UFC Tournaments

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Tournaments
POLL: Would you like the idea of a UFC live tournament?
Best idea ever 22% (9)
o god please no 27% (11)
sounds good if its free to watch 7% (3)
i think it could be amazing if planned well 44% (18)
miphi1991
11/27/08 10:55:54PM
Am I the only on who wants to see the UFC start to put on some old school MMA tournaments? Nowadays you only seem to find events like these in small, untelevised, and often unskilled promotions. Is there anyone else drooling at the idea of a live LHW tournament including Anderson Silva, Wandy, Chuck, Rampage, Randy, Forrest, Rashad, Machida and who ever else has the credintials to get in that I may have missed? Let me know what you guys think and any ideas anyone has on possible formats. Get creative (no weight-limits? )
RNC
11/27/08 11:08:23PM
This would be a fantastic thing to watch but a terrible thing for the sport. Although, yes, it would be very interesting as a viewer, watching all your favorite fighters fight back to back in a tourney, it would completely kill MMA's legitimacy.

The UFC has worked hard to drop the barbaric human cockfighting image that it once had. What really helped it was that the UFC started planning fights months and months apart, giving the fighters time to get healthy and train efficiently. If they started going back to tournaments, having fighters fight three, four, five times within an hour or two, that image would be completely reversed.

If it could happen for ***** and giggles and not hurt MMA, then yes, I would love to see it. However, as a fan of MMA, and someone who wants to see it become the largest sport in the world, I would hate to see it ever happen because of the set backs it would cause.

The state athletic commision would never go for it anyway.
cmb19932
11/27/08 11:11:03PM
bout the athletic comision part at least
miphi1991
11/27/08 11:32:00PM
RNC I see where you are coming from, but I have to disagree with you. Tournaments are an intricle part of combat sports. Sure they are challenging and present certain problems for the UFC to deal with. In wrestling there are huge 32 man bracket tournaments that wrestle all the way to the 6th place meaning sometimes you have 5 or more matches. Obviously not going to work for MMA. But a smaller, single elimination tournament seems to me both plausable and exciting.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/27/08 11:57:02PM

Posted by miphi1991

RNC I see where you are coming from, but I have to disagree with you. Tournaments are an intricle part of combat sports. Sure they are challenging and present certain problems for the UFC to deal with. In wrestling there are huge 32 man bracket tournaments that wrestle all the way to the 6th place meaning sometimes you have 5 or more matches. Obviously not going to work for MMA. But a smaller, single elimination tournament seems to me both plausable and exciting.

I just hope they would have it set a little differently than Pride did. I enjoyed the older UFC tourneys much more than the Pride tourneys.
miphi1991
11/27/08 11:59:29PM
How would you set it up bonkers?
Jackelope
11/28/08 12:08:30AM
I can't see athletic commissions buying into the tournaments on US soil. Too much to risk as far as injuries go. Most athletic commissions suspend guys from contact for a couple weeks regardless of how the fight went anyway.
miphi1991
11/28/08 12:11:08AM
Who says it has to be in the US? Maybe a UFC Tournament is how the UFC brings their fighters into Japan's MMA fanbase?
soundboy1
11/28/08 12:13:19AM
This is the main reason I was upset that PRIDE was dissolved. I love tournaments! They are the root of the sport and really separate the men from the boys. Here's how I would do it..

There would be three weight classes 170 and under, 171-205 ,206-up

some sort of qualifying event would determine 8 fighters. It could be newcomers or veterans who were about to get booted.
The first round would be all 2 round fights. the winners of those fights would fight each other in three round fights.

Then the champion fight would be the headliner of the next tournament.....

If you couldn't do it in the US do it somewhere else...I also don't think it would hurt the reputation of the sport, I feel like MMA is part of the public awareness and is not going anywhere.
miphi1991
11/28/08 12:26:14AM
I like it I like it, and agreed as far as PRIDE. The shortened rounds make sense, and agreed that they are what shows the true heart of the fighters. Getting back into the cage after a fight shows who has balls and who doesn't. Then maybe the championship fight could be a headliner after the main tourney?
haggiswashere
11/28/08 12:54:45AM
I would love to see a tourny with the TUF format but with established fighters.
Wolfenstein
11/28/08 3:55:37AM
I don't like it as I like to see fresh fighters fight as opposed to tired sloppy fighters. I also hate to see one fighter at a distinct disadvantage because he had a longer fight than his opponent.

