"The Truth" Vera article

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » "The Truth" Vera article
wickerman
6/21/07 5:36:04PM
I found this on another site, it's not bad...

Quote:
NEW JERSEY – Unbeaten Fil-Am UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) rising star Brandon (The Truth) Vera hasn’t seen action in the octagon lately because of a disagreement with manager Mark Dion but he’s going forward with a five-year plan to become both the heavyweight and lightheavyweight champion then retire in the Philippines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Philippine Star

NEW JERSEY – Unbeaten Fil-Am UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) rising star Brandon (The Truth) Vera hasn’t seen action in the octagon lately because of a disagreement with manager Mark Dion but he’s going forward with a five-year plan to become both the heavyweight and lightheavyweight champion then retire in the Philippines.

Vera, 29, has an 8-0 record in mixed martial arts. Last November, he stopped former heavyweight titlist Frank Mir in 69 seconds and established himself as a legitimate contender in the big money UFC stakes. Vera stormed out of his corner kicking to the body and the head. As Mir fell, he took a knee to the head and it was all over. The quick kill was set up by a newly-developed ability to switch-hit. Vera said going ambidextrous confused Mir and caused his early downfall.

Vera’s story makes every Filipino proud because although he was born in Norfolk, Virginia, he loves to flaunt his Filipino heritage. He has a tattoo on his back with the inscriptions of ancient Filipino writing called alibata/baybayin where it reads mundo (earth), hangin (wind), apoy (fire) and tubig (water) – the four elements of mother nature. His mouthpiece has the colors of the Filipino flag.

Vera’s Filipino father Ernesto, who has Spanish blood, migrated to the US at the age of 21. His biological mother was half-Italian. Stepmother Amelia, a Filipina, raised a family of 10 children immersed in Filipino culture and fluent in Tagalog.

His father worked five years in an assembly line, saved his money then opened a Chinese restaurant in 1979 with his children helping out as cooks, waiters and janitors. Vera was a counter wiper, cashier, union cutter, beef and pork cutter and cook.

Vera took up piano as a boy but growing up, his body became quite a specimen that in Grade 6, he turned to wrestling. In high school, he was nearly undefeated as a junior and senior, finishing third in the state finals.

Vera was recruited on a wrestling scholarship by Old Dominion University but dropped out after a year to join the Air Force. He was invited to participate at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs and reached the finals of the Greco-Roman trials for the 2000 Sydney Games, bowing to eventual bronze medalist Garrett Lowney.

From the Air Force, Vera worked as a telecommunications installer, insurance salesman and personal trainer. He was introduced to mixed martial arts by legend Randy Couture and began taking Brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing, Muay Thai and taekwondo lessons to integrate into his style. Lloyd Irvin, the 2002 US judo champion and 2005 Brazilian jiu-jitsu world titleholder) took Vera under his wing and developed his skills. Later, kickboxing great Rob Kaman polished his striking ability.

The 6-2, 230-pound Vera made his mixed martial arts debut in 2002, stopping Adam Rivera in the first round. He went on to score a unanimous decision over Don Richard then racked up six straight KOs over Andre Mussi, Mike Whitehead, Fabiano Scherner, Justin Eilers, Assuerio Silva and Mir in a total of less than 12 minutes. His last four bouts were sanctioned by the UFC.

Vera moved to San Diego in 2003 and hooked up with Dion’s City Boxing gym where former IBF minimumweight champion Manny Melchor, a Filipino, is a trainer.

Last year, Vera and his wife Kerry visited Manila in a sentimental homecoming. They were just married. Kerry, an American, is a pro lightweight boxer with a 1-1 record. She decisioned Alicia Gonzalez in her pro debut in Montebello, California, last year.
With his ring earnings, Vera has bought a San Diego condo where he lives with Kerry and a nearby house where a sister’s family lives. His garage has three cars, including a shiny Z28 Camaro. He plans to open a gym with partner Rudy Silva and like a typical Filipino, wants to earn some more so his parents can retire in comfort.

Vera is confident that with Irvin’s focus on grappling and Kaman’s specialty in striking, he’s got the perfect combination to go far in the UFC. But it won’t be easy getting past Couture, Gabriel Gonzaga, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Fedor Emelianenko.

“I’m not afraid of any of them,” said Vera, quoted by Roy Wallack in Real Fighter Magazine. “And that goes for Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Tito Ortiz and anyone else in the lightheavyweight division. I’m more well-rounded than all of them. I’ve still got holes in my game. The only guy who doesn’t is Fedor. But Irvin and I are working on it, fixing my flaws, hunting for his. It’s almost programmed, playing out as planned. I’ll be ready in 2008. And when Fedor slips, I’ll be there.”

He seems to be getting a little ahead of himself on the challenges....
nubby
6/21/07 7:05:33PM
I'd just like to see him fight someone in the top ten so we can see how good he really is.
Violentcuv
6/21/07 7:10:11PM
Nice read. I like Vera, but the more and more he holds out the worse it is for him in many ways.

Just wish he would fight again. I'm not sure he is quite as good as he thinks though. He is skilled no doubt, but not the best.
MrGreeny
6/21/07 7:43:52PM
I really think, it's time, that Joe Silva puts him to the test against someone from the top 10. Maybe Big Tim should meet him in his way to the title shot... I Vera will KTFO Big Tim with a vicious knee to the face...
gutoo
6/21/07 10:22:54PM
I must fight against a top to prove that he can be a top
hippysmacker
6/21/07 11:09:23PM
Funniest quote of the interview"I’ll be ready in 2008. And when Fedor slips, I’ll be there.” I like Vera as a fighter, I really do, but I think he needs to beat at least 1 top 10 fighter at either weight before he starts calling out Fedor at HVY , or even Chuck/Rampage at LHVY.
TB_The_Savior
6/22/07 12:16:10AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Funniest quote of the interview "I’ll be ready in 2008. And when Fedor slips, I’ll be there.” I like Vera as a fighter, I really do, but I think he needs to beat at least 1 top 10 fighter at either weight before he starts calling out Fedor at HVY , or even Chuck/Rampage at LHVY.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I wanna see Vera vs. Arlovski. That'd be interesting...
ac_gi
6/22/07 12:29:43AM
I'm tired of Vera's antics. I just want to see him lose.
thepunisher
6/22/07 8:39:26AM
I think he blames his manager for to much

you know he was telling him to get him some more money
wickerman
6/22/07 9:04:29AM
Does anyone know why he won't be ready until 2008?
nubby
6/22/07 2:42:59PM

Posted by wickerman

Cause he hasn't been training?
MattHughes
6/22/07 5:37:13PM

Posted by wickerman

because thats the year the said a long time ago and hes been training hard, do you know how good fedor is? do you expect someone to train for a month and get to fedors level
shawneth
6/22/07 9:36:47PM
Here's another interesting quote from Vera:

“I’m not afraid of any of them. And that goes for Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Tito Ortiz and anyone else in the lightheavyweight division. I’m more well-rounded than all of them. I’ve still got holes in my game. The only guy who doesn’t is Fedor. But Irvin and I are working on it, fixing my flaws, hunting for his. It’s almost programmed, playing out as planned. I’ll be ready in 2008. And when Fedor slips, I’ll be there.”

– Undefeated UFC heavyweight star Brandon Vera — who has not fought inside the Octagon since late 2006 because of contract and management issues — is quoted on ABS-CBNNews.com as saying that he’s a more well-rounded fighter than some of the best in the sport … except for PRIDE FC Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emelianenko.

http://ufcmania.com/2007/06/21/ufc-quick-quote-vera-says-ill-be-ready-in-2008/