Training beginning

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Training beginning
POLL: How should I begin MMA training?
MMA classes 30% (7)
Judo classes 9% (2)
Wrestling classes 17% (4)
BBJ classes 43% (10)
Other (only if you think it could be better than any of the above) 0% (0)
Pitbull09
5/3/08 1:09:10AM
So summers getting close and Im finally planning to begin working up to amatuer mma. I dont know if its obvious or not but should I go train at a specific style school or just begin altogether at an MMA gym? My choices around here are wrestling, BJJ, Judo, and MMA.

So can anyone give me suggestions to whats my best option.
Ordep
5/3/08 2:34:05AM
Usually MMA gyms have scheduled weekly programs where they teach one discipline per session, then when they think you're ready they invite you to start MMA itself. Check how the one you're planning to attend works.
jae_1833
5/3/08 2:00:05PM
Remember this all kind of depends on your own experience with the other disciplines and your own natural skills. If you have 3 years of wrestling (H.S. or whatever) then you should take some Judo/BJJ to even yourself out a bit. If you are inclined to stand up and throw hands all the time then maybe you should take some Kickboxing classes to learn the rest of the stiking game you know?? Regardless I wish you good luck on your new path!!!
Jackelope
5/3/08 4:38:57PM
Yeah it seems like we've seen this same kind of post time and again on this forum. Mind you, I'm not flaming the post, just saying.

From what I can recall the jury is still out on what's the best. Really I don't even feel like there should be a jury on the matter. For my money, I go with what I enjoy. Of course there's certain styles that are more friendly to certain body types, but I really don't feel that you should limit yourself to one or another based on anything other than what is available in the area. Even if by the "book" your body type isn't friendly to the style, that makes for an interesting chance to improvise and bring something new to the game.

Plus, there's guys like Doug Marshall who are short and stocky but have made a career out of being a great striker.

To make a long winded post much shorter- Basically just go with what seems the most fun and build off of that. You're not likely to stay committed unless you're having a good time with it. Just get out there and start kicking ass.
seanfu
5/4/08 3:48:59AM
I'm a wrestler and I see it as the best base but really if you missed it in highschool I would say BJJ is a very solid foundation. Judo is not a very good single style and Judo is all gis so I would stay away until you have something solid.

Boxing is a good option I would say, not because it is a good transition style but you can build goos reflexes and head movement.

Muay Thai is good depending on where you're located, very few cage fighters are trully skilled in the standup range and when someone skilled grabs that plum a lot of times there is no answer. I've seen good striking in ring fighters but that might have been a coincidence due to the Brazilians primarily competing in Pride.

Wrestling is good but you should just find someone who is a good wrestler and get in the cage with them and learn from there.

bustin_mma
5/5/08 11:09:29PM
as a fighter i would say go to an mma gym and train your wrestling and jiu jitsu first. then learn the striking muay thai, boxing. wrestling is the strongest base in mma because it allows you to dictate where the fight goes, makes for good plan b type fights
fullerene
5/6/08 8:52:30AM
The thread that is stickied in this forum, particularly the posts by Omega and Svartom, is one of the best I've seen on the subject. I know you're looking for an easy answer like "take BJJ and then take Muay Thai", but there are things more important than style. The biggest obstacle any new fighter has to overcome is sticking with their training so you have to find a school where you will do that which means the style, instructor, class schedule, gym location, availability, attitude and quality of sparring partners, etc. all have to be taken into consideration. It's tough to give advice over the internet without visiting the schools that are in your area--something you should definitely be doing.
The-Don
5/7/08 7:36:23PM
yea I cannot add much to the previous post. Best thing to do is find a school you feel comfortable... as for the style.. I'd suggest an MMA school just cause you'll have access to both stand up and ground skills... that does not mean do not look else where for other styles you never know what you will find that will help your skills or you will enjoy. or set you apart from other fighters. remember MMA is not just Muay Thai and BJJ.
Guru
6/4/08 12:56:22PM
The way i see it, Some Of The Best Fighters Are Wrestlers , Hand skill is easier than most think to develop. sprawling and wrestling correctly take a lot of practice and time. nevermind getting into Jits and Subs. though i belive that wrestling (even the basics) are of the upmost importance to a be a good fighter. not knowing how to sprawl in mma is like not knowing how to kick in TKD... (IMHO)