champ i do think jeremy will be too much for him and will knock him out
Twenty20Dollars
1/2/09 5:52:51PM
Wrestling will be the key in this fight, efrain in offensive trying to get the fight to the ground and stephens to try and keep the fight standing.

Should be a good fight. I will prolly take stephens.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
1/2/09 7:11:59PM
I like this fight my heart is with Effrain but it will be tough, def... not feeding him a can to build him up, stephans has proven to be a tough out for anyone he's faced
bls1919
1/2/09 8:14:57PM
This would really test Efrain's mettle. I think Stephens takes it by TKO late 2nd
Wolfenstein
1/2/09 10:17:57PM
Definetely a big first challenge for Efrain. When you look at some other season winners...Amir Saddolah vs Nick Catone, Mac Danzig vs Mark Boceck, Nate Diaz vs Junior Usuncao, and Kendall Grove vs Chris Price...for sure this time around there's a big disparity to the norm. Most likely this is due to Efrain having already beaten a tough opponent in the finale combined with sporting an 11-0 record.

I like that he's being bought in against stiff competition. It's still a good matchup for Efrain stylistically as Stephens is more striker than grappler. It's a fight Efrain should win, but Jeremy is no pushover and at 16-3 you know he's used to winning. It's surprising that they're going to feed Stephens to Efrain because I would have expected after the highlight reel knockout, they would have given some more favorable matchups to build this 22 year old kid up.
StevieC
1/3/09 10:23:19AM
I have to say this seems to be the toughest fight for a TUF winner in all the seasons after winning TUF. I will be picking Stephens....