Who would give BJ less trouble

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who would give BJ less trouble
MFOTHER
8/27/08 1:30:28AM
thiago or diego . If BJ pulls the W on Gsp, who would he have a better chance defending against. ( i figure he would have to defend LW first, and assuming after the months it takes for him to heal/prepare they are still top of the division) who would he have less of a problem with.

I say sanchez is the better fight for him....

or...who in 10-12 months time could be at the top of 170 to face him? Kos? karo if he doe well at 88 and beyond? fitch after a comeback...... even hughes assuming he beats serra.i dont think he would deserve it, but If he didnt retire it'd be a big fight to market....the rubber match years later again for the belt .....
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/27/08 1:40:43AM
i think Kos deserves the shot at bj if he were to win & defend the 170 belt

but i think alves would give him more probs betweeen alves & diego

but diego's tenacity & heart cant be measured & could easily make for a harder fight for bj
mrkennedy
8/27/08 3:43:21AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i think Kos deserves the shot at bj if he were to win & defend the 170 belt

but i think alves would give him more probs betweeen alves & diego

but diego's tenacity & heart cant be measured & could easily make for a harder fight for bj

agree but diego dont deserve the title shot(imo)
jocka
8/27/08 6:07:36AM
I think Alves would give him more problem, he has good stand up plus if he a huge 170 with a lot of power. And am pretty sure that Bj would be happy to stand up with Alves.
ToeZup
8/27/08 9:09:39AM
I think Diego would give BJ more trouble. BJ does well against strikers but Diego is a great grappler and I think he could out muscle BJ in the clinch. In the end BJ is good everywhere so it's tough to guess what would happen. Thiago would stand with BJ which would be pretty even so he might try to take it to the ground and we know that's not good against BJ. I'm down to see either guy go at him.
Wolfenstein
8/27/08 9:12:25AM
I agree that Diego would be the better matchup for Penn. Diego doesn't cut much weight so there wouldn't be a big size differential.

Thiago would be a tough match because there would be a huge size differential since Alves cuts from 200. I don't think he could stand with Alves and because of the size differential I'm not sure he could take him down. Alves has some of the best leg kicks in MMA and I think it would really slow down BJ. It's not that Alves is a better fighter, but stylistically it's a tough matchup.
gsquat
8/27/08 11:05:04AM

Posted by ToeZup

I think Diego would give BJ more trouble. BJ does well against strikers but Diego is a great grappler and I think he could out muscle BJ in the clinch. In the end BJ is good everywhere so it's tough to guess what would happen. Thiago would stand with BJ which would be pretty even so he might try to take it to the ground and we know that's not good against BJ. I'm down to see either guy go at him.

I agree. BJ would fare better against Thiago because he's a little more one dimensional that Diego. But this is also why I have Diego beating Thiago. However, I feel BJ would beat them both. Thiago via sub, and Diego via UD.
wiggum
8/27/08 11:14:57AM
i agree that kos deserves the shot if peen wins....hes the true number one contender, its just that he already lost to gsp a year ago so he has to work his way back up.....i think diego would be the tougher test....alves has a bjj black belt, but hes not on penns level, and penn just cant get knocked out apperently, or even dropped for that matter.....i think penn would sub alves.....sanchez would hang better and maybe last a little longer, but in the end, is style of "wildness" would not work with penn and make it easy for penn to capitalize on a mistake and sub him
AftaabehEshk
8/28/08 1:26:08PM
BJ would make Thiago look horrible. I dont get people saying Diego is the easier fight. Thiago has more power, so what. BJ Penn and all the top 10 pound for pound fighters, what do they have in common. Its blatantly obvious. Amazingly obvious. Its their versatility. Why would they have a problem with a guy who is great at one thing, but only so so at others. Cant you see the tougher fight for him is Diego. Cause he's much more versatile than Alves. That's why he'll probably beat Alves and that's why he would give BJ more trouble. He has a chance if the fight goes in different places.
JimiMak
8/28/08 5:15:25PM
There's not really any tough fights for him at LW
prozacnation1978
8/30/08 10:45:34AM
if bj wins i think kos might give him trouble
i still think kos is one win away
if thiago wins against diego or pretty much loser of the match gets kos next
Jackelope
8/30/08 12:35:42PM
Thiago, cuz he has more of a puncher's chance. Which is about the only way either of these guys are going to beat BJ.
copcopps
8/30/08 1:05:57PM
I would actually like to see Fitch take on Penn.

I kinda warmed up to BJ in the last few days. He seems like a cool gut plus he has the best accent
Kastro
9/1/08 7:05:24PM
The bigger, stronger, more heavy-handed Alves would pose more of a threat... BJ would manhandle Diego Sanchez and finish him probably late in the 1st or early in the 2nd round...

BJ has his hands full with GSP so lets not look past that just yet...
Aether
9/1/08 8:11:17PM

Posted by AftaabehEshk

BJ would make Thiago look horrible. I dont get people saying Diego is the easier fight. Thiago has more power, so what. BJ Penn and all the top 10 pound for pound fighters, what do they have in common. Its blatantly obvious. Amazingly obvious. Its their versatility. Why would they have a problem with a guy who is great at one thing, but only so so at others. Cant you see the tougher fight for him is Diego. Cause he's much more versatile than Alves. That's why he'll probably beat Alves and that's why he would give BJ more trouble. He has a chance if the fight goes in different places.

That logic doesn't necessarily work as well as it appears to on the surface. It's true that all of the great fighters have versatility, but that's also why someone who is well rounded but not nearly as good at anything actually poses less of a threat than a person with one major strength. Diego is well rounded, but BJ is much better than him at everything, as a result he's not dangerous to BJ in ANY position. Thiago might be less versatile, but he's so much more dangerous in one area that that one advantage puts him in a better position to win than Diego.

Thinking logically I can't see a single area where Diego could outskill BJ. With Thiago it's conceivable that BJ would lose if the fight stayed standing. I would still put my money on BJ, but there's an obvious possibility for Thiago to win in a particular way. Diego doesn't really have any position where he has a reasonable chance to win.
bls1919
9/1/08 8:14:30PM
I would say that Thiago has the better chance at beating BJ. Much stronger, heavier handed, and has a good TD defense. Thats why i have him dismanteling Diego UFC 90. Diego is putting a bit too much faith in his boxing and his fight with Alves will prove it.