Training log section

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Training log section
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: Do you want a training log section?
Yes 72% (23)
No 28% (9)
Stickan
9/19/07 3:43:31PM
Wednesday 19/9-07

A lot of different sub drills from side today then we started rolling. First guy was about my size but definately stronger than me. It was a lot of back and forth and he finally caught me in a strange neck crank and hurt my neck pretty bad so I tapped pretty quickly. Unfortunately I didn't get to pay him back so it ended with him winning.
Next four guys were all about my size and I went 3-0, 4-0, 1-0, 1-0 which gives me a total of 9-1.
Most of my subs came from arm triangles and triangles but I tried to evolve and try new stuff and got a few subs I usually don't get as easily like armbars from the opponents back and stuff.
I think I need to work more on my back because I'm usually on top and when I get swept I get pretty uncomfortable.

Weight: 188 lbs

Eating: Pretty good.

Sleep: Again not so good.

Stretching: None so I'll have to take care of that before I go to bed.
Stickan
9/21/07 1:14:18AM
Thursday 20/9-07

Biceps, Triceps
Curls with EZ-bar: 8x3 on 94lbs
Tricep extensions with dumbells: 8x3 with 33 lbs dumbells
Dumbell curls: 16x3 with 44lbs dumbells (12 more reps)
Pushdowns with rope: 8x3 on 143lbs
One-hand cable curls: 8x1 on 77, 8x2 on 66lbs

Eating: Too little

Sleep: 2h

Stretching: 10 mins
Jackelope
9/21/07 2:11:00AM
Damn man you gotta start getting some sleep!

Looks like you're doing well despite, though.

Sorry I haven't been posting my stuff on here. I have been working out but lately I've been keeping busy with school and such so I haven't been posting as much as I was before.

Did a sick cardio workout and felt great earlier this week, also had a nice chest and tricep workout yesterday. I'm doing really good with my ... mental problems or whatever you want to call them... and I'm thinking about stepping into some martial arts training again. Although today some kid REALLLLY pissed me off and instead of ******* losing it (although I did make a scene) I decided to just chill out and walk away. So I feel like I'm in control again, which is good. The doctors at the V.A. even told me they think it'd be good for me to get back into martial arts. So, off to find a new school I go.
Stickan
9/21/07 6:05:26AM
Glad to see you back!

Yeah it's been a really rough week so I havn't gotten much sleep. After today that'll change though.

What kind of problems have you been having?

Anyway, good luck on the martial art school search!
Jackelope
9/21/07 12:42:29PM
What do you guys think about Gustavo Dantas? Anybody heard of him? For a while there he trained Joe Riggs and Edwin Dewees. Looks like one of the only competent MMA schools here in town. AZ combat sports
Jackelope
9/25/07 12:47:00AM
So I decided to head over to a school today and take a BJJ class.

It was good, but to be honest I felt a little out of my league. They were doing rubber guard and "x guard" stuff (x guard being something I'd never heard of) I adapted well, but since my BJJ experience is limited to Army combatives I wondered if I was making stupid little mistakes that any skilled practicioner would be able to capitalize on.

I can say for a fact that I feel a lot more comfortable in the standup since the vast majority of my experience comes from standup styles. I had fun, though.. and I'll probably go in there tomorrow and sign up for a 6 week "trial" period that they do. Then I guess I will take it from there
Svartorm
9/26/07 4:03:34AM
X-guard has very little application in MMA, so thats probably why you haven't run into it before. You see it in sub grappling, but if strikes are allowed, it loses a bit of its usefulness as you'll be enjoying a steady diet of uppercuts.
Stickan
9/26/07 12:25:04PM
Bah I've been out for almost a week now due to tonsillitis and 40 C fever.

This sucks so bad....
Jackelope
9/26/07 3:09:07PM

Posted by Svartorm

X-guard has very little application in MMA, so thats probably why you haven't run into it before. You see it in sub grappling, but if strikes are allowed, it loses a bit of its usefulness as you'll be enjoying a steady diet of uppercuts.

