POLL: What should be the true UFC 79 MAIN EVENT?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » POLL: What should be the true UFC 79 MAIN EVENT?
Next Page »
POLL: Which should be the last live fight on the PPV?
Chuck VS Wandy 40% (34)
Serra VS Hughes 60% (51)
CornishMMA
11/19/07 10:52:59AM
One is a BIG title fight that has grudge match goodness added in as well as long term build up on TUF6 as well

The other fight has been built up for years and while both fighters are maybe past their best or at least coming off bad results

So ................ what do they have as the last fight on the ppv?????

I, thinking it will be the Chuck Wandy fight as i know at UFC 48 they had the Kimo Shamrock fight last and the title fight before it, BUT this time its a bigger title fight so maybe they will have the Serra Hughes fight last?????
stock
11/19/07 10:55:47AM
Personally, I am more excited to see the Silva/Liddell fight. Hell, I am more excited to see RTS fight than the Hughes/Serra fight too.

However, a title fight is probably more deserving for the main event.
rabbit915
11/19/07 10:59:48AM
I want to see the Serra/Hughes fight more because i want to see Serra finally get the respect he deserves.
NatedawgThaM
11/19/07 11:55:20AM
Hughes/Serra easily...

The Titles on the line. They had a TUF with them coaching. There hyping it up like crazy. Yeah it DEFINITLY won't b exciting. I see LNP, but it's most deserving as the Main Event.

Both Wandy & Chuck lost there last two fights. Enough said. Winners deserve more hype then losers. These are two fighting past there prime IMO. Yeah you can say they had quality losses but I still think this is do or die for either. Whoever leaves NEEDS to retire. Even if Wandy loses which would be a freakin Miracle to me. I think he needs to retire. Too many blows to the face, and if you lose to Chuck right now THATS HORRIBLE. He's bearly staying in my top 10. Everyone above him has been way more productive then has been RECENT. He's only #9 or 10 in my mind because he beat Tito and since Tito beats anybody who's not champ I guess that deserves some credit...

tuvok500
11/19/07 12:00:08PM
I want to see Serra being destroy in front of the maximum peoples possible, so the main event is the place !!!

keith-hackney1
11/19/07 12:10:17PM
i wanna see serra and hughes as main event because they are fighting for a title.
To hell with vanderlei vs chuck, weve all seen chuck go down twice in his last two fights, we dont want to see him go down in a main event again !!! Vanderlei will definately walk away with ko of the night in under 1 minute !!!!! Then you'll all be in for a main event treat as serra picks apart hughes !!!!!
DCRage
11/19/07 12:21:13PM
Hughes-Serra. Not just because I want Hughes to choke Serra out but because it's a title fight and the culmination of TUF 6. Now if Liddell-Silva was for the LHW Title (meaning Chuck hadn't yet lost it) I would've chosen that, but that still should easily be the penultimate fight on the card.
kevietre
11/19/07 12:27:18PM
To me it doesn't matter what order the fights are in as long as they happen. This is going to be the best card of the year for the UFC.
Kainlock
11/19/07 12:54:24PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Hughes/Serra easily...

The Titles on the line. They had a TUF with them coaching. There hyping it up like crazy. Yeah it DEFINITLY won't b exciting. I see LNP, but it's most deserving as the Main Event.

Both Wandy & Chuck lost there last two fights. Enough said. Winners deserve more hype then losers. These are two fighting past there prime IMO. Yeah you can say they had quality losses but I still think this is do or die for either. Whoever leaves NEEDS to retire. Even if Wandy loses which would be a freakin Miracle to me. I think he needs to retire. Too many blows to the face, and if you lose to Chuck right now THATS HORRIBLE. He's bearly staying in my top 10. Everyone above him has been way more productive then has been RECENT. He's only #9 or 10 in my mind because he beat Tito and since Tito beats anybody who's not champ I guess that deserves some credit...

