Training log section

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Training log section
« Previous Page
POLL: Do you want a training log section?
Yes 72% (23)
No 28% (9)
Svartorm
10/10/07 8:05:37PM

Posted by szucconi

I could learn new stuff, but I still need to get a feel for being on my back with my legs up.

You're not that far from Providence, RI, right? There are TONS of dudes there that would be glad to help you with this.
szucconi
10/11/07 12:44:12AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by szucconi

I could learn new stuff, but I still need to get a feel for being on my back with my legs up.

You're not that far from Providence, RI, right? There are TONS of dudes there that would be glad to help you with this.

You are bigger then me and heavily armed so I am going to let the gay jokes slide, this time. It just hit me that Gina Carano and I are in the same weight class. I should be training with her. I might not learn much, but it truly would be a great workout.

As far as training, I took the day off today to catch up on some work and interview George Sotiropoulos on the radio show that I do every week. All my muscles are sore, but in a good way. I am waiting for my gi to come in the mail before I take another class so I will likely run and lift everyday from now till then to try and maintain the soreness.
Jackelope
10/11/07 12:01:02PM
Same stuff this week, really... less gym. After BJJ I keep feeling a "pulling/tightness" in the middle of my back. It's on the right side of my spine in between my spine and my shoulder blade. I'm not sure if it's because my neck is getting overworked or what.

Anyway yesterday I got in some good rolls with a couple of the guys. Mostly I was working on transitioning positions. I find that right now I have a tendency to give up my back (Probably an old wrestling habit) but I'm just taking that weakness and learning to defend the RNC and escape the back mount better.

Apparently I have a pretty good triangle according to a guy in class. He said it feels really, really tight every time I put it on. So I've got to lock down using my triangle. Using a "hooker" move (Eddie Bravo terminology) to set up the triangle is fun as hell. I'm finding that I really like the rubber guard and the mission control position. Plus, they're helping immensely with my hip flexibility. Eddie Bravo's system is a lot of fun and I'm having more and more fun every class.

Although thanks to the injury I've sidelined my weight lifting this week.
Stickan
10/12/07 2:32:39PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by szucconi

It just hit me that Gina Carano and I are in the same weight class. I should be training with her. I might not learn much, but it truly would be a great workout.

Same weight class? Who are you kidding? Gina Carano has her own weight class. It's invite only and chance is when you finally get invited she has gotten a new one.

Jackelope hope you're back gets better. I did some light lifting the other day. I feel awful and the results are terrible. Not very motivating.
Stickan
10/23/07 3:17:22PM
My comeback!
I've been training for a while since I was sick but I've been going very easy. Now I've started going 100% again. The results aren't there but it's good to be back.

Monday 22/10-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Benchpress: 5x3 on 220lbs (11 lbs less and 3 reps less than last session)
Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 6x2, 8x1 with 66lbs dumbells (11 lbs less)
Cable Flies: 8x3 on 110lbs (11 lbs less)
Military press with upright row: 6x3 on 116lbs (6 lbs more)

As I said, the results aren't there yet and i'm still far from what I used to lift but I'm on my way.
Stickan
10/23/07 3:24:25PM
Tuesday 23/10-07

MMA session:
The whole session was about kicks which was great because I think I really need to develop some speed in my kicks.
It went surprisingly well even though some thai-guy busted up by leg pretty badly . I need to stretch more though. My hip locks up when I move my leg sideways and makes a loud pop when I push it back in place.

Weight: 176 lbs. About 12 lbs lighter than I used to weigh. And that's not a good thing because I had no fat to lose.

Stretching: Been stretching very well these weeks. 20 mins today and I'm looking to stretch some more later.

Eating: Pretty good.
szucconi
10/23/07 11:26:01PM
I was in BJJ class tonight and it was nearing the end of class. We started sparring and I sparred with NME who is also my training partner. We started on our knees and I bull rushed him and went strait into his guard. We worked form there for a while and then he went for an arm bar. I managed to sneak out the back door and take his back. I was riding his back and working a choke and something like a twister. He just stood up. I was holding on with my right arm and I still had my hooks or maybe just one hook, I don't recall. He dropped to his right shoulder only I was in between him and the ground. The tip of my shoulder took the impact of my weight and his. It got tingly and now I can't lift my arm. I hope nothing is torn and I can be back at class on Saturday. Worst part is that was the first sparring session and I missed the next three. Ice is not helping and I am not regaining movement.
Stickan
10/24/07 9:59:37AM

Posted by szucconi

I was in BJJ class tonight and it was nearing the end of class. We started sparring and I sparred with NME who is also my training partner. We started on our knees and I bull rushed him and went strait into his guard. We worked form there for a while and then he went for an arm bar. I managed to sneak out the back door and take his back. I was riding his back and working a choke and something like a twister. He just stood up. I was holding on with my right arm and I still had my hooks or maybe just one hook, I don't recall. He dropped to his right shoulder only I was in between him and the ground. The tip of my shoulder took the impact of my weight and his. It got tingly and now I can't lift my arm. I hope nothing is torn and I can be back at class on Saturday. Worst part is that was the first sparring session and I missed the next three. Ice is not helping and I am not regaining movement.

Ouch. Hope it gets better soon. A shoulder is not a fun thing to injure since you use it all the time, both on and off the mat.
Stickan
10/24/07 3:57:45PM
Wednesday 24/10-07

MMA session:
Only grappling today. First a lot of half-guard drills then sparring. In sparring I've found a new love for the armbar so i made it my goal to only go for armbars.
First I went up against a guy about the same weight as me but who has trained a bit longer and a little bit more technically sound but I'm a little bit stronger than him. We rolled around and switched positions frequently and it was very close but I got him in an armbar as the clock sounded.
Unfortunately when it was time to pick a new partner, me and a guy weighing 145 were the only ones left so we had to roll.
Obviously the size difference was a huge advantage for me as I could force my way in to armbar positions but I tried to play it as technical as I could. I can't deny though that I'm very happy about all the armbars I slapped on this guy. Armbars have never been my thing before.

Weight: 178 lbs

Stretching: Very good. Starting to feel results.

Eating: Good
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]