LOL yeah I kept thinking that the whole time.. I'm just thinking if this guy has this kind of a dominant position over the top of me, I'm going to be catching some serious blows to the dome while trying to sweep him and I'd be better off to just stay in butterfly guard. I guess it's good to know for grappling, but I really hope we do more mma oriented BJJ stuff. Although learning the basics is helpful, I'm sure.

Stickan- hope you start feeling better, man. Unfortunately now you'll have ground to make up when you get back to it
Jackelope
9/27/07 12:16:35PM
Yesterday we did x-guard stuff again. The same sweeps and rolls, although this time I focused on taking one of the sweeps and converting it into a submission. This one really didn't involve x-guard that much as it was kind of a throw over the top from butterfly guard. I'll describe it-

You're in butterfly guard, your head lower than theirs, you go for an arm drag (which is really just a ruse) the same side of the body that you attempted the arm drag from you "fake" losing your butterfly hook on that side. (For visualization purposes we'll say you were attempting an arm drag with his right arm, so you "lose" your left butterly hook) When the person realizes you lost your left butterfly hook they slide forward to attempt to either pass to half-guard or side mount. That's when you suck that leg they tried to pass forward with up into your chest and roll backward, kicking out with your one remaining butterfly hook to flip them over the top of you while you're stil maintaining that arm drag. From the flip you have the option of riding with them to end up in a full mount or half guard position, or you can maintain your position until they go over your head and immediately convert it into a gator roll to anaconda choke position.

I liked this move and I felt that it was practical in a real world situation, so I stuck with it and practiced it hard. By the end of practice we did some rolling and I was actually able to execute it. I also submitted a guy with a rear naked (although I made the typical mistake of crossing my ankles on the hook from rear mount.. which any guy with skill would have probably broken the hold with) and I used a straight up full mount to arm bar to submit as well.

Lifting also went well yesterday. I did a bit shorter of a workout while my body adjusts to lifting and training MMA on the same day. I cut out 2 exercises, one for the abs and 1 for the shoulders.

I did-

Military press- 150lbs 10x4

Lateral raises- 12.5lbs 10x4

Declined sit ups- 3x25

Bent over barbell rows- 125lbs. 10x3

Calf extensions supersetted with dumbbell hammer curls- 125lbs 12x3 30lbs 10x3

Seated calf raises supersetted with preacher bar curls- 90 lbs 10x3 55 lbs. 12x3

Wide grip pull ups supersetted with back extensions 6x3, 12x3

Probably got in a good 30 minutes of stretching today, too. I really, really need to work on my ITB and my hip flexors for this jiu jitsu stuff. Rubber guard is practically useless. I tried submitting a guy with an invisible collar but I couldn't really get that last leg up and over for the hook that well and even if I had decided to roll it into an omoplata I would have had to have his cooperation just to get my ankle over his head, lol. Which sucks, because I really want to submit someone like that.

Also, I'm having problems while transitioning from the butterfly kick up to sideways switch into x guard. If I'm maintaining my right hook on the back of my opponent's knee while he goes into the upward "split" almost... the problem I'm having is getting my left leg to come over and go on top of my right ankle. I don't know if my legs are just too long for this position to be practical or if I'm just not flexible enough. My left knee is getting caught on my opponent's right leg during the switch and I have to jimmy it into position just to get it on top of my right leg to get the "x" behind his knee. I just have this awful feeling that it's going to get me caught in a knee bar or even worse some kind of ankle lock if I can't get those ankles hooked up properly.

Sorry for the long post, but it was a long day and I need some advice, LOL!
Stickan
9/30/07 10:10:01AM
Nice to see that you're still training hard Jackelope. I'm still out with some strange virus. I've got blisters all over my tongue and mouth and my gums are swollen to the point that it on some places overlaps my teeth. My throat still hurts bad too and my tonsils are still like golfballs.
I've been to the doctor and gotten antibiotics and some other pain reducing medicine that hasn't done crap for me so I'll probably go to the doctor again tomorrow.

I'm so damn sick of this. I havn't been able to eat a complete meal in days and most days I've pretty much just eaten a bowl of soup during the entire day. I have no appetite.
Jackelope
10/2/07 12:00:16PM
Man I hope all that stuff gets figured out, Stickan :( On the plus side it will give your wrist a little time to heal not being able to work hard on it. God, or something stepped in to make sure you don't mess that thing up, haha!