On the bright side not as many fighters play it "safe".
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/28/08 7:27:22AM

Posted by miphi1991

How would you set it up bonkers?

1 fifteen minute round, no stand-ups, 32 fighters start just like on TUF, but they keep fighting everybody in the same night until 1 is left

i understand injuries happen and things, but the guys lined up to fight the injured fighters in the brackets would just get a "bye" just like they used to do it

I understand not many ppl will agree with me and thats ok, this is just my opinion
DCRage
11/28/08 7:30:40AM

Posted by Jackelope

I can't see athletic commissions buying into the tournaments on US soil. Too much to risk as far as injuries go. Most athletic commissions suspend guys from contact for a couple weeks regardless of how the fight went anyway.

Don't forget that Strikeforce was able to do one either earlier this year or last year-their "Four Men Enter, One Man Survives" one-night tournament.
mrsmiley
11/28/08 8:58:51AM
I think Tournements were the best thing MMA had going for it.
I mean,at least you always knew were a fighter stood in a tournement setting.
When you just go match by match,the landscape can get kind of hazey.

I think with Tourneys,it was easier to set up rankings,and fight out just how much heart a fighter hand.Sure,they had some problems with tournement styles themselves,but I think it says much more for a fighter when they when a championship belt,via tournement rather than winning a single match.
king_katool
11/28/08 9:59:57AM
the big problem every1 has with tournaments it seems is fighters fighting more then one per night, but why cant we have a tourny like the one going one right now, IMO it would be PERFECT for the LHW division and would stop all the debates on who should get the shot

heres my example

UFC 94:#1thiago silva vs Machida
#2Rampage vs rashad
#3forrest vs wandy
#4luis cane vs shogun

UFC97 Winner #1 vs winner #4
Winner#2 vs winner #3

UFC100
5 round undisputed LHW championship fight with no1 bithcing about who deserves it cuz they fought for it...IMO this would be HUGE
MMA_Alex
11/28/08 10:19:04AM

Posted by king_katool

the big problem every1 has with tournaments it seems is fighters fighting more then one per night, but why cant we have a tourny like the one going one right now, IMO it would be PERFECT for the LHW division and would stop all the debates on who should get the shot

heres my example

UFC 94:#1thiago silva vs Machida
#2Rampage vs rashad
#3forrest vs wandy
#4luis cane vs shogun

UFC97 Winner #1 vs winner #4
Winner#2 vs winner #3

UFC100
5 round undisputed LHW championship fight with no1 bithcing about who deserves it cuz they fought for it...IMO this would be HUGE

If there was going to be a tournament, that's exactly how I'd want to see it: spread out so no one has to fight more than once in one night.
miphi1991
11/28/08 10:56:20AM
Why are people against fighters performing more than once a night? That would show the true metal of the man. It would throw in an unknown factor as to who you will be fighting next as well so gameplanning would have to be on the fly. I think fighting more than once a night would show us who the really good fighters actually are. Also I feel like the current UFC format is getting a bit stale. 92,93,94,95,96
bls1919
11/28/08 9:14:52PM
ther it was i finally went completely insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
soundboy1
11/28/08 9:36:35PM

Posted by bls1919

I know man I really wish they brought back tournaments too.....
miphi1991
11/28/08 10:21:58PM

Posted by bls1919

wait insane over what?
bls1919
11/29/08 7:59:58AM
This topic has been beat to death on this site.
soundboy1
11/29/08 8:56:48AM

Posted by bls1919

This topic has been beat to death on this site.

For me this topic will never die. I am gung-ho on tournaments.
prozacnation1978
11/29/08 10:11:48AM
what do you think the ultimate fighter is??

a tournament where th winner gets a contract and alot of name recognition
soundboy1
11/29/08 11:24:01AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

what do you think the ultimate fighter is??

a tournament where th winner gets a contract and alot of name recognition

TUF is a tournament and its ok. I just want to see established fighters fighting in the traditional tourney format.2 fights or more in the same. night. I just find it to be really exciting. It's a way to really see who is the best in a weight class on a given day. I feel like it would get rid of the pretenders and let new talent shine. And obviously a lot of people feel this way. I think this would be the best way for an upstart mma org. to make an impact in this market....
miphi1991
11/29/08 3:43:33PM

Posted by soundboy1

For me this topic will never die. I am gung-ho on tournaments.

Amen brother!