Trying to switch full vegan and keep built strong physique.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Trying to switch full vegan and keep built strong physique.
seanfu
11/6/08 1:17:13AM
Are there any full blown vegans that can help me out. I've seen Mac Danzig and the guy has had a beasty physique in the past eating only organic stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the subject.

Wondering whether there are secrets I'll have to know to maintain mean cardio eating only organics etc
Ordep
11/6/08 1:46:57AM
I know Mac is a vegan, but it is not the same as eating organic only. for example there is organic everything (meat,eggs,chicken,beef,etc.).

Organic = no preservatives or any artificial product was involve in producing or cooking the food.

I've been to organic farms so basically they don't use any kind of Nitrogen based fertilizers or pesticides. They just cycle their own stuff (soil,compost,etc) to gain nutrients and other elements and they use the same as fertilizer. As for the meat and stuff, they basically raise the animal free-range... so they eat around what they find in the farm (fruits,herbs, insects) and gain more muscle mass while exercising around (not laying on a cage accumulating fat).

For vegan, is just no animal products at all. No eggs, no milk, no cheese etc.... but it doesn't mean it is organic. You can eat a tomato that have been fertilized with the nastiest chemical, sprayed on with the stinkiest pesticides and dipped into the most awful preservatives ever. You wont be eating "organic" but will still be vegan.
seanfu
11/6/08 1:57:58AM
In that case thanks for the info on the proper terminology. Still though, as far as a full vegan diet I'm looking for tips. Can't find much beyond use of supplements and buying oils for aminos.
loller90278
11/6/08 2:57:19AM
i was a vegan for a long time, the main part of my diet was all kinds of nuts. i ate a couple of vitamins per day, and supplements. my whole excercise was "prison" style where you just do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, curls, runs, etc.. i was in decent shape. from a health perspective, if you perfect the vegan diet, it's the best lifestyle choice for your body.
mikevolz
11/6/08 7:46:30AM
being vegan, you're going to cut out a lot of the high quality proteins that your body can get.

eggs, fish, white meat, milk - all some of the best proteins for your body

you're going to need to eat things like soy, whey, nuts (peanut butter, go for organic, smuckers makes a great peanut butter), beans, vegetables to compensate.

its important to remember that

a. genetics play a major role in physique (it would be very hard, for me to look like mac danzig without special help)

b. avoiding shakes and meal substitutes. taking a protein shake isn't bad, but you NEVER replace the real thing for a protein shake. Fresh protein from food will always be better.

I.e. if i have a choice of eating 2 or 3 eggs, (or in your case, tofu and beans) or a protein shake, i will ALWAYS take the eggs.

edit: and remember to eat good carbs with your protein intake, it will help aid your body in digestion. i have a terrible time digesting protein myself, and i would eat around 4:1 carbs to protein whenever i did.
Rush
11/6/08 8:44:27AM
if you are true vegan, you will have to take a Vitamin B12 supplement and possibly an iron supplement.
bayonetxwork
11/6/08 12:00:41PM

Posted by loller90278

i was a vegan for a long time, the main part of my diet was all kinds of nuts. i ate a couple of vitamins per day, and supplements. my whole excercise was "prison" style where you just do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, curls, runs, etc.. i was in decent shape. from a health perspective, if you perfect the vegan diet, it's the best lifestyle choice for your body.

hmm, just curious, what was your reason for being vegan/stop being vegan?
Gipper
11/6/08 4:01:40PM
dude your crazy
The-Don
11/6/08 4:14:37PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by loller90278

My gues is that Meat tastes GOOOOOOOD!!!!! its also Manly...
loller90278
11/6/08 7:39:21PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by loller90278

honestly it was very dumb. all i have to say was that i wanted to boink this extremely good looking girl very badly.

she chose the place....a steak house.... (she didnt know i was a vegan) and i had a piece of her steak. i felt like i was going to die from it, because my body stopped making the amino acids to break down red meat and i was in pain for a good while.. but then i started having it in small doses and now i can eat it whenever.

whenever possible though, i try to avoid it whenever i can. i usually eat at vegan places whenever i eat out. and i really can't have any dairy because im lactose intolerant.

and the worst part of that is, i didn't even sleep with the girl! ugh, women
higdon10
11/8/08 5:59:42PM

Posted by loller90278
and the worst part of that is, i didn't even sleep with the girl! ugh, women

Ouch.