trevail's Hypothetical Heavyweight Tournament

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Side Games » trevail's Hypothetical Heavyweight Tournament
« Previous Page
trevail
4/3/12 12:28:35AM
Well, we only have seven peoples votes but the idea was for this to be fast and easy so we'll continue on... Here are the results:

Match A: Junior Dos Santos (#1) v Fabricio Werdum (#5)
Result - Junior Dos Santos by Round 2 KO (6-1)

Match B: Alistair Overeem (#2) v Josh Barnett (#6)
Result - Alistair Overeem by Round 1 KO (4-3)

Match C: Cain Velasquez (#3) v Shane Carwin (#7)
Result - Cain Velasquez by Unanimous Decision (5-2)

Match D: Frank Mir (#4) v Daniel Cormier (#8)
Result - Frank Mir by last second submission in Round 3 (4-3)
trevail
4/3/12 12:31:03AM
So the Semi-Finals look like this:

Match 1: Junior Dos Santos (#1) v Cain Velasquez (#3)

Match 2: Alistair Overeem (#2) v Frank Mir (#4)
tattflash
4/3/12 6:26:18AM
Overeem Koeing Barnett ?? just as well this is hypothetical because the Reem would not last past Barnett's first sub attempt in my opinion
Pookie
4/3/12 6:31:08AM

Posted by tattflash

Overeem Koeing Barnett ?? just as well this is hypothetical because the Reem would not last past Barnett's first sub attempt in my opinion

I picked Barnett as well, but i could see Overeem winning.

The Mir/Cormier result astounds me though. How would Mir take it to the ground?
tattflash
4/3/12 6:37:48AM
I think Barnett is the only HW who could give JDS problems at the moment, I agree with you theory on Mir submitting Cormier though, although I took Mir iva a tough dec win due to his experience, he would NOT get Cormier down
LateCold
4/3/12 8:47:36AM
I went with Alistair.I think hes strong enough to keep it on the feet and a strong enough striker to make Josh's chin falter.

Went with Cormier as well since I don't think Mir could take it to the ground against Cormier and leaving it on the feet I just don't like how Mir's chin is at times.
trevail
4/3/12 1:29:31PM
The results for the 4 votes for Mir were split between submission and decision, which is why I went with late sub. Mir would have to use his bottom game against Cormier after a takedown/scramble.

Barnett would struggle with taking the Reel down in my opinion leading to him getting desperate and clipped on the way in or destroyed in the clinch.
Bubbles
4/4/12 12:03:50AM
every fight starts standing and AO isn't all that easy to take down. His striking is galaxies better than Barnett's too.

who said anything about Mir taking Cormier down? imo Mir has better striking, albeit less power, than Cormier and I don't think he wants anything to do with Mir's guard...and if he does get ready for a submission
trevail
4/4/12 5:24:25PM
Well Im gonna keep the ball rolling with just 7 votes again since the 8th would make little to no difference in both fights.....

Match 1: Junior Dos Santos (#1) v Cain Velasquez (#3)
Results - Junior Dos Santos wins by 1st Round KO (6-1)

Match 2: Alistair Overeem (#2) v Frank Mir (#4)
Results - Alistair Overeem wins by 1st Round KO (6-1)

FINAL MATCHUP: Junior Dos Santos (#1) v Alistair Overeem (#2)

How they got here:

Junior Dos Santos:
- 1st Round KO of Gabriel Gonzaga
- 2nd Round KO of Antonio Noguiera
- 2nd Round KO of Fabricio Werdum
- 1st Round KO of Cain Velasquez

Alistair Overeem:
- 1st Round KO of Mike Russow
- 2nd Round KO of Antonio Silva
- 1st Round KO of Josh Barnett
- 1st Round KO of Frank Mir
trevail
4/4/12 5:27:53PM
Is anyone interested in doing this again at either WW or LW, and as a random seed style tournament in order to mix things up a bit.....
sparky
4/4/12 5:30:56PM
Im in
Pookie
4/4/12 5:35:25PM
Yup.

Though if you do LW, i'd suggest Adding Penn to the mix.

Junior Rnd 1TKO
Poor_Franklin
4/4/12 5:45:47PM

Posted by trevail

Is anyone interested in doing this again at either WW or LW, and as a random seed style tournament in order to mix things up a bit.....

yes
tattflash
4/5/12 5:25:27AM
im in
LateCold
4/5/12 9:28:27AM
I'd be interested in different weight classes.

Oh no Alistair test positive therefore Mir wins and moves on to the finals to fight JDS . Kidding lol.
trevail
4/5/12 11:30:33PM
AND STILL CHAMPION..........

Junior Dos Santos wins by first round KO! (4-3)

The final votes were as follows:

JDS 1 KO
JDS 1 KO
JDS 1 KO
JDS 3 KO
Reem 1 KO
Reem 1 KO
Reem 2 KO
Bubbles
4/6/12 12:48:44AM
well who didnt see that coming but there are only 7 votes...from what I gather we had 8 before - premature finish!
trevail
4/6/12 1:11:14AM
#8 hasn't made an appearance in the last three rounds haha
Pages: 1 [2]