Training log section

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Training log section
Next Page »
POLL: Do you want a training log section?
Yes 72% (23)
No 28% (9)
Stickan
8/23/07 2:06:32PM
What do you think about it?

I think it would be a great way to get opinions and constructive criticism on your training regimen. You might also motivate and help others with their training.
Like for example the sherdog.net training log forums which is actually the best part of sherdog.net.
Posts in the log section wouldn't add to your post count so you could update your log as many times as you like without feeling like a post whore.

I've sent this suggestion a few times to the staff and I havn't got an answer yet so I'm just curious what ya'll thinking?
three_days_of_grey
8/23/07 3:16:00PM
Svartorm had a post that pertains to this regarding someone being potentially harmed by unqualified/misguided advice.

http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic8757-1.html

-OUT-
Svartorm
8/23/07 4:12:57PM
A training log as in you post what you've been doing for training over the last few days? If enough people are interested, let me know and I'll just sticky a thread and you guys can all post in that.

And three_days_of_grey, thats not what the rule pertains to. Hes talking about listing his workout, and giving advice on other peoples workouts. It doesn't cross into that area until someone starts giving bad workout advice.

"You should try to benchpress 700lbs without a spotter." and the like.
Rush
8/23/07 5:08:04PM
I'm not really training for MMA competition so I don't really want to say yes because I probably not use it. Though I do train like I am doing MMA(sometimes). I don't want to vote no because I know it would be beneficial to other people.

Stickan
8/23/07 6:21:38PM

Posted by Svartorm

A training log as in you post what you've been doing for training over the last few days? If enough people are interested, let me know and I'll just sticky a thread and you guys can all post in that.

And three_days_of_grey, thats not what the rule pertains to. Hes talking about listing his workout, and giving advice on other peoples workouts. It doesn't cross into that area until someone starts giving bad workout advice.

"You should try to benchpress 700lbs without a spotter." and the like.

Yes Svartorm that's exactly what I'm talking about. For example someone makes a thread that they call "Hula Hula´s thaiboxing, weight lifting and nutrition log" where he lists the training he's done that day and what he has eaten.
Some people like to do more detailed logs and some like to keep it simple.

I think it would be perfect if it was like a section within the "MMA training" forums if you know what I mean. Here's a great example of what I'm talking about...

Thanks for considering the idea Orm.
Svartorm
8/23/07 6:40:13PM
Thats a good idea. I can't do anything about making it a seperate section, but for the meantime, anyone that would be interested in participating or reading these, just post in this thread. If theres enough interest, the boss man might be persuaded to make a section for this. If its only a few people, I could sticky a thread weekly and that would save the logs. When the week is done, I could unsticky it and make a new one. I think this would be good for me as well, as it would keep me modivated during the off season. I only fight in the summer, so I tend to get a bit lazy during the fall and winter.
Stickan
8/27/07 7:30:44PM
Okay I'll just go ahead use this thread as my training log for now ..

Today was my first time lifting weights in a month or two due to an injured shoulder so I took it pretty easy.
I lift in kilo grams so you know if the pounds look strange.

Monday 27/8-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Bench press: 6x3 on 225lbs, 5x1 on 231lbs
Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 8x2 with the 71lbs dumbells, 6x1 with the 77lbs.
Military Press: 6x3 on 126lbs
Cable Flies: 8x3 with 99lbs on each side.

Eating:
I'm trying to just eat as much as possible at the moment so I'm not really worrying about what I eat as long as I eat enough of it. I won't gain weight anyway . Today I didn't eat as much as I'd like to though, mainly because of lack of time but hopefully I'll make up for that tomorrow.

Sleep:
Slept a good 9 hours. No complaints here.

Stretching:
This is definately something I need to get better at. Stretched for a total of 10 minutes today .

Tomorrow is MMA day
Svartorm
8/28/07 2:25:23AM

Posted by Stickan
Eating:
I'm trying to just eat as much as possible at the moment so I'm not really worrying about what I eat as long as I eat enough of it. I won't gain weight anyway . Today I didn't eat as much as I'd like to though, mainly because of lack of time but hopefully I'll make up for that tomorrow.

That and Swedish food is gross. Thats right, I said it.

Didn't do any training today. I had a friend down this weekend to work with and we worked takedowns and takedown defense, then had a few sub grappling matches, so I'm pretty beat today. I should be hitting the gym tomorrow if I can move my arms by then.
Stickan
8/28/07 4:12:46AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Stickan
Eating:

That and Swedish food is gross. Thats right, I said it.

