Training log section

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Training log section
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: Do you want a training log section?
Yes 72% (23)
No 28% (9)
Jackelope
9/7/07 2:44:33PM
I'd really be careful about it. It sounds like maybe you've got some carpal tunnel going on in your wrist. Or something of that nature. If you had experienced pain at one particular moment I'd say it was a muscle strain or tear. If there was swelling I'd say there was possibly some joint, ligament, or tendon damage. Since you didn't say any of these I'm led to believe that you may be experiencing some form of carpal tunnel. Especially since the pain is chronic. I don't want to sound discouraging, but it doesn't sound like it's going to get better by just taking pain pills.

Definitely go speak with a doctor about your wrist. I would recommend steroid assisted physical therapy if your doctor suggests it. It can do wonder for recurring injuries. I broke my leg twice and it led to all kinds of problems. Once they hooked me up on steroid shock therapy it healed real nice.

Anyway as far as trap exercises go- Try those rotating plate lifts fighters do on TUF. Basically grab a 45 lb. weight, rotate it around your head (but don't keep it too close to your head.. make sure you've got it held out just a little bit so that you're working your traps. You rotate it say 10 times in one direction, then change up and go the other. (Your endurance will determine the number you can do, of course) It's a good exercise that I'm fond of because it incorporates the entire upper torso. Just make sure you're not moving your head to assist you, and that you keep a good shoulder width stance.

That, and I'm a big fan of straight up dumbbell shrugs.

Always use proper form in all techniques, though ;)
Stickan
9/7/07 3:54:54PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'd really be careful about it. It sounds like maybe you've got some carpal tunnel going on in your wrist. Or something of that nature. If you had experienced pain at one particular moment I'd say it was a muscle strain or tear. If there was swelling I'd say there was possibly some joint, ligament, or tendon damage. Since you didn't say any of these I'm led to believe that you may be experiencing some form of carpal tunnel. Especially since the pain is chronic. I don't want to sound discouraging, but it doesn't sound like it's going to get better by just taking pain pills.

Definitely go speak with a doctor about your wrist. I would recommend steroid assisted physical therapy if your doctor suggests it. It can do wonder for recurring injuries. I broke my leg twice and it led to all kinds of problems. Once they hooked me up on steroid shock therapy it healed real nice.

Anyway as far as trap exercises go- Try those rotating plate lifts fighters do on TUF. Basically grab a 45 lb. weight, rotate it around your head (but don't keep it too close to your head.. make sure you've got it held out just a little bit so that you're working your traps. You rotate it say 10 times in one direction, then change up and go the other. (Your endurance will determine the number you can do, of course) It's a good exercise that I'm fond of because it incorporates the entire upper torso. Just make sure you're not moving your head to assist you, and that you keep a good shoulder width stance.

That, and I'm a big fan of straight up dumbbell shrugs.

Always use proper form in all techniques, though ;)

Thanks, your input is much appreciated!
I'm seeing the doctor on monday so he'll have to tell me what to do then but I'm glad it doesn't sound like any ligament or tendon damage.
Until then I'll try to train and bust my hand up as much as possible. Free health care is the shit ... (kidding)

I'll try that trap exercise. I like the dumbell shrug but the heaviest dumbells at my gym weigh 40 kilos (about 88lbs) and that doesn't really do it for me. I have pretty strong trapz, I just don't know how I got them and how I can get them stronger. My grip is also an issue as I usually do trapz after a lot of heavy back exercises and my grip strength is not where it needs to be at that point.
Should I put trapz at another day?

The one way I know how to get to the heavier weights is by doing barbell shrugs but the package always seems to get in the way and if I do the exercise behind my back my ass gets in the way.
Jackelope
9/7/07 4:11:35PM
Hell yeah free heatlh care rocks! Are you kidding me? I wish I had it, haha!

BTW.. don't quote my assumption as for one I don't have your wrist right here to be looked at, and for two as I've mentioned before I'm only an EMT, not a doctor. The main thing is just getting it looked at by one of those professionals, which it sounds like you're going to definitely get taken care of

I know what you mean about having a weak grip during shrugs. I would suggest keeping your traps day with your back day, though. It's a personal philosophy of mine but I prefer to work my pull muscles on the same day since they're all working in concert anyway and it's easier to break them all down at once. Although you definitely won't always achieve the same isolation results. The more I want to break down a certain muscle the closer at the beginning I put it in my workout... if that makes any sense.