that says it all right there!!
cowcatcher
11/19/07 1:09:31PM
maybe with mma growing so fast there are those of us that are "old school" fans and as such would rather see liddel and wandy instead of serra and hughes. ive been waiting for this fight for several years now and even though its lost some luster, its still the fight id like to see most.(although randy and fedor has moved right up there) i know a title is on the line in the hughes serra fight and thats a big deal, but in the broader scope of things chuck/wandy means a lot more to mma history. just over a year ago everyone on the planet that was a fan of MMA was chomping at the bit to see chuck and wandy, whereas serra was on a comeback show just for a chance to be in the ufc again. two losses in a row might mean "this guy sucks", or "he should retire" to fairweather fans, but not to me, and i cant wait to see the dream match ive been waiting years for, even moreso than a WW title fight hyped by a TV series. the fact is the title fight will probably be the last fight because A) its a title match, and B) its a 5 rounder and easier to schedule at the end of the night rather than making chuck and wandy sit in the lockerroom until their fight time if the match ends in rd 1, but ill gladly be watching both ill just care about the legends clashing more than the fight for the strap.
tberg420
11/19/07 1:20:07PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

To hell with vanderlei vs chuck, weve all seen chuck go down twice in his last two fights, we dont want to see him go down in a main event again !!! Vanderlei will definately walk away with ko of the night in under 1 minute !!!!! Then you'll all be in for a main event treat as serra picks apart hughes !!!!!

Hasn't Wanderlei lost his last two fights as well?
xchickox
11/19/07 1:22:32PM
i think it should the serra vs hughes fight as its for the title
Kastro
11/19/07 1:30:42PM
For me it is Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva because it has been anticipated for so many years, and both guys love to go out and bang its also the Axe Murderer's octagon debut so how can I not be excited?

Im not really looking forward to Serra/Hughes I predict its going to be a lengthy fight that will take place mostly on the ground and will most likely go to a decision or later round submission for Hughes... still interested in seeing who will win and if Serra is the real deal or not after dismantling GSP the way he did..

To say the truth, I am looking forward to Sokodjou/Machida just as much as Liddell/Wandy... Sokodjou is sorta like the Pride version of Houston Alexander except Sokodjou has knocked out better opponents in Little Nog and Ricardo Arona... I love Sokodjou's aggressive style and he is (unlike Houston) a complete fighter with great ground skills, amazing standup (high kicks, knee's, devestating strikes), and killer judo throws and he also comes into every fight in amazing shape and he is extremely strong... Machida is undefeated, and has yet to prove himself against someone like Sokodjou I really dont know whats going to happen in this fight but what I do know is that its going to be very exciting and somebody is going to get KTFO'd badly...

UFC 79 is perhaps one of the best UFC cards IMO...
hippysmacker
11/19/07 1:52:23PM

Posted by cowcatcher

maybe with mma growing so fast there are those of us that are "old school" fans and as such would rather see liddel and wandy instead of serra and hughes. ive been waiting for this fight for several years now and even though its lost some luster, its still the fight id like to see most.(although randy and fedor has moved right up there) i know a title is on the line in the hughes serra fight and thats a big deal, but in the broader scope of things chuck/wandy means a lot more to mma history. just over a year ago everyone on the planet that was a fan of MMA was chomping at the bit to see chuck and wandy, whereas serra was on a comeback show just for a chance to be in the ufc again. two losses in a row might mean "this guy sucks", or "he should retire" to fairweather fans, but not to me, and i cant wait to see the dream match ive been waiting years for, even moreso than a WW title fight hyped by a TV series. the fact is the title fight will probably be the last fight because A) its a title match, and B) its a 5 rounder and easier to schedule at the end of the night rather than making chuck and wandy sit in the lockerroom until their fight time if the match ends in rd 1, but ill gladly be watching both ill just care about the legends clashing more than the fight for the strap.