Hahaha. My two main meals yesterday was pizza from a libanese pizza place and lasagna from an italian place so I wasn't being very swedish anyway I guess. Thank god for all these immigrants ...
Svartorm
8/28/07 4:36:37AM
Gamla Stan Pizza is the best place I ran into in your neck of the woods. Other than that I usually just eat at that greek place near Hertorget, or some fish and chip joint on Drotniggatan (I probably spelled both of those places wrong. ). Thats actually the hardest part of travelling for me is finding food I like, because everything tastes so different.
Stickan
8/29/07 3:26:06PM

Posted by Svartorm

Gamla Stan Pizza is the best place I ran into in your neck of the woods. Other than that I usually just eat at that greek place near Hertorget, or some fish and chip joint on Drotniggatan (I probably spelled both of those places wrong. ). Thats actually the hardest part of travelling for me is finding food I like, because everything tastes so different.

Nah you were almost right. It's Hötorget which sounds almost exactly like Hertorget and it's Drottninggatan (which you english speaking people would probably seperate into two words like drottning gatan since it means queen street basically). I'm impressed that you don't say Old Town about Gamla Stan because that's what the tourist info places want the tourists to call it. I guess in a few years every major part of Stockholm and Sweden will be in english .
Next time you're in Sweden I'll try to find some good food places for you but as you probably know by now, we don't get nearly as much food on our plates as you guys in the US get .
Stickan
8/29/07 4:08:28PM
Tuesday 28/8-07

I havn't been training MMA for about 8 months because of a shoulder injury and because work and studies got in the way so this was my second training in a long time. I got thrown right back into the advanced group so I expected to get my ass handed to me this session.

Feel free to give advice or tips if you want to.

Striking:
We did some stand-up sparring with takedowns incorporated and it went pretty good. I got as good boxing technique as when I quit basically because I've been doing a lot of mitts work lately but my condition in my shoulders and my hand speed wasn't up to par to what I'm used to.
I've been lifting weights pretty much this last year so my muscles were pretty tense and I got tired fast and even though I was explosive as hell the first few minutes, I quickly gassed. That's something I need to work on but I'm used to getting back in shape pretty quickly so that shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Wrestling:
I've always hated the upper-body clinch wrestling but that went pretty smoothly today and I kept my balance really good this time.

Submissions:
We played a lot from the butterfly guard and that's really an area on the ground I really need to work on. My strength kept me in the game against most of my opponents but a few of the guys who used to be in the same group as me has surpassed me technique-wise. I gotta keep training hard now so I can run them over like I used to.
We sparred a few rounds and with the three opponents I got, I went 2-1 in submissions. A guy who out-weighed me by about 40 pounds threw me around, cranked my neck like a mad man and with about 5 secs to go sunk in the RNC on me.
Then I went up against this BJJ guy from New Zealand about the same weight as me who had really really great positions and it was impossible to get him off me. It ended with me turtling and defending against the rear naked.
The last guy I faced was a bit bigger than me. He muscled me around a bit so I relaxed and caught him in a triangle when he tried to pass. When we started over I got the sidemounts and got an americana on him pretty quickly.

To sum it up it felt like a great training even though my technique was a bit rusty.

Weight: 185lbs

Eating: Great.

Sleep: 8h which is good.

Stretching: 10 minutes
Jackelope
8/29/07 4:15:15PM
Keep it up I enjoyed reading it
Stickan
8/29/07 5:05:22PM
Wednesday 29/8-07
Pretty much all grappling today. A lot of Joe Stevensonesque technique drills today like guillotine from butterfly and stuff like that.

Submissions:
Of course we did some rolling in the end. Caught the first guy (surprisingly) with a RNC pretty fast and continued to pretty much maul him for the rest of the round. This was surprising since he's a tough dude who I was usually very even with when I used to train regurarely.
Next guy was a pack of muscle. He toyed me around a bit, I turltled and pulled a switch (i think it's called in english?!) and got on top of him. Quickly passed to side and got mount. From there I did my absolute favorite technique; the step-over triangle. He rolled me over pretty quickly unfortunately but the triangle was already there. He defended well with the arm around my back and I thought about the omo-plata but I did the inverted triangle instead and made him tap.
Next guy was the BJJ guy from New Zealand so I expected a war. It was a back and forth battle and it ended with me Rashad Evansing his takedown attempt for a few mins while he tried to put my back on the floor. I definately did better against him this time than yesterday.
Next dude was a little bigger than me but the big difference was his cardio. I was pretty damn tired and he looked amazingly fresh. He kept me down really long and I turtled to defend but he took my back and tried to find openings for his hooks for a long ass time. It was tough as hell but I finally managed to get on top of him and pull off the americana.
The last guy was a big dude I used to train with a lot. Pretty short but really really strong. I got top position but got reversed pretty quickly. When he tried to pass I saw my opening and got the triangle. As the other dude, he defended well but I inverted it again and got the tap. Just a few seconds after we restarted he wrestled me down (I was tired as hell!) and advanced positions impressingly until he got the straight armbar on me.
So 4-1 for me.
My turtling was better today and I felt pretty comfortable playing from my back. My RNC defence has definately improved.

