Triva - Video Games (mostly classic gaming) - Answers are posted

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Triva - Video Games (mostly classic gaming) - Answers are posted
Rush
3/15/08 10:22:17PM
PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS

Here are some trivia questions based on mostly classic games. I understand that there are some younger gamers on here that will not know these. So...

You may use any and all means of finding the answers to these questions

However, to make it interesting and fair, I am offering 2 points for each correct answer, but if you answer a question incorrectly, you will have 1 point deducted from your score. Leaving a question blank or answering a bonus question incorrectly will incur no penalty.

You only get one chance to send in your answers, which are to be sent to me by PM. Do not post them in the thread please.

There are 18 questions total for a possible 36 points and also 2 bonus points.

The top three scores gets props.

Enjoy
Rush
3/15/08 10:24:10PM
1) How many dino coins did you need in Super Mario World to get a free life?

2) What is Konami?s famous password for extra lives?

3) What is the name of the main character in the Strider series?

4) What was the original name given to Nintendo?s 32-bit prototype system?

5) How many kilobytes of memory would it take to store the original SNES version of Street Fighter II?

6) In Halo (part I) was is the worst (least effective) weapon to use against the flood?

7) What system was the first metal gear game featured?

8) Was the Turbo Grafx 16 game system a 8-bit or 16-bit system?

9) What was the largest HuCard game (in memory) for the Turbo Grafx 16 (PC-Engine)? bonus point for saying how big it was.

10) What was the most powerful sword you could equip Cecil in the SNES version of Final Fantasy II?

11) What fraction of the energy bar did an unblocked fireball take away in the original Street Fighter game?

12) In the game River City Ransom, ladies would hit you with their purses. What did they carry around in their purse?

13) In the Commodore 64 game "Impossible Mission" what was the famous opening line when you started a new game?

14) In Starcraft, what were the homeworlds of the Zerg and Protoss?

15) In the Double Dragon games, what were the names of the large muscular enemies?

16) In the game Dracula X for the Sony Playstation 1, what are the two characters you can play? bonus point, what is special about one of the character's names? edit: I now realize that I made a mistake. Due to the discrepancies between the Japanese, English and English PS portable versions. There are actually three characters. So any two of the three characters will get you two points.

17) How many buttons are there on a standard X-box 360 controller. Button is defined as something you need to push straight down to activate.

18) Was is the gender of Samus?

Rich78 - 21pts - 8pts for incorrect answers = 13pts
Shawn91111 - 13 pts - 9 points for incorrect answers = 4pts
DoTheMMAth - 12 pts - 5pts for incorrect answers = 7 pts
Svartorm - 10pts - 5pts for incorrect answers = 5pts
mmadb - 4pts - 4pts for incorrect answers = 0pts
jiujitsufreak74 - 22pts - 2pts for incorrect answers = 20pts
babalu2720
3/15/08 10:31:39PM
Way too old school for me to even try, though I do know the last one about Samus
BlazinSaddle
3/15/08 11:01:48PM
ive been playing video games since regular nintendo and original sega but your questions are too detailed and theres plenty of games besides the ones you played and picked questions for, i can answer about 5 or 6 of these
casey64
3/15/08 11:14:30PM
I barley know 3 of them to old school for me
Rush
3/16/08 12:17:52AM
Wow, I put a few tough ones in there, but most of these were common knowledge in my day.

Heck, I'm sure a good number of these are answered on wikipedia.
Rush
3/16/08 10:44:12AM
ok, since I haven't gotten any responses yet, I will change the rule. You don't need 70% or more to get props. You just need to be in the top three highest scores.
Shawn91111
3/16/08 9:46:35PM
Man those were tough even searching the net for the past hour or so. I think I didnt answer 3 Q's.
Rush
3/16/08 11:59:17PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Man those were tough even searching the net for the past hour or so. I think I didnt answer 3 Q's.

You did well and got a couple that really impressed me.

Rush
3/17/08 1:49:15PM
Scores are updated. -- I forgot to make the point deductions.

mmadb
3/18/08 9:16:29AM
I'm confident in about 5 of my answers. Most of the rest I pulled out of my arse.
Rush
3/18/08 9:59:23AM

Posted by mmadb

I'm confident in about 5 of my answers. Most of the rest I pulled out of my arse.

Yeah, I only counted the serious ones as "real' answers.

You didn't do well, but you can revel in the fact that you are the only one that got Q 17 correct so far.
Rush
3/18/08 10:12:28AM
One more update. I want to post the answers to these tomorrow night (Wed. just before midnight) so if you want to get your answers in, do so today or tomorrow.

There are still some questions that nobody has gotten correct so far

1, 4, 5, 6, 9 (although the bonus was correct) and 11

How can you know all this obscure MMA triva, but not classic game triva..... YES that's right I'm calling you out bitches!!!!
Shawn91111
3/19/08 12:34:57AM

Posted by Rush

One more update. I want to post the answers to these tomorrow night (Wed. just before midnight) so if you want to get your answers in, do so today or tomorrow.

There are still some questions that nobody has gotten correct so far

1, 4, 5, 6, 9 (although the bonus was correct) and 11

How can you know all this obscure MMA triva, but not classic game triva..... YES that's right I'm calling you out bitches!!!!

Id like to know what #4 was, I really thought I had that one and read the article that had the name in.
Ordep
3/19/08 12:43:23AM

one more question....

What's the only game better than FFVII ?

Answer :

nuff said
Rush
3/19/08 9:51:25AM

Posted by Ordep

one more question....

What's the only game better than FFVII ?

Answer :

nuff said

Not the only game, but a great game nonetheless.

