Trivia

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Trivia
migo
3/15/07 5:57:45AM
Since this is popular these days:

1) Officially Chris Brennan lost to Marcelo Garcia by Armbar in ADCC 2005. What really happened?

2) Why did Todd Hays never face Rickson Gracie?

3) What year was the first professional MMA event?

4) What MMA fight in Japan is not on Royce Gracie's record?

5) Which two fighters had a hockey fight?

6) Who is "The Prince of Leglocks"?

7) Who took a fight for $1 because he really wanted to beat his opponent's ass?

8) Who turned down a high profile fight to fight on a charity card for free?

9) Who got blinded because of pyrotechnics?

10) Which fighter was described in an interview with his opponent as having lizard skin?

11) Which fighter won in Smackgirl by taking advantage of the 30 second ground rule by repeatedly pulling guard and not worrying about getting passed?

12) Name an undefeated female MMA fighter who has fought men.

13) What did Tank say Ken Shamrock never accomplished?

14) Which illegal move was shown on IFL Battleground 1?

15) Why did Royce Gracie hold onto his choke on Gordeau extra long? (both reasons)

16) True or False: Before deciding on the octagon, Rorion Gracie and Art Davie considered an alligator pit around the fighters.

17) Which fighter stripped naked to protest a judges decision?

18) Who is the most active fighter who has also competed in the UFC?

19) Name one fighter other than Tito Ortiz who has had an entrance song made specifically for him and name the song.

20) Who beat who essentially twice in one night?

21) Which UFC fighter won a decision on a fight he asked for a time out in?

22) Which UFC fighter has the most losses?

23) Which fighter innovatively got around the no eyegouging rule to win fights?

24) Which fighter had his neck broken in a UFC title match?

25) True or False: Wanderlei Silva used steroids.

26) Name two fighters who have won by smothering their opponents.

27) Name two fighters whose losses were contributed to by slipping on the decals.

28) According to Bas Rutten, which submission hold doesn't work?

29) Name two fighters to have their arms broken by submissions.

30) Name a fighter who lost his K-1 debut by DQ.

Obviously, PM answers.
madmarck
3/15/07 7:34:52AM
whoops meant to PM these.
richieb19
3/15/07 7:02:42PM
PM sent
migo
3/17/07 7:16:38PM
Keep the responses coming, even if you only know a couple answers. So far everyone who has responded has thought of at least one example I hadn't thought of when I made the quiz so it'll be good to get a few more.
Manfred
3/18/07 5:01:25PM
PM is in
(I had to find IFL Battleground first)
migo
3/21/07 2:12:40AM
OK, here are the answers. Couple of them in retrospect can't count because people interpreted them differently and one I was misinformed.

1) Officially Chris Brennan lost to Marcelo Garcia by Armbar in ADCC 2005. What really happened?

Seperated rib.

2) Why did Todd Hays never face Rickson Gracie?

Shoulder injury, didn't want to give Rickson essentially a free semi-final fight so he let someone else take it. Props to him for not pulling a Fujita and having the corner throw the towel in 2 seconds into the match.

3) What year was the first professional MMA event?

This one's essentially null. I was thinking event as holding a number of fighters instead of just one. I was thinking of Shooto in 1990, before that Shooto to my knowledge was an amateur event. Vale Tudo counts too I guess, I'm quite certain that Rickson/Zulu 1 and 2 were not the first VT matches though. Ali/Inoki barely counted as MMA since the rules were completely nerfed and it was originally supposed to be a shoot. Helio/Kimura was a Judo/JJ match, no striking.

4) What MMA fight in Japan is not on Royce Gracie's record?

Bobby Ologun (he won, I'm guessing it was an exhibition match). First fight with Yoshida wasn't MMA as there was no striking to the head standing or on the ground period.

5) Which two fighters had a hockey fight?

Frye/Takayama was the most hockeyish.

6) Who is "The Prince of Leglocks"?

Robert Ferguson, he gave himself that nick name and talked a lot of crap on the UG (like Phil Baroni), but ended up being unable to back it up.

7) Who took a fight for $1 because he really wanted to beat his opponent's ass?

Hermes Franca vs Manny Reyes Jr. Got some other answers but they seemed like guesses to me and I couldn't verify them. If there's another one like that you're sure about post it.

8) Who turned down a high profile fight to fight on a charity card for free?

Wes Sims

9) Who got blinded because of pyrotechnics?

Johil De Oliveira in Pride, seriously burned because of an accident.

10) Which fighter was described in an interview with his opponent as having lizard skin?

Dan Henderson in an interview with Wanderlei Silva

11) Which fighter won in Smackgirl by taking advantage of the 30 second ground rule by repeatedly pulling guard and not worrying about getting passed?

Laura D'Auguste

12) Name an undefeated female MMA fighter who has fought men.

Zee Vjesalicu. Also got an answer on Megumi Fuji, couldn't find anything about it, I know Megumi Yabushita fought Dojonjonosuke Mishima but she's 7-7.

13) What did Tank say Ken Shamrock never accomplished?

Make it to the finals in a UFC tournament.

14) Which illegal move was shown on IFL Battleground 1?

I was thinking the upkick to Dennis Hallman, but holding ropes and punching after the bell were also mentioned. Incidentally grabbing the ropes/fence has got to be the most common offense.

15) Why did Royce Gracie hold onto his choke on Gordeau extra long? (both reasons)

Gordeau bit his ear and the ref didn't see Shamrock tap.