Weight: 185lbs

Eating: Pretty good.

Sleep: About 8h.

Stretching: None so I have to do some before I go to bed. It's so damn boring though.....
Stickan
8/29/07 5:08:36PM

Posted by Jackelope

Keep it up I enjoyed reading it

Thanks!. I'll try.
Svartorm
8/30/07 12:51:53AM
I had to pay about $8,000 worth of bills yesterday, so I'm financially in no condition to be using gas getting to the gym.

Yesterday I worked on some WW2 Commando bowie knife stuff I learned over the summer. One of the guys I fought this summer learned it in the SEALs and while we were showing each other all the guns and weapons we had, he saw my puukko (a Finnish knife), and showed me how to use it effectively.

I'd only ever learned short blade knife stuff, but bowie knife fighting is entirely different, and theres some really cool movements in there.

Today I did a little bagwork. I work my right jab like crazy, so I did that, plus a jab cross, and then leg kicks with both legs. I didn't want to get too into it as I have to work in the morning and I can't get to sleep after working out hard.
Stickan
8/30/07 4:54:19AM
Thursday 30/8-07

Back, Trapz:
Deadlifts: 6x1 on 287lbs, 6x1 on 243lbs
Pulldowns behind neck: 6x1 on 209lbs, 6x3 on 198lbs
Row in machine with back stationary: 6x1 on 176lbs, 6x1 on 198, 8x1 on 209lbs
Trapz with bar: 6x4 with 198lbs

Went terrible today. Gave up on the deadlifts. I was probably too tired in my lower back from yesterdays training and I went to the gym 7 am which is a time I usually never train at.

Eating: So far so good.

Sleep: 6h. Way too little.

Stretching: None so far. I'll update as the day progresses.
Stickan
8/30/07 4:57:08AM
btw. I'd love to hear an explanation from anybody who voted "no" on the poll question. Why not?
Stickan
8/31/07 2:06:03PM
Friday 31/8-07

Biceps, Triceps:
Regular bicep curls: 12x3, 14x1 with 44lbs dumbells
French tricep curls with bar: 8x2, 7x1 on 104lbs
One-handed cable curls: 6x1, 7x2 on 77lbs
Push-downs in lats machine: 4x1 on 99, 8x2 on 88
Bicep curls with bar: 6x2 on 104lbs.

Eating: No appetite today. I have no idea why but I'll press down as much as I can later today.

Sleep: Great. 7h and a ½h siesta a few hours ago.

Stretching: 15 minutes.

My left hand wrist is messed up at the moment for no reason. I hope it heals until tomorrow´s MMA practice. Overall my joints feel a little tender. Hopefully my body will soon adjust to my new training regimen.
fedorwins1
8/31/07 2:38:03PM
Yesterday:
MMA class, 1 hour long, 20 minutes of sparring.
Food: Had school lunch, not the best I know, it was pizza...Had chili for dinner also.

Today:
I'm going to BJJ class and it's 2 1/2 hour class focused on conditioning.
Food: Pancakes so far....

My goals are to start running again and the school weight room opens on September 11, so hopefully my overall fitness will improve.

Stickan
9/1/07 12:50:31PM
Saturday 1/9-07

I tried to train but couldn't train longer than 20 minutes before my left hand wrist hurt too much. I can't rotate my left arm and I certainly can't put any pressure on it. I'm incredibly frustrated now as I had just gotten into MMA training again and it's so damn fun it's killing me having to sit out on practice.
I went running in the woods for an hour instead.
Stickan
9/2/07 1:50:48PM
Sunday 2/9-07

Legs, Abs, Neck:
Squats: 6x3 on 203lbs and 4x1 on 209lbs
Lunges: 12x2 with 49lbs dumbells
Front leg curls: 12x3 on 66
Sit-ups: 3 sets
Leg lifts: 3 sets
Bridges on neck: 8x1 with 44lbs on me, 12x2 with 22lbs on me
Calf in machine: 20x3 on 220lbs

Eating Not good at all. Too little.

Sleep 8h.

Stretching 10 mins.
Stickan
9/3/07 6:30:22PM
Monday 3/9-07

Chest, Shoulders:
Bench press: 6x3 on 225 (1 set less)
Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 8x2 with 71lbs dumbells, 6x1 with 77lbs.
Cable Flies: 8x2 with 110lbs on each side and 10x1 with 99lbs (11lbs more)
Military Press: 6x3 on 127 lbs

Eating: Terrible. I felt that's why I couldn't perform my best at the gym today.

Sleep: Good 8h.