I've still been doing my usual workouts (Pushes with legs 2x week Pulls 2x a week, and BJJ 3x a week for 1 1/2 hrs) The BJJ is going well. We've been doing passes this week, and all last week it was that x-guard stuff along with a couple butterfly sweeps.

I really need to add some submissions and escapes to my arsenal, though. I know I'm just starting out again, but I feel like I have hardly any tools besides the submissions I learned in the Army. I now also know the invisible collar and the twister, but those are both pretty hard to pull off. I would like to learn a good kimura and drill that for a good 30 mins. I guess I just need to be patient and realize it'll all come in time ;)
Stickan
10/2/07 2:46:37PM

Posted by Jackelope

Man I hope all that stuff gets figured out, Stickan :( On the plus side it will give your wrist a little time to heal not being able to work hard on it. God, or something stepped in to make sure you don't mess that thing up, haha!

I've still been doing my usual workouts (Pushes with legs 2x week Pulls 2x a week, and BJJ 3x a week for 1 1/2 hrs) The BJJ is going well. We've been doing passes this week, and all last week it was that x-guard stuff along with a couple butterfly sweeps.

I really need to add some submissions and escapes to my arsenal, though. I know I'm just starting out again, but I feel like I have hardly any tools besides the submissions I learned in the Army. I now also know the invisible collar and the twister, but those are both pretty hard to pull off. I would like to learn a good kimura and drill that for a good 30 mins. I guess I just need to be patient and realize it'll all come in time ;)

Thanks I'm actually feeling a little better today for the first time since I got this shit. It still hurts when I try to eat though and I have no appetite at all.
My clothes are looser than ever and I've probably lost about 20 pounds .

About your training, I think the submissions and everything will come in time as you say. When I'm healthy, I pretty much always think of grappling scenarios when I'm not doing anything and figure out new set-ups for the submissions.
My submission arsenal is pretty limited but I've worked a lot on different set-ups for the basic subs so I usually get them anyway.
Jackelope
10/2/07 3:06:37PM
Yeah I was gonna ask you how much weight you've lost. I'm sure a lot of it will come right back, though. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better

Seems to me that the basic submissions are usually the only ones pulled off in the Octagon and the rings. You've got your rear nakeds, triangle chokes, knee bars, arm bars, heel hooks, kimuras, and the occasional americana. So I guess it's good to just build off of those and really lock them down, but it also seems really easy to rubber guard someone and put them in an invisible collar, although it's hard to actually submit them I've been finding. Plus, how cool is it to sink a sub no one was expecting? haha

Svartorm
10/2/07 11:18:13PM
Now that I have some money I've been going to the gym and working my cardio.

Other than that I've been testing some self-defense equipment, as I want to branch out into teaching basic self-defense to make a little extra money, and need to know what works and what doesn't in the self-defense tools arsenal.

Today I dummied for one of my brothers students, practicing defenses against hooks and uppercuts. My right shoulder is ******* killing me.
hathcock32
10/4/07 10:42:51PM
Anybody from the SD area??? Looking for a place to train for beginners though, seeing as how ive always loved MMA, but my first love baseball has taking up all my time in my life up to this year, im in shape but just dont no how to get started in training?
Svartorm
10/5/07 2:19:12AM
I went to the gym to watch TV tonight and ended up doing 80 minutes on the eliptical. I'm ******* wiped out.
Jackelope
10/5/07 5:54:51PM
This week I did a lot of what I call "recovery workouts" which is basically just light weight workouts focusing on recovering the joints from a lot of heavy lifting lately. Crazy stuff like super slow bench sets with light weight and also a lot of rotator cuff exercises and body weight exercises. Not a very difficult "hard workout" week, but they're difficult in their own right.

I only went to BJJ on Monday because I have family in town (which sucks) so I feel like I missed out a week of good training there. This week we were focusing on passing the guard, too, which is something I'd really like to get better at. Oh well, though.

szucconi
10/5/07 11:32:38PM

Posted by Svartorm

I went to the gym to watch TV tonight and ended up doing 80 minutes on the eliptical. I'm ******* wiped out.