Answes are being posted tonight.
mmadb
3/19/08 3:43:39PM
Well, I should have actually read the instructions. I answered everything, making stuff up for half of the time cause what's the harm lol. That and I answered everything off the top off my head without knowing I was allowed to actually look this crap up. Considering that I don't think I did so bad anymore.

I better have got #17 right, I wrote a bloody essay response.
Rush
3/19/08 3:58:33PM
Don't worry man, this trivia turned out a lot harder than I expected. I didn't research the questions when I made them. I just took 5-10 min and thought of them up from my memory. That's why I didn't think they were necessarily hard. I figured if I could remember this stuff after all these years, then others should get at least half of them from memory and the rest can be researched.

I guess I was wrong.

When I post the answers (anybody) LMK if they ring a bell or not.
jiujitsufreak74
3/19/08 5:33:02PM
PM sent

Posted by mmadb
I better have got #17 right, I wrote a bloody essay response.

i did the same thing
Rush
3/19/08 10:03:38PM
1) How many dino coins did you need in Super Mario World to get a free life?
Answer – Five
These are the dino coins that feature Yoshi’s profile

2) What is Konami?s famous password for extra lives?
Answer – UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, A, B (I also accepted select and start at the end)

3) What is the name of the main character in the Strider series?
Answer – (Strider) Hiryu

4) What was the original name given to Nintendo?s 32-bit prototype system?
Answer – Project Reality
OK, this was a bit of trick question. First of all, Nintendo never released a 32-bit system. Why? It was in development for such a long time, 1994-1996 and they jumped right to 64-bit because by the time it was ready for release (1996) Sony and Microsoft already had their 32-bit systems out for 2 years. Also, the Nintendo 64 only had a 32-bit BUS, but it had a 64-bit GPU.

5) How many kilobytes of memory would it take to store the original SNES version of Street Fighter II?
Answer – The original Street Fighter II for SNES was a 16-megabit cartridge. Now, a bit is different than a byte. There are 8 bits to a byte. Therefore, a 16-megabit game is 2 megabytes, which is 2000 kilobytes. This is smaller than 2 3.5” floppy disks. Isn’t it amazing how much memory gets thrown around these days. Also, make sure when your local cable internet provider says their download speeds are so fast, make sure they are showing their rates in bytes and not bits (most of the time it is bits to make it look faster than it is.)

6) In Halo (part I) was is the worst (least effective) weapon to use against the flood?
Answer – I have recently finished the game on normal and heroic and 2/3 done with legendary and I have to say the only weapon that does not work well against the flood is the sniper rifle. As much as it’s my favourite weapon in the game, if you take a shot at the flood with this gun, it does nothing.

7) What system was the first metal gear game featured?
Answer – MSX computer, though most classic gamers might think it was the NES/Famicon.

8) Was the Turbo Grafx 16 game system a 8-bit or 16-bit system?
Answer – it was an 8-bit system with a 16-bit GPU.

9) What was the largest HuCard game (in memory) for the Turbo Grafx 16 (PC-Engine)? bonus point for saying how big it was.
Answer – The largest HuCard for the Turbo Grafix/ PC Engine was Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. It was 20mb.

10) What was the most powerful sword you could equip Cecil in the SNES version of Final Fantasy II?
Answer – Crystal Sword

11) What fraction of the energy bar did an unblocked fireball take away in the original Street Fighter game?
Answer – 40% Unlike it’s successors, the fireball in the original street fighter was more deadly. You could beat most opponents with a fireball shoryuken combination, but they were a little harder to pull off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246dvsXhI2k

12) In the game River City Ransom, ladies would hit you with their purses. What did they carry around in their purse?
Answer – They carried bricks in their purse. I don’t know why I put this in here. I guess I though it was funny and thought it would be a challenge to answer correctly. Surprisingly a couple people got it.

13) In the Commodore 64 game "Impossible Mission" what was the famous opening line when you started a new game?
Answer – “Another visitor, stay a while staaaaaaay forever”

14) In Starcraft, what were the homeworlds of the Zerg and Protoss?
Answer – Zerg are from Zerus (not Char) and the Protoss are from Aiur.

15) In the Double Dragon games, what were the names of the large muscular enemies?
Answer – I was looking for Abobo, but Shawn went the extra mile and gave even more information (Abobo and Bolo- for arcade - Abobo,Green Abobo and Willy- for NES)

16) In the game Dracula X for the Sony Playstation 1, what are the two characters you can play? bonus point, what is special about one of the character's names? edit: I now realize that I made a mistake. Due to the discrepancies between the Japanese, English and English PS portable versions. There are actually three characters. So any two of the three characters will get you two points.
Answer – Now I screwed up a bit on this one. I have only played the Japanese version of this game, but I heard that you could not access Maria in the English version. Therefore, I focused on the English version, thinking most would be more familiar with that version, which I think only allowed you to play as Alucard (the main character) and Richter (hidden character). Just my luck, the Playstation portable version put Maria back in. So I accepted Alucard, Richter Belmont and Maria Renard. For the bonus, Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards.

17) How many buttons are there on a standard X-box 360 controller. Button is defined as something you need to push straight down to activate.
Answer – 13 buttons (4 Regular Buttons, 2 Top Triggers, 2 Back Triggers, Select, Start, Xbox Button and both analog sticks.) the game pad cannot be pushed down and is not a button. It was mentioned that triggers are not buttons, but I don’t agree with that. But it’s my game, so it is a button :p

18) Was is the gender of Samus?
Answer – Female. If any of you played the original Metroid game you will remember the faster you finish the game, the more naked you’ll see Samus at the end.
Rush
3/19/08 10:09:58PM
Congrats to the winners

Rich78 - 13pts

DoTheMMAth - 7 pts

jiujitsufreak74 - 20pts

Your props will be awarded ASAP.

Thanks to all who played. I would love to do another that hopefully will not be so "hard" next time.