Tricks For Training While Injuried

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Tricks For Training While Injuried
Blacklist26
7/26/07 1:23:36PM
In my nine year career, I got hurt quite a bit. Now as most of you know, you can't always just drop everything you're doing in training so that you can sit at home recovering. So I would like to hear everyone's little tricks for training while you have an injury. Mainly because now that I've retired due to a severe back injury, I plan on coaching a few people and these would be really useful tips... especially since I've been told I'm a tough trainer and I don't usually like students I'm coaching just sit out when they're hurt. lol

I'll start by sharing a tip I used while training for a tournament (three fights) in Germany. At the time, I had hyperextended my left elbow pretty bad. But I knew most of the fighters in my bracket were boxers that relied on ground and pound with limited grappling knowledge. I have a very good kickboxing backround, but my usual game plan against a striker is to use my judo to get him down, then counter whenever they bring at me with my BJJ until I can lock in a submission. The problem was that I was fighting in a weight class heavier than what I was use to, so everyone else had a good 3 inch reach advantage over little ol' me. I knew that even with my Muay Thai, I couldn't do much damage on my feet... my kickboxing was nothing more than defense. But taking it to the ground meant I had to get way inside the pocket and clinch... shooting for a leg wasn't really an option because I could hardly straighten my arm due to my hyperextended elbow. So for almost three weeks straight, all I did in training was keeping my arms bent and guarding my face, bobing and weaving, and foot work.

Sure enough, my two fights in the tournament had me taking a beating trying to get in the pocket. But as soon as I got in, I worked my Judo... which didn't do much, so I instead pulled guard and got the triangle choke to win both of my fights. I never fought the third fight of the tournament because the other finalist had to forfiet due to a broken nose.

So yeah, that's my tip. Work on bobing, weaving, and covered headwork defense while recovering from a hyperextended elbow.

Now lets hear your tricks!!!
grappler0000
7/26/07 3:17:14PM
I just super glue my face back on and get back in there...I'm oldschool
postman
7/26/07 10:17:29PM
Franca took roids
Rush
7/27/07 11:46:29AM
Basically, if my elbow was hurt, I would work on stuff like running and legs/abs and let my elbow heal. The same goes for other injuries. Just focus on something else while the injury is healing.

In general, I wouldn't train if the injury is serious. Too much can happen in training and it's just not worth getting injured again (either in the same spot or another, due to you holding back to prevent the first one from getting re-injured)

I used to think that training injured was all about being a warrior, but now I think that is all bullshit. To me it's the same mentality of taking steroids, or anything that might help you in the short term, but hurt you in the long run. I draw a very fine line between being hurt and being injured.

For me training, despite the fact I am pretty serious, is still a hobby and it's not worth living the last 40+ years of my life in pain or not being able to do things because my body never healed properly. Heck, I'm only 30 and I am already feeling the effects of my mistakes (not letting my injuries heal) as a teenager whilst training.
Blacklist26
8/6/07 2:19:35AM

Posted by Rush

Basically, if my elbow was hurt, I would work on stuff like running and legs/abs and let my elbow heal. The same goes for other injuries. Just focus on something else while the injury is healing.

In general, I wouldn't train if the injury is serious. Too much can happen in training and it's just not worth getting injured again (either in the same spot or another, due to you holding back to prevent the first one from getting re-injured)

I used to think that training injured was all about being a warrior, but now I think that is all bullshit. To me it's the same mentality of taking steroids, or anything that might help you in the short term, but hurt you in the long run. I draw a very fine line between being hurt and being injured.

For me training, despite the fact I am pretty serious, is still a hobby and it's not worth living the last 40+ years of my life in pain or not being able to do things because my body never healed properly. Heck, I'm only 30 and I am already feeling the effects of my mistakes (not letting my injuries heal) as a teenager whilst training.

I'm just glad somebody finally took this post seriously...
Lord_Lenny
8/6/07 3:17:59AM

Posted by Blacklist26
I'm just glad somebody finally took this post seriously...

me too, i hope you find the help you want on here, i just wish i had tips for you but iv only began training