16) True or False: Before deciding on the octagon, Rorion Gracie and Art Davie considered an alligator pit around the fighters.

True

17) Which fighter stripped naked to protest a judges decision?

Jeff Monson

18) Who is the most active fighter who has also competed in the UFC?

Travis Fulton, he's got over 200 fights on his record, he was in the UFC once.

19) Name one fighter other than Tito Ortiz who has had an entrance song made specifically for him and name the song.

I was thinking Ricardo Arona with Guerrero, but also got Liddell (Ice, Ice Baby variation) and Rampage (Rampage) answers. Didn't know about those.

20) Who beat who essentially twice in one night?

Murilo Bustamante over Matt Lindland. Also got Igor Vovchanchyn over Bob Schrijber, didn't know about that one. Sakuraba lost to Silveira first, then beat him so that doesn't count.

21) Which UFC fighter won a decision on a fight he asked for a time out in?

Jon Fitch

22) Which UFC fighter has the most losses?

Travis Fulton

23) Which fighter innovatively got around the no eyegouging rule to win fights?

Mark Kerr and Chris Haseman both with Chin to Eye.

24) Which fighter had his neck broken in a UFC title match?

This one I misread it somewhere. Was thinking it was Igor Zinoviev but it was actually his collar bone. Got a couple Pat Miletitch answers, I'd like to hear the story behind this.

25) True or False: Wanderlei Silva used steroids.

True, he admitted it in an interview (not illegal in Brazil or Japan so not surprising)

26) Name two fighters who have won by smothering their opponents.

Ricco Rodriguez and Manny Yarborough, Also got a Fred Floyd answer, never knew about him.

27) Name two fighters whose losses were contributed to by slipping on the decals.

So many of these. Randy, Cro Cop, Barnett, Shamrock,

28) According to Bas Rutten, which submission hold doesn't work?

I was thinking ankle lock. Also got forearm choke and can opener answers. Never heard him say that, I find the can opener doubtful but I haven't read every Bas interview or heard every one of his commentaries.

29) Name two fighters to have their arms broken by submissions.

Renzo Gracie, Keith Wisnewski, Tim Sylvia, Shungo Oyama

30) Name a fighter who lost his K-1 debut by DQ.

Bob Sapp, Francois Botha
Svartorm
3/21/07 5:16:54AM

Posted by migo

Bobby Ologun (he won, I'm guessing it was an exhibition match). First fight with Yoshida wasn't MMA as there was no striking to the head standing or on the ground period.

Ricco Rodriguez and Manny Yarborough, Also got a Fred Floyd answer, never knew about him.

Ok, I saw the first Yoshida vs Royce match from a download with Japanese announcers, so I was pretty much lost. Didn't know about the special rules.

As for Fred Floyd, I only knew he existed because he fought on IFC Kiev and helped launch the career of one Igor Vochancyn, who proceeded to punch and knee Floyds balls into his sternum for 13 minutes. Igor also broke Paul Varleans cheek within five seconds of their fight on the same card.
migo
3/21/07 6:16:19AM
Just realised I had an unclear "he" - Royce won the match incase there was any confusion.
Manfred
3/21/07 9:44:04AM
3. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. (not trying to be Jonny Obvious) but Judo vs. JJ IS MMA. Clash of styles. Pancrase only allowed open palm strikes, yet it's considered to be MMA. Even though punches weren't allowed. It's a funny technicality. Many feel the first "NHB" fight was Rickson/Zulu

24. I guessed Militech. The story is that he's had a messed up neck for a long time. That's why I (and others probably) put him down.

28. I remember Bas saying it was such an easy sub to get out of. Didn't exactly say it didn't work. I supposed it does if you don't know the defense. But it was the closest thing I could think of.

Pretty deep trivia. If you didn't get too many replies, I was probably too long or too hard for some people. I only answered because you'd answered mine and took the time to create, research and type it all out.
migo
3/22/07 12:32:42AM

Posted by Manfred

3. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. (not trying to be Jonny Obvious) but Judo vs. JJ IS MMA. Clash of styles. Pancrase only allowed open palm strikes, yet it's considered to be MMA. Even though punches weren't allowed. It's a funny technicality. Many feel the first "NHB" fight was Rickson/Zulu

Judo vs JJ under JJ rules isn't MMA. It's not MMA when Rhadi Ferguson competes in Abu Dhabi. Helio Gracie/Waldemar Santana happened before Rickson/Zulu. No way Rickson/Zulu was the first any way you look at it.

24. I guessed Militech. The story is that he's had a messed up neck for a long time. That's why I (and others probably) put him down.

Yeah, that makes sense.

28. I remember Bas saying it was such an easy sub to get out of. Didn't exactly say it didn't work. I supposed it does if you don't know the defense. But it was the closest thing I could think of.

Yeah, open your guard and it doesn't work anymore. His point with the ankle lock is it just causes pain.

Pretty deep trivia. If you didn't get too many replies, I was probably too long or too hard for some people. I only answered because you'd answered mine and took the time to create, research and type it all out.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses (all 4 of them :D) It's interesting comparing the different trivia that people have. If we pool knowledge it gets pretty big.
Svartorm
3/23/07 2:59:15AM
Do you know which ankle lock he was talking about? I don't recall hearing him say that during a match, but ankle lock is used as a blanket term, and was wondering which one he meant.
mrsumo
3/23/07 3:57:05AM
The bas one is the achilles lock. He always says about it, it's only pain and only works in practice.
Svartorm
3/23/07 4:37:25AM
Errr........ok Bas.