Another good trap exercise is the upright row.

You are definitely pretty strong for your size. How tall are you? I was amazed to look back and see that you're only 185. I would have guessed 190-210.
Stickan
9/7/07 4:25:04PM

Posted by Jackelope

Hell yeah free heatlh care rocks! Are you kidding me? I wish I had it, haha!

BTW.. don't quote my assumption as for one I don't have your wrist right here to be looked at, and for two as I've mentioned before I'm only an EMT, not a doctor. The main thing is just getting it looked at by one of those professionals, which it sounds like you're going to definitely get taken care of

I know what you mean about having a weak grip during shrugs. I would suggest keeping your traps day with your back day, though. It's a personal philosophy of mine but I prefer to work my pull muscles on the same day since they're all working in concert anyway and it's easier to break them all down at once. Although you definitely won't always achieve the same isolation results. The more I want to break down a certain muscle the closer at the beginning I put it in my workout... if that makes any sense.

Another good trap exercise is the upright row.

You are definitely pretty strong for your size. How tall are you? I was amazed to look back and see that you're only 185. I would have guessed 190-210.

Yeah I agree, I'd rather keep doing trapz and back on the same day. Perhaps it's the grip that needs to be worked on. I've thought about getting a powerball for that sole purpose. Do you know if it's any good?

I'm 6 ft tall.
Jackelope
9/7/07 4:28:16PM
Yeah you're a strong guy for your size. Have you lifted a lot before or are you just naturally strong?

Anyway I haven't tried them, sorry. Although as an interesting fact did you know your finger muscles are the weakest muscles in your body? Crazy, eh? I can't imagine anything that helps with your grip is a bad investment, though.
Stickan
9/7/07 7:12:08PM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah you're a strong guy for your size. Have you lifted a lot before or are you just naturally strong?

Anyway I haven't tried them, sorry. Although as an interesting fact did you know your finger muscles are the weakest muscles in your body? Crazy, eh? I can't imagine anything that helps with your grip is a bad investment, though.

I've always had a pretty lousy grip so guess it can't make it worse at least..

I'm definately not naturally strong. In fact, I've got horrible genes. I've worked hard as hell for years and I've slowly, slowly gotten to where I'm at right now. I beat myself up for not having been eating proborly when I was younger.
I was expecting to have a lot better training results by this time but I'm pretty much stuck where I'm at right now.
Jackelope
9/7/07 8:44:53PM
Naww I'd say you're doing good. It makes sense that you have worked toward it for a while, though. At first I thought you had just started lifting and I was thinking "damn, this guy is naturally strong as hell!" That's why I asked how tall you are... I'd figured maybe you were one of those 5'7" 180lb powerhouses.

Anyway for what it's worth I'll post what I did today. Even though I'm not training for MMA (not even enrolled in a martial arts school ATM) I'm mostly just trying to stay in shape while I decide which way I want to go. Plus school and work makes it so I can only get to the gym 3 times a week really. So, bleh.. here's my workout today-

Dumbbell (obviously) See-saw press on balance ball 10x1 35 lbs. 8x3 40 lbs.

Seated military press w/ barbell 10x4 150lbs.

Shoulder shrugs w/ dumbbells 1x10 70lbs. 1x10 75lbs. 1x10 80lbs. superseted with decline bench sit ups 25x3

Bent over barbell rows 3x10 115lbs.

Calf extensions on machine 3x12 100lbs. superseted with alternating dumbbell hammer curls 10x3 30lbs.

(PRIDE fighting highlights on FSN-AZ came on during this time at the gym... so I got a little distracted/slowed down watching Barnett/Nastula matchup.. haha)

Seated calf raises 3x10 90lbs.

Wide grip pull ups 3x6 superseted with good mornings 3x12

Normally on these days I also do preacher bar curls, lateral raises, and seated rows or lat pull downs, but I was feeling particularly lazy and I also did get distracted by that fight I'm starting to wonder if I should just switch it up to doing a 3x a week full body workout since I can only workout Mon, Wednesday, Friday.