First, what was on TV that was so great?

Next and most importantly. I am starting BJJ class on tuesday so now I feel like I can post on this thread. I really enjoy reading this thread. I will start with some stats about me. I am about 5'10" and currently 137lbs. I have a wrestling background from high school, but that is just about 6 years ago now and although I was a starter on the team for three years, I wasn't very good. My coach didn't teach us anything fancy and I think my tight funamentals (if I can knock off the rust) will transition well to BJJ. I recently learned that my goto move in wrestling exists in BJJ and is called a twister. I have made meny a freshmen cry with it. I have started lifting again, but my workout is not a complete workout yet. I am slowly working up to a full program and easing into things that are hard on my knees like squats (I have torn things in both knees). Bench is about the only thing I am fully into so far and my max rep is about 185. Does anyone know what the standard weight classes are fo BJJ? The lowest I have seen for adults in torneies is <140 and I know I could make a 130 limit becasue thats what I was in high school and I haven't grown any. My friend has this grand idea of me cutting to 125 (I think its more like 123) and fighting in shooto versus much shorter men from Japan. My friend will be learning with me and I am sure we will be quickly humbled.
Stickan
10/8/07 1:30:02AM
I'm back! .
Finally got rid of the virus.. I think. Either way I stopped eating antibiotics and went to the gym yesterday. I felt good before the gym session and the training went surpringly well considering I've been out for 2 weeks and all I've done is lying on my bed watching TV, eating about a bowl of soup a day. The most exercise I've gotten these past 2 weeks is some occasional uninspired humping on my girlfriend.
Anyway, the training went well but I sweat like a pig and it felt like my heart was about to pound it's way out of my chest. I've never been so sweaty in my entire life and my pulse was ridiculous. My clothes were soaked in sweat and my friend laughed hysterically because it looked like I had pissed myself because of my wet pants.
I drank litres of water but still it continued to pour out. When I got home I started feeling dizzy and was still sweating. I naturally thought it was because of lack of water so I drank even more even though I wasn't thirsty at all. When I hit the shower I felt cold even though the water was hot as hell.
I continued feeling dizzy and strange the rest of the day until I went to bed. Today I feel fine though. I thought creatine was supposed to make the water stay in the body, not the other way around.

Well anyway, I'm looking forward to training later today but perhaps I'll bring a towel this time.
Jackelope
10/8/07 1:06:59PM
LOL "uninspired humping" that's great!

you could have been sweating more simply for the fact that the virus was still in your body and it was trying to sweat it out. I'm sure working out helped get rid of it. Glad to hear you're back. How did the wrist feel?
Stickan
10/8/07 4:02:36PM

Posted by Jackelope

LOL "uninspired humping" that's great!

you could have been sweating more simply for the fact that the virus was still in your body and it was trying to sweat it out. I'm sure working out helped get rid of it. Glad to hear you're back. How did the wrist feel?

Thanks for asking. My wrist feels fine. It's about healed now. I guess you're right about the sweat because today when I was lifting weights I barely broke a sweat and i felt fine afterwards and not dizzy at all. My performance was horrible though as I've dropped about 20kgs in bench press (about 50 pounds) and I walked around going easy on most exercises just to activate my muscles again and get my joints ready for some hopefully heavier lifting next week.
Tomorrow is my first MMA practice since I got the virus. I feel uninspired and not very motivated to get my ass kicked right now but hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.
Jackelope
10/8/07 4:43:58PM
I'm sure you'll get your lifting back up to where it was in no time. Besides, some recovery time for your muscles might not have been too terrible of a thing
NME
10/9/07 12:46:18PM

Posted by szucconi
My friend has this grand idea of me cutting to 125 (I think its more like 123) and fighting in shooto versus much shorter men from Japan. My friend will be learning with me and I am sure we will be quickly humbled.

That's really weird. Someone else had this idea as well?
Svartorm
10/10/07 5:13:42AM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Svartorm

First, what was on TV that was so great?

Next and most importantly. I am starting BJJ class on tuesday so now I feel like I can post on this thread.