Stretching: Actually pretty good. 15 mins.
bayonetxwork
9/3/07 7:17:17PM
Sounds like an awesome idea to me
Svartorm
9/4/07 4:06:21AM
I've been working like crazy, so I haven't been doing too much. Managed to get in some sword practice today, but thats about it. I'm doing grappling again this weekend with at least one guy, if not more, so that'll be good.
Svartorm
9/6/07 3:20:41AM
I did some light sparring today after the WEC event. I rolled with my friend Zach, who isn't bad at grappling, but I've got 80lbs on him and taught him everything he knows, so I'm in little danger when we grapple. I use the opportunity to try exotic submissions that I've been working on, as I love exotics when I roll with BJJ guys. The lower level BJJ guys I've rolled with tend to freeze up if you can catch them in something they've never seen before (the higher ranked ones are generally too innovative to be bothered by this), and if I can't pull an exotic sub off on someone 80lbs lighter and less skilled, its not worth pursuiting.

I finished the first match in less than a minute with a D'arce choke, which I'm starting to really like as I prefer side mount, and this is a great one for someone trying to shrimp away from you and regain guard. It works well for me because I have short arms, so once its on, its on tight.

Second match I took in about a minute with a kimura, but on someone in a backride. I'd never try this on someone my own size, but I can stop an RNC on a smaller person by holding one wrist, and managed to get an odd kimura out of it but trapping the upper arm and pulling the elbow into me while twisting the wrist. Not going to bother working this one.

The third match I finished in about two minutes with a triangle from the top. I've been goofing around with the rubber guard, and while I'm not flexible enough at the moment to make much use of it, if I can manage to sweep someone in my guard, I can clear an arm and throw the leg over the shoulder as the person rolls, then hook in a triangle. At least thats the theory, which worked tonight. I'll have to try it on someone my own size and go from there.

Forth match was about three minutes as I had pulled guard to work the rubber guard a bit more, but couldn't do much with it so I finished with a combination scarf choke neck crank. I trapped the head and arm against my chest, swept, and secured the scarf choke while rolling, then went for a neck crank. I've gotten scarf chokes to work on guys my size, at least as a stalling technique, but I'm thinking the neck crank would be next to impossible.

Fifth and final match was another three minutes after pulling guard. This time I was trying to work a double armbar, but don't have the flexablitly for it, so I ended up with a pluto armbar which Jeff Curran illustrated in an issue of Bodyguard magazine. With the amount of trouble I had getting it, and the amount of subs I passed up going for it, I'm going to leave this one alone, as it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

Overall a fun night. I should be rolling with a heavyweight this weekend if all goes well, and possibly my older brother, which will actually be a challenge.
Stickan
9/6/07 6:18:50PM
I couldn't train MMA Tuesday or Wednesday due to my wrist so I went to the gym and lifted some weights Wednesday and the results of that training wasn't even worth mentioning.
I don't know what's wrong with my hand. I can't turn my palm fully upwards and I can't turn it fully downwards.

Today, Thursday I went for a run. My recovery after running my first lap felt awesome so I did some HIIT in an uphill slope.

Tomorrow is back-day with deadlifts and everything so I hope my hand feels a lot better by then.
Jackelope
9/7/07 12:21:10AM
Stickan are you experiencing joint swelling or is it more muscle strain related? I'd get that wrist checked out, man. You make it sound bad.

I wish I was a physical therapist, but as an EMT it's hard for me to make the call on what it sounds like it could be. Also, do you know when the injury originally occured? Or did you just wake up one day with it?
Stickan
9/7/07 3:49:24AM

Posted by Jackelope

Stickan are you experiencing joint swelling or is it more muscle strain related? I'd get that wrist checked out, man. You make it sound bad.

I wish I was a physical therapist, but as an EMT it's hard for me to make the call on what it sounds like it could be. Also, do you know when the injury originally occured? Or did you just wake up one day with it?

I probably make it sound worse than it is. It's not swollen and I don't think it's anything that serious but it hurts like hell and I can't grapple.
I woke up with it the day after a hard sparring session and my first thought was that it hurt on the exact same spot as where I had a fracture a few years ago.
I will check it out on monday. I really really miss the MMA training.
Stickan
9/7/07 2:11:43PM
Today I got some painkillers from a friend to stop the wrist from bothering me in training and it went pretty good.

Back, Neck:
Deadlifts: 6x3 on 287lbs (2 sets more)
Pulldowns behind neck: 6x3 on 209lbs (2 more sets)
Row in machine with back stationary: 6x3 on 198 (11 lbs less)
Unnamed dumbell exercise: 10x3 with 33lbs dumbells
Neck bridges: 10x3 with 33lbs on me (11 lbs more)

btw. Does anyone know any good trapz exercises?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4