BTW, I'm 6' tall 160 lbs.
Stickan
9/7/07 9:04:34PM

Posted by Jackelope

Naww I'd say you're doing good. It makes sense that you have worked toward it for a while, though. At first I thought you had just started lifting and I was thinking "damn, this guy is naturally strong as hell!" That's why I asked how tall you are... I'd figured maybe you were one of those 5'7" 180lb powerhouses.

Anyway for what it's worth I'll post what I did today. Even though I'm not training for MMA (not even enrolled in a martial arts school ATM) I'm mostly just trying to stay in shape while I decide which way I want to go. Plus school and work makes it so I can only get to the gym 3 times a week really. So, bleh.. here's my workout today-

Dumbbell (obviously) See-saw press on balance ball 10x1 35 lbs. 8x3 40 lbs.

Seated military press w/ barbell 10x4 150lbs.

Shoulder shrugs w/ dumbbells 1x10 70lbs. 1x10 75lbs. 1x10 80lbs. superseted with decline bench sit ups 25x3

Bent over barbell rows 3x10 115lbs.

Calf extensions on machine 3x12 100lbs. superseted with alternating dumbbell hammer curls 10x3 30lbs.

(PRIDE fighting highlights on FSN-AZ came on during this time at the gym... so I got a little distracted/slowed down watching Barnett/Nastula matchup.. haha)

Seated calf raises 3x10 90lbs.

Wide grip pull ups 3x6 superseted with good mornings 3x12

Normally on these days I also do preacher bar curls, lateral raises, and seated rows or lat pull downs, but I was feeling particularly lazy and I also did get distracted by that fight I'm starting to wonder if I should just switch it up to doing a 3x a week full body workout since I can only workout Mon, Wednesday, Friday.

BTW, I'm 6' tall 160 lbs.

Damn you talk about me being strong!? You must be a pretty thin or lean dude and 10x4 on 150lbs seated military press!? You're crazy. When thin people are strong like that, that's retard strength to me.
I'm generally a thin dude and I thought I was pretty strong when I weighed about 155-160 but 150lbs in military press?!.. Not even close.
Jackelope
9/7/07 9:27:29PM
Well I went through a big period of shoulder strengthening. I had ruined my rotator cuff in high school so when I got back to health I spent a lot of time strengthening my rotator cuff. This was at a time when Bill Goldberg was really big in wrestling and I realized that to look a lot bigger your best bet is to beef up your shoulders and traps. So I spent a lot of time building those muscles up and I ended up pretty strong in that department.

After that I went into the Army and joined the infantry. In the infantry you're always working your shoulders. I just got back from 15 months in Iraq carrying 100-120 lbs on my shoulders all day long every day, so my shoulders are doing good haha.

Don't be disillusioned, though.. I'm really not that strong in other departments. I only rep on bench press 175.. usually I get 10 first set, then 8, then 5 on the last set.

Edit: Oh, and I take offense to that retard strength comment!!! hahaha just kidding.
Svartorm
9/9/07 5:29:46AM
I trained with my brother and one of his students today. I basically dummied for his student, so I didn't get too much out of it, but we worked a clinch technique my brother has been working on for his law enforcement students, and that was pretty cool. A big concern from LEOs is getting tackled as that turns into a wrestling match for the gun or a boot party if theres more than one guy, so we worked on having myself attempt double legs, single legs, body locks, trips, tackles, etc to see how it worked, and it came out pretty good. The only time I got my brother down was by dogging a single leg, and in a striking situation, I would have taken plenty of shots to the back of the head.

Tomorrow I should be rolling or working my stand-up with him.
Svartorm
9/9/07 7:17:33PM
My brother wasn't feeling too good, but he was a sport and we rolled for a bit. I've been having trouble with my half guard from bottom, so we just started with me in half guard every time so I could work my way out of it. I won every match, mostly with kimuras and americanas.

I'd like to be able to find someone my size to roll with, or at least several somebodies so I could work my cardio at the same time.
Stickan
9/10/07 10:46:38AM
Sunday 9/9-07

A lot of wrestling and takedown drills today and it went fairly well even though my wrist hurt a bit.

