Trainer: Georges St. Pierre has better MMA jiu-jitsu than BJ Penn (Video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Trainer: Georges St. Pierre has better MMA jiu-jitsu than BJ Penn (Video)
SmileR
11/8/08 11:56:59AM
Good watch, heres the Link

Sorry if this ha been posted I'v been really busy as of late.
nickcuc547
11/8/08 12:49:38PM
no he doesn't.
jiujitsufreak74
11/8/08 12:54:18PM
only one way to find out i guess...
dannyfrank
11/8/08 1:07:22PM
WAR GSP!!!
Chuteboxer
11/8/08 1:44:31PM
Anyone who implies that GSP has better bjj and BJ really really needs to rethink their life.
Bowen50
11/8/08 1:47:45PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

Anyone who implies that GSP has better bjj and BJ really really needs to rethink their life.

they're not implying he has better pure BJJ than Penn, they're saying his BJJ is better adapted for MMA than Penn. not saying i agree just saying he's not implying GSP has better pure BJJ skills.
GSPwnzore
11/8/08 2:00:17PM
It's not absurd. Hes the only person to ever pass john Fitche's guard in the UFC. And I'll agree there is a difference between pure jiu-jitsu and that used in MMA. The same goes for wrestling and different types of striking. This is how he was able to out wrestle koschek. One of the reasons BJ is so good at jiu-jitsu is his flexibility but GSP will be much stronger in the fight and that does count for something. I think GSP takes it but it'll be a great fight.
MMAcca
11/8/08 2:00:56PM
at this thread
tuvok500
11/8/08 2:02:43PM
GSP by flying armbar !!!

WAR GSP !!!

gartface
11/8/08 2:22:26PM

Posted by MMAcca

at this thread

Matimus
11/8/08 2:22:35PM
If GSP's jiu jitsu is better then BJ Penns, then my standup is better then Anderson Silvas.

Better wrestler yes, better at combining wrestling and jiu jitsu to adapt to the situation yes, but his JJ is not better
Naturaldisaster
11/8/08 2:44:31PM
BJJ might not even be a factor in this fight. BJ kept it standin the whole time in his fight with sherk. if thats the case this time, i think GSP will tear him apart on the feet. GSP has grown in leaps and bounds since their last fight. Penns boxing is alot better now to but I think GSP has the better stand up.

WAR GSP!
Aaronno9
11/8/08 2:53:56PM
See, i think that one of B.Js main strengths is not is bjj as such, more how well hes adapted it into his mma game. Its the same with GSP and his wrestling, hes probably not as good a pure wrestler as Koscheck for instance, but in terms off mma he has the best wrestling around imo.

Ben_Hutch
11/8/08 4:02:33PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

And anyone who can't read "really really needs to rethink their life"
postman
11/8/08 4:28:00PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

BJJ might not even be a factor in this fight. BJ kept it standin the whole time in his fight with sherk. if thats the case this time, i think GSP will tear him apart on the feet. GSP has grown in leaps and bounds since their last fight. Penns boxing is alot better now to but I think GSP has the better stand up.

WAR GSP!

I don't know since the first Serra fight GSP has wanted to do much with the stand up. Bj is real tough to take down but GSP has Awesome takedowns Its going to be alot of fun to watch this fight.
MMAcca
11/8/08 4:59:37PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by Chuteboxer

And anyone who can't read "really really needs to rethink their life"

Ordep
11/8/08 5:07:08PM

I wanted BJ to win by decision to enjoy 5 rds but now I want him to land a Triangle Choke.
Shawn17
11/8/08 5:58:16PM
is this thread a joke?? penn is light years ahead of him.
bls1919
11/8/08 7:29:34PM
Funny thing i thought that was the only part of the fight game that BJ was better than Georges
IriShame
11/9/08 11:43:19AM
Let's be honest. BJ has the best BJJ in the sport, period. Adapted to MMA or not I fail to see how GSP could even hold a candle to Penn. He's a black belt that submits other black belts. Simply world class.
KipDynamite
11/9/08 1:49:44PM
BJ stands and beats him............AGAIN
xAcidburNx
11/9/08 2:14:01PM
i think the conception of him having better bjj is the wrong way to put it. bj penn has better bjj but because of all of georges talents with the wrestling takedowns,gnp, and submissions. it makes george come out on top with the better overall ground game
JimiMak
11/9/08 2:50:14PM
I didn't have to do any more than read the title: this guy is off his rocker.
ncordless
11/9/08 2:50:59PM

Posted by IriShame

Let's be honest. BJ has the best BJJ in the sport, period. Adapted to MMA or not I fail to see how GSP could even hold a candle to Penn. He's a black belt that submits other black belts. Simply world class.

Not true. In terms of BJJ there are several fighters who have far superior credentials. Bj and and Gabe Gonzaga have similar credentials. Really BJ's biggest claim to fame in BJJ is to be among the first non-brazilians to reach the top.
JimiMak
11/11/08 6:12:39PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by IriShame

Not true. In terms of BJJ there are several fighters who have far superior credentials. Bj and and Gabe Gonzaga have similar credentials. Really BJ's biggest claim to fame in BJJ is to be among the first non-brazilians to reach the top.

and being the only person to ever win mundials and have not one opponent score one point on him the whole tourney, just an example of how that is not true. IriShame was right on. No one in the sport, esp GSP, holds a candle to him right now.
xAcidburNx
11/11/08 6:25:04PM
youll all see. gsp will work bj way too hard for him to handle and once that happens hes gonna take advantage. bj will not be knocked out but i can see him losing by rnc in the fourth. sounds far fetched but i can see it happening. as good as his td defense is it wont stand a chance against gsp's superior skills
haggiswashere
11/11/08 7:08:56PM

Posted by IriShame

whoa when did joe rogan start an account here!?
EvenFlow
11/11/08 7:15:42PM

Posted by GSPwnzore

It's not absurd. Hes the only person to ever pass john Fitche's guard in the UFC. And I'll agree there is a difference between pure jiu-jitsu and that used in MMA. The same goes for wrestling and different types of striking. This is how he was able to out wrestle koschek. One of the reasons BJ is so good at jiu-jitsu is his flexibility but GSP will be much stronger in the fight and that does count for something. I think GSP takes it but it'll be a great fight.

BJ would pass Fitchs guard too, whats your point?

I seriously cant wait for this fight tho, almost as big for me as Wand vs Page 3.