I'm with the you. I have read or participated in probably a 1000 Wandy vs Chuck threads. I want to see it , and never have to read about the hypothetical again. We all wish this fight happened about 2-4 years ago, but it's still at the top of my dream match list. The funny thing is no matter who loses, the fans of the other guy will claim they would have won if the fight had taken place back in the day. They theoretically they may be right, but I would hope they wouldn't make a big deal out of it, as I think it's highly unlikely they completely change styles . I hope they both fight the same way they always have. If this becomes a grappling match, I will be disappointed. I think Wandys style has always been bad against Chucks style. While it would help him to adapt to get a win. I will be kind of bummed if one or the other shoots without cause. it's one thing to clinch to set up the take down or get a take down to recover when your rocked. It's another if they are trading jabs and one shoots from outside. Wandy has always used the clinch well for control and knees, and I beleive it is still one of his stronger attributes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him clinch some. Chuck has rarely employed this tactic since he started considering himself a striker. Chuck also needs to go back to throwing more than just his hands. His last 4 fights he has been predominantly just a puncher, and I beleive it's part of the reason he lost to Jardine. I want to see them stand and trade predominantly. If this happens we will still get to see the match we have been waiting for. Hughes/Serra is compelling ,and it would be a good headliner of a PPV IMO, but Chuck /Wandy has been a fight I've been waiting for a long time.
JustizzleFoShizzle
11/19/07 2:01:55PM
The title match has to be the main event, Chuck vs. Wandy will be good but it's not gonna be more than three rounds, where Serra Hughes could be five rounds. You gotta put that last
DJDark41
11/19/07 2:16:06PM
If Chuck/Wandy would've happened 2 or 3 years ago, it would have eclipsed any fight and been an instant main event. But now, they are both on a downward slope of sorts and its just two old guys brawling. In my eyes Serra/Hughes is a much more interesting fight, and although I am really looking forward to the slugfest that will be Chuck vs Wandy, Serra vs Hughes should be the main event.
keith-hackney1
11/19/07 3:52:18PM

Posted by tberg420

Posted by keith-hackney1

Hasn't Wanderlei lost his last two fights as well?

yes he has, but silva lost to crocop at heavyweight and dan henderson who imo would wipe the floor with liddell. Liddell has been stripped of his title by being embarasingly ko'd in under 3 minutes by rampage after holding the belt for all that time, then he gets rocked and out struck by jardine who was arranged to fight liddell in order for chuck to win.
vanderlei is still in the top 5 of lhw's and will dominate liddell, ko in round one.
Scott_Revels
11/19/07 4:06:12PM
Just like how Chuck/Keith was the main event, when everyone wanted to see Forrest/Shogun more, Serra/Hughes being that it is a title shot, and it has huge implications in that either Serra's reign will be over, or Serra will knock another guy out and Hughes will cry, because he hates Serra, and to be beaten by him, is world shattering.
loller90278
11/19/07 4:13:43PM

Posted by Kastro

For me it is Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva because it has been anticipated for so many years, and both guys love to go out and bang its also the Axe Murderer's octagon debut so how can I not be excited?

Im not really looking forward to Serra/Hughes I predict its going to be a lengthy fight that will take place mostly on the ground and will most likely go to a decision or later round submission for Hughes... still interested in seeing who will win and if Serra is the real deal or not after dismantling GSP the way he did..

To say the truth, I am looking forward to Sokodjou/Machida just as much as Liddell/Wandy... Sokodjou is sorta like the Pride version of Houston Alexander except Sokodjou has knocked out better opponents in Little Nog and Ricardo Arona... I love Sokodjou's aggressive style and he is (unlike Houston) a complete fighter with great ground skills, amazing standup (high kicks, knee's, devestating strikes), and killer judo throws and he also comes into every fight in amazing shape and he is extremely strong... Machida is undefeated, and has yet to prove himself against someone like Sokodjou I really dont know whats going to happen in this fight but what I do know is that its going to be very exciting and somebody is going to get KTFO'd badly...

i agree 100% man... your posts are usually the most similar to what im thinking
Crisis167
11/19/07 4:16:57PM
I t hink the question for this thread should be... Who is Going to Get the PPV Sales!

