Trigg vs Lawler, Mayhem - ICON sport, 3/31

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Trigg vs Lawler, Mayhem - ICON sport, 3/31
ffforgottenx
3/1/07 2:59:35PM
this explains why mayhem would not be fighting for the WEC on march 24th.. he had a fight in hawaii on the 31st

Credit: MMANews.com

Middleweight champion Frank Trigg will face Robbie Lawler in the main event of the Icon Sport: Epic card on March 31 at the Blaisdell Center Arena.
The championship bout was finalized this week by the Icon Sport organization.

Trigg will be making his first title defense since defeating Jason "Mayhem" Miller for the championship last December. Trigg, who trains in Las Vegas, recently defeated Japan's Kazuo Misaki in Las Vegas to improve to 15-5.

Trigg is now ranked No. 7 in the world in the 185-pound class by mmaweekly.com.

Lawler, who trains in Iowa, is 13-4. He held the Icon Sport middleweight championship belt for one year before losing to Miller last October.

Miller, Renato "Charuto" Verissimo and several other Hawai'i fighters are expected to fight on the undercard.

Tickets will go on sale Sunday at the Blaisdell box office and online at ticketmaster.com.

-------------------------------------

so who takes it guys?? this is a hard one to call
madmarck
3/1/07 3:30:26PM
Trigg. We have all seen Robbies Ground game. And if he is on top he is decent. But on bottom he is in trouble esipcally against a guy like Trigg. Frank is too strong for Robbie and will be able to take him down for GNP at will.
crimethinc
3/1/07 11:44:38PM
I think this is very much depending on who can better impose there will. On the feet, I'm giving it to Lawler. On the ground, Trigg.
madmarck
3/2/07 8:38:58AM

Posted by crimethinc

I think this is very much depending on who can better impose there will. On the feet, I'm giving it to Lawler. On the ground, Trigg.

Yeah it is clearly a classic strikier vrs Grappler fight.
Northrend
3/3/07 1:36:04AM
Trigg said this would be a tough fight for him and I agree, I see him getting the TD though and TKO'ing him semi-early. Just gota watch out for those bombs Robbie throws. Oh and quick questions...is this PPV available to order?
madmarck
3/3/07 10:59:11AM

Posted by Northrend

Trigg said this would be a tough fight for him and I agree, I see him getting the TD though and TKO'ing him semi-early. Just gota watch out for those bombs Robbie throws. Oh and quick questions...is this PPV available to order?

I dont believe ICON has a PPV. Im not sure why but i recall after Mahyme fought Gamlin he was interviewed. The interviewer asked why he was doing this if he wasnt gonna be on PPV. And mayhem jsut siad it was all about hte money.

So im gonna say no PPV. even though they have pretty decent events from what i hear.
aceprone
3/3/07 11:30:11AM
I'd have to say that I think Trigg takes this one. Lawler better come in shape or Trigg will expose him. If Lawler does beat him, it will because of his normal 2 minute flurry of punches. All Trigg has to do is weather the storm of Lawler. After that, the fight is all his.
the-james
3/3/07 11:36:36AM
I hope lawler knocks out Trigg, but it looks like Trigg will win by lay&pray, wait a second its Frank Trigg

Lawler by RNC
madmarck
3/3/07 1:40:06PM

Posted by the-james

I hope lawler knocks out Trigg, but it looks like Trigg will win by lay&pray, wait a second its Frank Trigg

Lawler by RNC

Have you seen Lawler fight? He is defintly a striker. I cant see Robbie winning this fight on the ground at all.
And Trigg is famous for getting Choked by Hughes and GSP............. the top two WW's in the world.
Northrend
3/3/07 3:56:37PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Northrend

I dont believe ICON has a PPV. Im not sure why but i recall after Mahyme fought Gamlin he was interviewed. The interviewer asked why he was doing this if he wasnt gonna be on PPV. And mayhem jsut siad it was all about hte money.

So im gonna say no PPV. even though they have pretty decent events from what i hear.

aww man that sucks, thanks anyways though.
loller90278
3/3/07 4:18:51PM
i saw an icon ppv and robbie lawler was fighting someone i cant remember whom.. but after lawler won some ladies came on stage all mad wanting to fight him.. silly hawaiian women!

if i was him i'd knock the women out 1 vs 1 just to impose fear into others.
madmarck
3/3/07 10:29:50PM

Posted by loller90278

i saw an icon ppv and robbie lawler was fighting someone i cant remember whom.. but after lawler won some ladies came on stage all mad wanting to fight him.. silly hawaiian women!

Excpet violence between the sexes isnt approved of in todays society.
jdubs
3/5/07 10:15:03AM
i hope lawler wins, i thinkin by ko first round. trigg is such a boring fighter. i hope ufc does not pick him up. i would have to say he is the most overrated fighter at 185
madmarck
3/5/07 11:49:12AM

Posted by jdubs

i hope lawler wins, i thinkin by ko first round. trigg is such a boring fighter. i hope ufc does not pick him up. i would have to say he is the most overrated fighter at 185

Trigg talks ALOT! he gives the worst interviews. He just rambles on with pointless crap.
the-james
3/5/07 3:50:42PM
Lawler for sure i waish we could wager on it
madmarck
3/5/07 6:10:09PM

Posted by the-james

Lawler for sure i waish we could wager on it

nah they org is far from huge. Maybe Heroes, Cage Rage, or IFL will come in someday. but ICON is a ways off.
teamquestnorth
3/5/07 8:52:53PM

Posted by loller90278

yeah i was at that fight the big somoan broad who charged robbie was niko vitales sister and her cousin. they thought that robbie got a late hit in. hawaii is the ghettoest place on the planet im glad i moved((oh yeah icon sport definately does not have pay per view if you live there they usually show the fights on rumblevision like a month later)
madmarck
3/5/07 9:28:33PM
Sweet i was right
SICKRICK
3/12/07 11:04:23AM
i like triggs interviews and i like him as a commentator too
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:33:36AM
this is gonna be a great fight, i think trigg will win