Travis Lutter cut from the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Travis Lutter cut from the UFC
Bemin
4/27/08 1:35:37PM
UFC middleweight and "The Ultimate Fighter 4" winner Travis Lutter, who most recently suffered a second-round TKO to Rich Franklin at UFC 83, has been released from the UFC.

Lutter contacted fightticker.com with the news.

The cut is the latest from the UFC, which has been trimming its roster of fighters in recent months. As MMAjunkie.com previously reported, one of the highest-profile cases included Jake O'Brien earlier this month.

Link
Aaronno9
4/27/08 1:45:10PM
Good, its what travis deserves. The ufc gives him a title shot, then a match which if he won hed probably get a rematch against anderson, and he fails to make weight for the first and only trains to go one round for the second. He ought to be ashamed of himself. Until he pulls his finger out he doesnt deserve to be in the ufc.
bullettdodger
4/27/08 1:58:10PM
I have to disagree, i felt there were still both good and exciting match-ups for Travis in the UFC... i think was a bit premature considering he recently stated that he had four fights left on his contract..
EDIT: and if they're dropping him for his performance last time out... why not just plain cut Kendall Grove, the kid hasn't done anything recently and can barely (if at all) make it out of the first round due to his glass chin... way more match ups in the MW division for Lutter than there are for Grove... thats all im sayin, just doesn't seem to make too much sense to me
juanez13
4/27/08 2:01:55PM

Posted by bullettdodger

I have to disagree, i felt there were still both good and exciting match-ups for Travis in the UFC... i think was a bit premature considering he recently stated that he had four fights left on his contract..
EDIT: and if they're dropping him for his performance last time out... why not just plain cut Kendall Grove, the kid hasn't done anything recently and can barely (if at all) make it out of the first round due to his glass chin... way more match ups in the MW division for Lutter than there are for Grove... thats all im sayin, just doesn't seem to make too much sense to me

tepid55
4/27/08 2:35:57PM
They should've given him a chance at 205 where he could've made weight easier.
nickcuc547
4/27/08 2:46:54PM
i guess he dug his own grave, but i would have like to see lutter stick around because there are a lot of exciting matchups for him, he did lose two in a row, but there is no shame at all losing two in a row to anderson silva and rich franklin. he could have been a tough fight for anybody in that division. but i guess his weight and his conditiioning did him in.
Ben_Hutch
4/27/08 2:54:52PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i guess he dug his own grave, but i would have like to see lutter stick around because there are a lot of exciting matchups for him, he did lose two in a row, but there is no shame at all losing two in a row to anderson silva and rich franklin. he could have been a tough fight for anybody in that division. but i guess his weight and his conditiioning did him in.

IMO Lutter was just plain lazy with the weight + conditioning problems.
JimiMak
4/27/08 3:23:15PM
I don't think losses to Rich and Andersen should do anything but drop him into the middle ranks. Those are the two best. What's this say for Rich? If he rematches AS again and loses badly will they cut him? I think Travis had a lot more matchups.
Twenty20Dollars
4/27/08 5:21:21PM
yaay no more lutter making excuses saying he could beat the person he lost too if he fought them again.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/27/08 6:55:54PM
Horrible move, Lutter dominated the champion and number one contender...well, until he gassed out. He's talent, let him have a try at 205...put him against Machida or somebody.
Svartorm
4/28/08 1:01:12AM
Hes the perfect canidate for a 195lb weight class. Hes too small for 205 and gasses trying to cut to 185lbs, which is too bad because hes got a hell of a lot of talent. The best bet for his career might be to go the route of Joe Riggs and Couture and get a nutritionist on hand to help him cut weight and avoid the cardio issues he has.
thesteven5918
4/28/08 1:37:00AM
straight up man i cant deny hes good at his submissins but when u cant make weight for such a big event and let the fans down.......... then u get co event and then not even in conditiuon for a war cmon espesially whenu fighting top level like franklin........ then after say the fans suck...... sorry u need to sit back and think homie
Jipper
4/28/08 2:53:36AM
Travis has great potential and is UFC worthy but to not make weight for a title fight and follow that up by gassing after one round and giving the fight away. He's in his mid 30's. If he was going to take his game to the next level these last two fights were his chance to do that. So why should the UFC keep him around?
GlancyMMA
4/28/08 11:10:08AM
Lutter has a lot of talent but he is not a solid reliable performer. You can't rely on him coming into a bout in fight condition. He seems to have issues cutting, either not enough or too much too close and that leaves him weak.

Lutter - my advice be a Greg Jackson, train the greats...
bam383
4/28/08 2:35:00PM
The UFC is where you want to be in MMA these days. You're expected to be able to go 5 full rounds at the highest level of competition, not 1 or 2 rounds. There's no doubt that Lutter is an extremely talented grappler, but until he is able to get his cardio up to the point it needs to be, he doesn't belong in the UFC.
throwmeahotone
5/2/08 12:23:13AM
he gassed while arguing with Dana about this