Weight: 187lbs

Eating: Terrible.

Sleep: 6h. Not long enough.

Stretching: Pretty good.
Stickan
9/10/07 4:20:44PM
Monday 10/9-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Benchpress: 6x1 on 226lbs, 6x2 on 231lbs (5lbs more)
Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 6x3 with 77lbs dumbells.
Cable Flies: 8x1 on 110, 8x2 on 121lbs (11lbs more)
Military Press: 6x3 on 127lbs

Eating: Been eating good. Lots of big meals.

Sleep: Slept pretty good as well.

Stretching: None so far but gonna stretch when I'm done with this.

i didn't have time to go to the doctor today and right now it doesn't feel necessary either. My wrist hurts pretty bad when it's cold but as soon as I've pushed through the first couple of minutes and it gets warm, I barely notice it.
Jackelope
9/10/07 6:09:57PM
Looks like a pretty decent workout. Don't keep ignoring that wrist, man... I'm telling you. Obviously you can do what you want.. but it's in your best interest to get it checked out. You don't want something stupid like that to derail your training.

Today I did a chest and triceps workout. It was lame as hell. I've been feeling weak for this past week for some reason

Flat bench- 1x10 135lbs. 1x8 175 lbs. 1x6 175 lbs. 1x4 175lbs.
Incline bench- 3x8 155 lbs.
Tricep rope pushdowns 3 x 10 90lbs.
Dips- 3x10 supersetted with workout ball crunches 3x20
Machine fly 3x10 90 lbs.

Down to 155lbs. now. Had a long weekend with barely any sleep and didn't eat much, either. Too many video games and not enough gym
Pitbull09
9/10/07 11:16:27PM
Your a genius for making this post and I hope they do branch it off to its own section. Im starting my weight gain diet tomorrow along with a new weight routine, so I might put up a post if you guys dont mind. I dont do any wrestling or bbj yet but in the winter I might start at a Judo school. Ill post torrow on how things go.
Stickan
9/11/07 3:00:47AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Your a genius for making this post and I hope they do branch it off to its own section. Im starting my weight gain diet tomorrow along with a new weight routine, so I might put up a post if you guys dont mind. I dont do any wrestling or bbj yet but in the winter I might start at a Judo school. Ill post torrow on how things go.

Yeah, of course we don't mind. Looking forward seeing to how your weight gain progresses. I've had problems gaining weight for quite a while now.
Svartorm
9/11/07 3:28:17AM
Its not going to be its own section, but if people keep posting in this, I'll make an October Training Log post and sticky it. Its the best we can do, although if the interest is still there and we have enough people doing it, it might convince the owner to make a new section.
Jackelope
9/11/07 8:08:05PM
Today my boss pissed me off.. so I decided to head to the gym and expell some frustration even though today is my day off.

I played basketball for about 15-20 minutes. Then I did 200 yd sprints x 3. Then I moved on to ski jumpers over one of those foam noodles. I did 25x4 with about a 30 second rest in between. Had my heart rate up in the 150's-160's for probably a good 10-15 minutes today. I gotta step back gradually into cardio as it's been a while since I've been serious about it. My teeth still hurt after doing cardio. Tomorrow I'm going to ask about that. I forgot to after my last workout.

Oh yeah, then I came home and swam laps in the pool for about 10 minutes.

I forgot how good doing cardio makes you feel after the pain is over, haha!
Svartorm
9/12/07 2:45:05AM
I got challenged to a grappling match while at work today, so that was my workout.

Theres a pizza joint next door to the store I work at, and one of the part time guys there plays Rugby, wrestles, is an MMA fan, and is generally a pretty tough dude. I forget what brought it up but I went in for food and he heard I did NHB, so he wanted to roll with me later in the evening when their place closed.

Hes about 6' and maybe 180lbs, and moves pretty well for his size, and is damn strong too. He doesn't seem to know much clinch work and ended up screwing up a takedown and landed on bottom, where we had a scramble until I ended up in side mount. He had tried for a guillotine right before I got to side mount and was convinced he had it so he cranked on my neck for a good 30 seconds. I figured I'd just let him tire the arm out with it and then threw on a kimura when the arm started to get tired, and that ended that.