Chuck has a great contract with UFC, and like Couture did with Gonzaga, I think he will be the fighter who earns money from every ppv show sold... Also to me it looks like the UFC is promoting Chuck and Wandy's fight much Bigger....

I'm pretty sure that Chuck is the only one to get the ppv bonus, and UFC 79 is looking to be on its way into the record books

Results= One Very Iced out IceMan.
Pitbull09
11/19/07 4:29:19PM
Serra/Hughes. Title fights always earn main event. Chuck/Wandy shouldnt at all as they both have losing streaks
Pitbull09
11/19/07 4:34:14PM

Posted by Kastro

I would compare Sokodjou to Andre way more than Houston Alexander. At least the old AA that use to go all out. Alexander doesnt seem to peak close to either of them imo
MattHughesFan
11/19/07 5:35:15PM
Should definitely be Serra/Hughes. Maybe if Chuck/Wandy happened a few years ago i could see it but the title deserves more attention, But hey if they could put Hughes/GSP for the welterweight title on the back burner for Tito Ortiz VS Patrick Cote i could definitely see Hughes/Serra being the put on the back burner for Chuck/Wandy. The only good thing about Chuck/Wandy possibly being The main event is that we get to see Hughes/Serra that much sooner.
jocksmall
11/19/07 7:48:50PM

Posted by stock

Personally, I am more excited to see the Silva/Liddell fight. Hell, I am more excited to see RTS fight than the Hughes/Serra fight too.

However, a title fight is probably more deserving for the main event.

i agree i also am looking foward to chuck vs wandy but i believe the ufc will position the hughes vs serra fight last
Khaos
11/20/07 6:10:58AM
I think Hughes-Serra should be the main event

I'm looking forward to Silva-Liddell

But I'm personally more excited about Serra-Hughes
CornishMMA
11/20/07 7:34:30AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Serra/Hughes. Title fights always earn main event. Chuck/Wandy shouldnt at all as they both have losing streaks

Nope im pretty 99% sure that UFC 48 had it the other way around, thats the reason i thought id ask, im thinking thar Dana will want the LHW fight last but maybe it will be the title fight, whatever which way round they are going to be great fights

I at anyone who says the serra hughes fight will be boring, you could not be more wrong people! it will be very exciting, serra could ko him or at least hurt him standing, and maybe sprawl well and keep it there, or when it gets to the ground there will be sub attempts mixed into hughes GnP, its going to be a great fight and i cant see it going all 5 rds tbh
nubby
11/20/07 11:09:52AM
For me the Main event is Liddell and Silva. The fight has been a long time coming and to be frank I don't really like Matt Serra or Hughes. I hope Rush beats them both into retirement.
AchillesHeel
11/20/07 11:18:29AM
I voted for Hughes-Serra, largely just because it's a title fight. I know there's some prestige in being named The Main Event, but I care less and less with every event. Knowledgeable fans want to see every fight on the card, and the knuckleheads who won't even turn their heads to the television screen until the Main Event starts are losing out.

Posted by nubby

[...]I don't really like Matt Serra or Hughes. I hope Rush beats them both into retirement.

Actually, I hope he beats them into other divisions. I'd like to see Serra back at 155, where I think he'd murder a lot of guys, and Hughes give 185 a shot while he still has some gas in the tank.
prozacnation1978
11/20/07 12:21:08PM
good question,

i was thinking about this the other day
hughes vs serra
lidell vs silva

i want to see both of them badly more than the other main events from the last couple cards

u would think that the title will be the last fight of the night but i really think that lidell will be the last fight.
thepunisher
11/20/07 3:35:00PM
Wand and Chuck
Pages: [1] 2