Should TUF Be Cancelled?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should TUF Be Cancelled?
POLL: Should TUF Be Cancelled If It Doesn't Make Changes?
Yes 18% (13)
No 82% (58)
KO
12/15/08 3:20:46PM
I believe TUF cast is making a joke out of MMA. Can't believe they don't kick guys off for acting like 15 year olds. This is MMA folks not a frat party.
mentalcase
12/15/08 3:33:24PM
people watch the show because guys are acting like 15year olds.
and more people that watch the show the more people will be likey to become fans of ufc and mma
the more fans the more money, more money equals more quality fighters equals groth of mma all this is good for mma.
half the people on this site were probably sucked in by TUF.
Aaronno9
12/15/08 3:49:09PM
No, its fun to watch. Plus you get the odd good fighter here and there. Its ratings might be dropping but they're still high.

I dont see why everybody expects anybody who competes has to be a role model, at the end of they day they're just a bunch of young guys with nothing to do for 6 weeks but train. Cant blame em for getting bored. Junie did take it to far though, should of been off the show after week 3.
BigEvil
12/15/08 4:00:06PM
I don't want it to be canceled just becuase it gives more mma to watch. The antics that the fighters do can give you a real reason to love or hate a fighter. I think it is a great way to become more attatched to fighters and makes them all the more exciting to watch. Tell me you would care as much about guys like Forest Griffin even giving all he's done in MMA if we hadn't seen his personality on the show and witnessed his skills develop over time?
higdon10
12/15/08 4:07:17PM
There is now way that TUF will be cancelled. It's the best thing the UFC has going for them.
Diamondback2
12/15/08 4:15:37PM
Yeah that would be suicide for devloping new fighters.

My buddy that watches MMA here and there cannot tell u whom Justin Bucholoz (sp?), Alvin Robinson, or even Jake Shields is for that matter.

Yet he knows every fighter from TUF 5 and 8. Every single one....

That's enough proof for me right there.
tepid55
12/15/08 4:16:45PM
The UFC should cancel TUF and go look for fighters like they once did.
dannyfrank
12/15/08 5:23:06PM

Posted by mentalcase

and more people that watch the show the more people will be likey to become fans of ufc and mma
the more fans the more money, more money equals more quality fighters equals groth of mma all this is good for mma.

the only reason im a big mma fan is because i turned the tv on one day and decided to watch TUF 5. after that, i started actually watching events and couldnt get enough. i say "thank you TUF"

however, i do not want to see TUF 9 because i think the UK v. USA idea is lame
higdon10
12/15/08 6:12:14PM

Posted by dannyfrank

It is pretty lame.
FrankTheTank1181
12/15/08 7:49:31PM

Posted by mentalcase

I actually watch the show for the fighting and could care less about the antics that happen in the house. I wish they would show more of the training and stuff and not all the house downtime (which will never happen).
dannyfrank
12/15/08 8:13:26PM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

Posted by mentalcase

I actually watch the show for the fighting and could care less about the antics that happen in the house. I wish they would show more of the training and stuff and not all the house downtime (which will never happen).

i think he's talking about newer fans. with the new fans (like when i was new to mma) i started watching TUF just to see a bunch of dudes acting like dumbasses with a cool fight at the end of each episode. but after i started watching it i realized how much i actually like mma. the antics are what pull people into the show, and the mma is what keeps them watching. i do wish they focused more on the training though.
Aether
12/15/08 8:14:24PM
I think that's an elitist attitude adopted by "true" MMA fans. The main reason MMA is popular is because of this show. People like to see that stuff. I find it entertaining too and I don't really see how people's inaccurate generalizations about something they don't understand are remotely important.

Stupid people also play basketball, football, and every other sport, there's no point running around trying to make everyone look and act a certain way because you're worried people will decide the sport is stupid based on the actions of a select group of participants.
Kpro
12/15/08 8:38:53PM
There's no reason to cancel it. It draw ratings, creates new fans, creates fan attachments to certain fighters, and is partially responsible for the sports popularity. Besides, all publicity is good publicity regardless of what the pundits say.
KO
12/15/08 8:57:05PM
I have been watching the UFC since the early 90's and don't want it to turn into the WWE with storylines and crap. Not that I think that is what will end up happening with TUF, but some of the guys in the house sure do put on a show and are too immature for pro mma.
Jackelope
12/15/08 9:57:51PM
There is a problem developing with TUF, but I'm still all for it.