He seemed pretty dissapointed, but hopefully I can get him to come to my brothers studio on weekends, as I'd love to work with him some more, and wouldn't mind helping him with his game.

I'm taking a walk in a bit too, but thats mostly so I can smoke a cigar, so I probably shouldn't count that as training.
Jackelope
9/12/07 3:48:57PM
I hate guillotines.. I think just because of my wrestling background I always get caught in them. What should I be doing when I immediately feel one being put on? Turn head to the side and try to back out??
Stickan
9/12/07 5:07:57PM

Posted by Jackelope

I hate guillotines.. I think just because of my wrestling background I always get caught in them. What should I be doing when I immediately feel one being put on? Turn head to the side and try to back out??

Chin down, wrist-control and try to keep a straight posture with you body. So follow the direction of the choke to lessen the pressure on your neck.
I don't know how long you've been grappling but IMO after a while you kind of get a sense of when to put your chin down to protect against potential guillotines. The really really good guys might still catch you but most guys won't.

Wednesday 12/9-07

Awesome training. Today it was all ground and we did a lot of different armbar and set-up drills to begin with. The last 20 minutes was all rolling and that's when all the fun began.
Because this was my first sparring or rolling since I hurt my hand and I've been doubting myself and my position in the advanced/competition-group since I've missed a lot of training sessions lately, I kinda pumped myself up before the sparring began and really tried to focus.

We rolled for 10 minutes and the first guy I went up against was about my size but a little taller so I guess he outweighed me by only a few pounds.
I got side on him pretty quickly and put good pressure with my shoulder on his neck so heard him gurgling in discomfort. He tried to make some space by pressing his forearm on my throat but I saw the opening and quickly pushed the arm past my head and secured the arm with my head. He knew the arm-triangle was coming so he started bucking and did everything he could to prevent me from mounting and passing to the other side. I finally did though and tapped him out pretty quickly.
After that I started to break him down mentally by getting him in triangles, key-locks and I even latched on two more arm-triangles with great set-ups so I felt like freakin Shaolin Ribeiro.

After those first 10 minutes I felt really good because the guy I beat was a strong guy who has trained as long as I have. The next guy was slightly smaller than me. About 180 lbs. He is one of those really serious, younger guys though that really aims for that UFC spot one day and trains like madmen.
It started out with him getting me down and getting sidemount. Lucky for me I have a pretty strong bridge and got guard and Joe StevensonĀ“d him with a guillotine. After that I got 2 triangles from the top and a kimura before the bell rang.
So I went 9-0 .

The one time I got close to tapping I got caught in a strange inverted triangle that I got my arm out of. The triangle still had my head stuck and my neck hurt pretty bad even though I wasn't being choked so I had to revert to my philosophy that you don't tap to something you've never seen anyone tapped with and slowly worked my way out of the hold.

Weight: 187lbs

Eating: Great.

Sleep: 8h

Stretching: 15 good minutes.
Svartorm
9/13/07 1:45:45AM

Posted by Jackelope

Stickans advice is good, but generally with things like that, its best to look at why you keep getting caught in them and work on that.

Are you getting caught when shooting takedowns, clinching, on the ground, or what?
Jackelope
9/13/07 12:00:25PM
When shooting takedowns. Like I said.. I come from a wrestling background. I like to shoot double legs, but maybe I should stick to low singles with a sweep thrown in there.
Svartorm
9/14/07 3:22:42AM
This is hard to explain without photos, but when you shoot, try to keep one side of your head next to, but not against, the shoulder of the arm thats going farthest from your body during the takedown. It stops a quick guillotine, as by the time your arm is around the dudes legs or waist, your head is already to the side of his body. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.
Svartorm
9/14/07 3:31:40AM
As for training, I've been walking a lot lately before the weather gets shitty, and I rolled with that rugby guy again. He thought last time was a fluke and had a co-worker bring in a video camera to record his triumphant victory over me in a rematch. Instead he got a video of me RNCing him. Hes a scrappy guy, and was really cool after this match because I think he figured out I'm not a joke on the ground, so hopefully I can get him to train with me a bit and get him some more ground skills.