I was watching Last One Standing, which is an hour, and I got there early and didn't have anyone to talk to, so I started 20 minutes early. I'm trying to drop some extra weight right now so see if my speed in grappling scrambles picks up, so I've been trying to do 90 minutes a night on the elipticals. I've dropped 10lbs in the last six days, so I should be trim again in a few weeks.

Enjoy the BJJ bro! If you're willing to travel, I'd have no problem hosting you up here if you want to get some training in. I'm a bit unconventional in grappling and tend to get BJJ guys fits on the ground because of it, so you might be able to pick up something useful from that. Plus I need to train with some quick little bastards like yourself before I fight again next summer.
szucconi
10/10/07 10:38:32AM

Posted by Svartorm

Enjoy the BJJ bro! If you're willing to travel, I'd have no problem hosting you up here if you want to get some training in. I'm a bit unconventional in grappling and tend to get BJJ guys fits on the ground because of it, so you might be able to pick up something useful from that. Plus I need to train with some quick little bastards like yourself before I fight again next summer.

BJJ class was great. Its run just like wrestling practice, but with no conditioning. Everybody was cool and went out of there way to help. I rolled with a blue belt and he was great about giving me a little before taking it away. He made a comment after we were done about my weight. He asked me if I was around 150. That made me feel good because I am only about 137. I have some very strange bruising patterns on my arm and some mat burn on my foot, but I feel great.

I might be willing to travel, but it would likely be a waste of time. I am new to this and still only a crappy wrestler at best. Plus you are much, much larger then me and I wouldn't pose much of a challenge for you. I said that I was small, but I never said anything about quick. I am in really bad shape. It was worse and its getting better, but I am software engineer after all. I am expected to be out of shape and drink a lot of mountain dew. I am also expected to be afraid of women and sunlight.
fedorwins1
10/10/07 11:01:40AM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Svartorm

BJJ class was great. Its run just like wrestling practice, but with no conditioning. Everybody was cool and went out of there way to help. I rolled with a blue belt and he was great about giving me a little before taking it away. He made a comment after we were done about my weight. He asked me if I was around 150. That made me feel good because I am only about 137. I have some very strange bruising patterns on my arm and some mat burn on my foot, but I feel great.

I might be willing to travel, but it would likely be a waste of time. I am new to this and still only a crappy wrestler at best. Plus you are much, much larger then me and I wouldn't pose much of a challenge for you. I said that I was small, but I never said anything about quick. I am in really bad shape. It was worse and its getting better, but I am software engineer after all. I am expected to be out of shape and drink a lot of mountain dew. I am also expected to be afraid of women and sunlight.

Hey you could always learn something new. When I roll with someone I've never rolled with before I always pick up or notice something different that they do and try to use it.
szucconi
10/10/07 11:23:59AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Hey you could always learn something new. When I roll with someone I've never rolled with before I always pick up or notice something different that they do and try to use it.

I could learn new stuff, but I still need to get a feel for being on my back with my legs up. The things I need to learn are basic. Just not worth traveling for. Maybe in a year or so I would feel better about taking my BJJ on the road. For now, I am good with white belt class 2-4 times a week and maybe rolling with my buddies. Even though I am not good or comfortable on any level, I might start competing sooner rather then later because of the lack of people in my weight class. I might not come close to winning anything, but I think I can give them a good match up from a strength and size perspective. Its good to have depth at any division.
fedorwins1
10/10/07 4:05:25PM
What's your weight? If you're lighter then you'll have a ton of people in your division. I know what you mean when you say you gotta get used to working off your back. If you want to get better at a certain area like the guard, look up some Eddie Bravo and pull guard or butt scoot to practice working off your back.
szucconi
10/10/07 4:24:54PM

Posted by fedorwins1

What's your weight? If you're lighter then you'll have a ton of people in your division. I know what you mean when you say you gotta get used to working off your back. If you want to get better at a certain area like the guard, look up some Eddie Bravo and pull guard or butt scoot to practice working off your back.

by the time I am ready to compete I will likely be walking under 130. Right now I am at 139 and at 5'10" I am tall for my weight. I think I just need mat time and I will be able to adjust. The fact that I am out of shape means it will just take longer. I will look into drill that I can do between classes to help me lay on my back without wanting to bridge and roll.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4