Trying to become good at mma.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Trying to become good at mma.
blackburnman04
3/3/08 3:57:44PM
Now i know you said in the rules, that you didnt want people asking these questions, but i would be ever so grateful if someone could reply.

I am 15 years old. 5 foot 11 inches. 170 pounds. And i would like to know, what would be the best type of MMA training i should start with. There is a class 5 mins away from me that teaches Jujitsu.

Would this be worthwhile to start out with?

And what would i need to learn to be decent at MMA

Thanks for any replys?

And if you want to leave any other advice or tips. I would be ever so grateful.

Thank you for your help, and patience with a newbie like me.

Calling it mma as requested. lol
Salty
3/3/08 4:14:18PM
your 15 which means your most likely in highschool, join your wrestling team (if your school has one) and start there, its usually free, and a good place to start.

...and stop calling it cage fighting....
blackburnman04
3/3/08 4:16:19PM
my school doesnt have a wrestling club or anything. :(

Any other ideas??

Thanks for the reply. :)
SmileR
3/3/08 4:28:23PM
Jujitsu is a good place to start but i wouldn't do anything else with it until you are good at that.
Then once you have that as your base build around it.
Thats about the best advice i can offer.
blackburnman04
3/3/08 4:31:32PM

Posted by SmileR

Jujitsu is a good place to start but i wouldn't do anything else with it until you are good at that.

thanks for the advice SmiileR.
ocho-cinco
3/3/08 4:32:40PM
I think JuJitsu would be a great place to start especially if its that close to your house. If you compete in MMA your going to have to learn it sometime, so you might as well study it now.
SmileR
3/3/08 4:33:17PM

Posted by blackburnman04

Posted by SmileR

thanks for the advice SmiileR. Sorry for my noobish question.

Haha don't mention it man. I was in the same position a few years ago myself.
blackburnman04
3/3/08 4:38:05PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

I think JuJitsu would be a great place to start especially if its that close to your house. If you compete in MMA your going to have to learn it sometime, so you might as well study it now.

also thank you ocho-cinco for your info.
blackburnman04
3/3/08 4:40:06PM
lol. I guess we have all asked noobish questions. As i learnt in life you dont leasrn unless you ask questions. lol.
CactusBob
3/3/08 5:15:56PM
What is your physical background? Are you fit enough to start taking classes? Are you athletic? Not too many 15 year olds are a lean 170 at 5'11'', maybe cutting a bit of weight is in order.

If you have no physical background, begin with a stretching routine every morning, at least 20 minutes. Learn what you can and can't do, and make goals of where you want to be in a year. I did the same thing, and these were my goals several years ago...
-Touch toes within the year
-Full splits within the year
-50 pushups, progressing to 100 by years end
-body bridge, or body splint for 5 minutes (i've heard both names)
-150-200 deep knee bends done slowly
Also, absolutly research a stretch before adding it as you can really hurt yourself. Once you have flexibility, martial arts is much more easily learned and practiced with less chance of sidelining injuries. Also get your cardio up, once you can run a 6 minute mile, then worry about martial arts. The good news is you are young, and could have all this before 17. There is no need to jump into fighting just yet. 15 is still young for weights, but if you are fine with doing everything above (I cannot even do all the things above anymore, they are damn tough) try light weights to prepare your body.
Rush
3/3/08 5:24:20PM
My advice would be to find out what you prefer, grappling or striking. Find your favorite one and spend about 5 years to build a base. I'm not going to list out various styles, but you do want something that is competative/combat oriented. (eg. doing 5 years of judo a recreational judo school will not help you as much as doing judo for 5 years at a competative school) Different people like different things, so you need to decide what you feel comfortable doing. Believe it or not, there are a number of guys out there that do not wrestle or do BJJ because they feel uncomfortable rolling with other guys. Some people have body types that compliment either grappling or striking. Some people may disagree with me, but I don't like the idea of learning striking and grappling at the same time (when you have no base). The weight distribution is different and in my experience, a lot of new guys get confused.

Then, after about 5 years, work on incorporating the other aspect into your game plan. You'll find that your previous training will help you learn new things much faster.

IMO, if you don't have a solid base you will become a guy that is only mediocre at all aspects and you will not likely do well. It was said by some MMA trainer that (in general) it is eaier to take a good grappler and teach them to be a decent striker than it is to take a good striker and teach them to be a good grappler. I tend to agree, but I know others may not. Take that for what it's worth

Also, eat yo vegetables, get 8 hours sleep, drink lots o' milk and stay off drug.
blackburnman04
3/4/08 12:13:58PM

Posted by CactusBob

What is your physical background? Are you fit enough to start taking classes? Are you athletic? Not too many 15 year olds are a lean 170 at 5'11'', maybe cutting a bit of weight is in order.

If you have no physical background, begin with a stretching routine every morning, at least 20 minutes. Learn what you can and can't do, and make goals of where you want to be in a year. I did the same thing, and these were my goals several years ago...
-Touch toes within the year
-Full splits within the year
-50 pushups, progressing to 100 by years end
-body bridge, or body splint for 5 minutes (i've heard both names)
-150-200 deep knee bends done slowly
Also, absolutly research a stretch before adding it as you can really hurt yourself. Once you have flexibility, martial arts is much more easily learned and practiced with less chance of sidelining injuries. Also get your cardio up, once you can run a 6 minute mile, then worry about martial arts. The good news is you are young, and could have all this before 17. There is no need to jump into fighting just yet. 15 is still young for weights, but if you are fine with doing everything above (I cannot even do all the things above anymore, they are damn tough) try light weights to prepare your body.

Thanks for the reply. I am a pretty physical person. I go for a run every morning. I used to do 40 mins of running everyday. But i noticed i was losing quite a bit of muscle. SO i switched to HIIT. And i dropped a bit of bodyfat without losing muscle mass. I am getting a body fat test in school next week, so i will tell you what the percentage is. I can also do about 50 push ups at the moment. Hoping to get up to about 150 by the end of the year. My diet is also very good. I always eat alot of lean meat, and high protein foods. And slow digesting carbs. I love milk as well. And i weight train about 4-5 times a week. I can run a 6 minute mile.

Here is a pic of me below.

Link to pic if it is not visible

http://imgplace.com/image/view/bb3e7a614b1709f736b9b154c70dfa2d
ac_gi
3/5/08 4:46:42PM
You look in great shape. Like the others have said, get into BJJ become good at it, developing your base. Your obviously an athlete, you should do great.
blackburnman04
3/5/08 5:54:54PM

Posted by ac_gi

You look in great shape. Like the others have said, get into BJJ become good at it, developing your base. Your obviously an athlete, you should do great.

Thanks for the compliment. lol. Im going to go down to the JuJitsu class next thursday, and start then. Thanks for the info