The problem I speak of is when legitimately good fighters try out for the show and don't get invited on because they're TOO good. It is happening every season more and more, and the UFC is starting to do what some of the hardcores have feared all along- Promoting the product instead of the fighters.

Granted there are still some good up and comers making it on to the show (as was showcased last season) but it is happening, and these lesser fighters are filling undercard slots where great fighters could be.
Sledge23
12/16/08 11:06:36AM
there is way to many reality shows, get rid of them all. And the fighters arent as good, when you run out of good fighters, STOP. when all of the pretty girls in the world are gone they wont have Rock Of Love anymore.
browneye
12/16/08 1:06:08PM
This shouldn't even be a subject TUF will not ever be cancelled and if it was it would be in like ten years or more
MFOTHER
12/16/08 6:09:43PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by mentalcase

the only reason im a big mma fan is because i turned the tv on one day and decided to watch TUF 5. after that, i started actually watching events and couldnt get enough. i say "thank you TUF"

yup.
pv3Hpv3p
12/16/08 6:27:30PM
I don't really care... Although I like the free finales (although they've been going steadily down hill in a fighter quality aspect)... And it's cool to get to see a fight a week for a while, but I don't really watch the "reality" part of it as I'm not really a reality TV fan... Thank god for a DVR
MikeyG
12/17/08 8:45:54AM
Yes TUF should be cancelled, it just isnt interesting anymore, oh some guy got in a fight with another guy on the cast or a guy throws glass shards at another guy wow what a shock immature dudes trying to make a name off of mischief and booze, old news nobody cares lets move on.

TUF has gone downhill since season 1 and 2, almost all TUF seasons should be like those or season 4 the comeback or some format like getting awesome talent instead of letting all this young kids with 5-3, 2-1, 8-5, 12-6 records with raw talent at best in the lime light so quickly and making a mockery of the sport with mello dramaic b******t.

This was the first season broadcasted outside the US and I'm not proud to be an American or a fan of MMA from what I saw of this season or frankly the past 3 or 4, dana...cut the cord or improve it.
Franklinfan47
12/17/08 10:42:06AM
I said yes, but for a different reason. As Koschek said, The tuf talent pool is running very dry!
KO
12/17/08 12:27:33PM

Posted by browneye

This shouldn't even be a subject TUF will not ever be cancelled and if it was it would be in like ten years or more

Thats funny, every show on TV is cancelled at some point.
Rachel7484
12/18/08 1:42:28PM
People who don't watch mma often have misconceptions about the fighters, they think fighters are cavemen who just like to beat the crap out of each other or they can't get a job doing anything else. There has been a lot of hard work put into dispelling the myth that all fighters are like that and unfortunately the antics on the latest TUF have done nothing to help the image of mma, they have helped to reinforce the image that fighters are idiots! For this reason I think Dana White should be a lot more selective about who is chosen for the show, I understand he would like to make an entertaining programme but it should not be at the expense of the sports reputation.
TheCatFather
12/19/08 5:30:16PM
TUF is still great, granted Junie was a step back but I think Dana and the guys really hated Junie so much that they wanted him to get his ass handed to him and they are no feeding off that, love to hate him, you will watch to see if he gets beat.
Another thing, if you choose a profession where your going to get your arm snapped or your nose smashed in, something gotta be wrong with you.
Sam_Rothstein
12/26/08 8:18:40AM
The biggest change they can make is upping the contract. I mean the guys on Contender got $1,000,000 for season 1 and 2 and I think $500,000 for the 3rd and all they had to do was win the show.

Now with the 32 fighters you have to fight 4 times to win the show just to get a contract of a maximum off $300,000 for your next 9 proffesional fights.....Cmon really?!?!?!

I mean brock lesnar made more in his fight vs randy couture then a TUF Winner would make after spending years in the ufc
mrkennedy
12/26/08 12:33:13PM
hell no