I asked the co-worker to put it on youtube so if and when he does that, I'll get the link and put it up here.
Stickan
9/14/07 7:53:33AM
Thursday 13/9-07

Biceps, Triceps
Curls with EZ-bar: 8x3 on 94lbs
One-hand cable curls: 8x1 on 77, 8x2 on 66lbs
Pushdowns in lats machine: 8x3 on 99lbs
Pushdowns with rope: 8x3 on 143lbs
Dumbell curls: 12x3 with 44lbs dumbells.

My wrist bothered me a lot today so I can't say I'm happy with todays performance.

Eating: Too little.

Sleep: About 5h. Way too little.

Stretching: 10 mins of good stretching.
Stickan
9/14/07 2:25:48PM
Friday 14/9-07

Back
Deadlifts: 6x2 on 287lbs, 6x1 on 292lbs (5 lbs more)
Pulldowns behind neck: 6x1 on 209, 5x2 on 220lbs
Row in machine with back stationary: 6x2 on 198, 6x1 on 209 (11 lbs more)
Unnamed dumbell exercise: 10x3 with 33lbs dumbells.

Eating: Need to eat more today

Sleep: Good 9 h

Stretching: Really good 30 mins.

Felt weaker than last week even though I got better results. I wasn't as strict as last week.
Stickan
9/15/07 10:38:59AM
Saturday 15/9-07

Easily the hardest training session I've had in a long long time.

Striking:
Today was all sparring and we started off with some boxing. The first guy I got was about my weight but a little shorter. I tried to keep my distance with my jab and it found it's target really well. I started getting confident and roughed him up pretty good as soon as I noticed he was getting tired. He was getting really defensive and I was able to practice a lot of good combinations.
The next guy I went up against was a lot shorter and lighter than me. He's trained thai boxing for a long time and has about a year more experience in MMA than me. He really creamed me. There's no way around it. Since he was so much shorter I tried to keep my distance and pump the jab but he used my jab to get inside and got me with nasty hooks every time. He switched it up nicely and he definately caught me way more than I caught him. In the end I started landing good uppercuts but he was still getting the better of me.
After this my shoulders started tiring and we know added kicks and clinchwork with knees. I went up against a thai guy a little smaller than me. This time I was able to keep my distance a lot better. He probably scored a little more than me but it was pretty even.
The last guy was almost exactly my size. I caught him with a few hooks and he started to become a little gunshy so I just put it on him. I got in some really nice body shots so he tired really fast.

It's pretty clear that I need to work a lot on the defensive side of my striking. I drop my right hand too often which can be seen on the right side of my face. I'll probably be black and blue there tomorrow.

Submission grappling:
We went a few 5 minute rounds of grappling. I was really really really tired by now so I thought I was about to get mauled. I got on top of all 5 guys submitted everyone except one and not once got on my back.
So I went 5-0 in submissions .

Weight: 185lbs

Eating: Good

Sleep: 8h

Stretching: 20 mins so far. Great!
Stickan
9/16/07 2:28:07PM
Sunday 16/9-07

Legs, Abs
Squats: 6x2 on 204lbs, 6x1 on 209lbs (2 more reps on 209)
Lunges: 12x1 on 44lbs, 12x2 on 50lbs (1 more set)
Calf in machine: 20x3 on 220lbs
Jumping rope: As much as I could.
Sit-ups: 3 sets
Exercise where you move sideways on your back without using limbs: 3 laps.

Eating: okay.

Sleep: 7h

Stretching: Good 15 mins.
Stickan
9/18/07 11:36:38AM
Monday 17/9-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Benchpress: 6x3 on 231lbs (1 set more)
Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 6x3 with 77lbs dumbells.
Cable Flies: 8x3 on 121lbs (1 set more)
Military press with upright row: 6x3 on 110lbs
Some shoulder drill with dumbells: For as long as I could.

Eating: Bad

Sleep: Barely 2h because of stuff....

Stretching: 10 good mins.

Considering I had barely slept I'm pretty satisfied with the workout. The last drill was to increase my conditioning in my shoulders so I won't drop my hands when sparring.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4