"The Tough Task of Finding Anderson Silva a Worthy Opponent"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » "The Tough Task of Finding Anderson Silva a Worthy Opponent"
POLL: Who should Silva face next?
GSP (if he beats Alves) 12% (7)
A top 10 LHW 30% (18)
Yushin Okami 25% (15)
Demian Maia 13% (8)
Nate Marquardt 13% (8)
Other 7% (4)
FedortoAll
4/22/09 4:31:21PM

Who will it take to make "The Spider" show up?

Like many of you, I approached the Anderson Silva/Thales Leites fight with the expectation that Thales was going to get destroyed. However, while he was clearly outclassed, it wasn’t exactly in the form I had in mind, leaving me in sheer disgust at what the UFC had deemed its “main event”. While many people are arguing about whether it was Anderson’s fault for not being aggressive in certain positions, or Thales’ for repeatedly dropping to his back as a form of offense, I’m more interested in raising another point.

Here's the rest of the article!

I'd like to see Silva fight Okami, but after Leites I doubt the UFC would take the risk of another boring fight.. although I believe he's deserving. I think the author's right though when he suggests Silva should take on a LHW until the MW division sorts itself out.

BRING ON SEXYAMA!!!
LakieMan
4/22/09 5:11:01PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Maia in there but he is a submission fighter like Thales so I dont know, he needs to go to LHW for now.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/22/09 5:29:33PM
Okami if he beats Miller and if he loses then Maia
FedortoAll
4/22/09 5:40:38PM

Posted by LakieMan

I wouldnt mind seeing Maia in there but he is a submission fighter like Thales so I dont know, he needs to go to LHW for now.

My main qualm with this, is that Maia is a completely different grappler than Thales. Thales' ground game was grossly over-rated by Rogan and the UFC to create hype, Maia's on a completely different level and he works better from all positions IMO.
cloppio
4/22/09 6:45:48PM
i really wouldn't mind seeing him face dan henderson again. or for that matter a healthy patrick cote.

i did vote for a top 10 Lhw. he has expressed the need for serious challenges. give him a jardine/ hammil/bisbing or maybe rua. needless to say a "name" at 205. i think this would be a better match up/challenge than a gsp fight. now here me out. gsp is AMAZING! i have extreme respect for his skills but i think anderson might just be a bit much. i think andersons length will help him stay away from gsp take downs. lets say gsp does get him down, he's not called the spyder for nothing. we all know how sick he is on the ground. final point on gsp. first get through alves, then maybe test the waters at 185. i'm not a fan of stepping right into a title fight in another weight class just because you have a belt elsewhere in the ufc. i feel it sets back the rightful challengers. there it is...long winded i know, but thanks for reading my opinion, and that's all it is, my opinion. cheers!
soundboy1
4/22/09 7:11:29PM
I would like to see him fight Moussasi(SP?) He is more complete than any other middleweight out there right now.
FedortoAll
4/23/09 1:46:34AM

Posted by soundboy1

I would like to see him fight Moussasi(SP?) He is more complete than any other middleweight out there right now.

Mousasi is sick, but unfortunately he's moving up to LHW to fight Sokoudjou in DREAM, but aiming for HW.
pinoymixplaya
4/23/09 8:07:09AM
I would like to see Yushin Okami get his dues but after the Leites fight I highly doubt this will ever happen any time soon. I would like to see Maia vs. Marquardt to possibly see the next title contender but I think Hendo vs. Bisping will get next shot. I agree with the article that maybe Silva hasn't performed up to par becuz he believes he is the sh** and deserves better opponents.

But that still doesn't mean that Okami doesn't deserve his time to shine. After the Miller fight he should either get a title shot or a top contender like Marquardt, Maia, or the Bisping/Hendo winner...
State_Champ
4/23/09 8:57:18AM
I would love to see Anderson fight a top 10 LHW, meanwhile Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia can fight each other.
gartface
4/23/09 9:48:18AM
Umm...where is the pick for Dan Henderson/Michael Bisping winner? Dan Henderson WILL win if they fight again.
AchillesHeel
4/23/09 10:36:10AM
I don't think fighters should be locked into a single weight class, with one exception: The division champions. As long as Silva is the Middleweight champion, he needs to defend the title. I would support his moving to 205, but only if he gives up the belt.
chickmagnet
4/24/09 12:48:47PM
Luiz Cane. This dude would give Silva a very tough fight. He is a big LHW and exposive. I believe Cane's striking can hang with the best. He has the power to knock anyone out in that division. If they fought at 205, you might see Anderson with a loss on his record, who knows?

But yeah, I heard rumors back before UFC 95 that the main event was posibly going to be Luiz Cane vs. Anderson Silva. It never seemed to happen though.

But this fight would be a very technical brawl. Good Stuff

WAR BANHA
tepid55
4/25/09 1:27:18PM
I think Yushin Okami should get the title shot he's had comming for a long time.
bigbubbano23
4/26/09 1:00:22AM
make mia fight nate for a title shot, while anderson goes up for a fight
Aaronno9
4/26/09 1:15:30AM
If you want to see an exciting fight, just throw freaking Wandy in there! He'll most likely get knokced out, but for the 2-3 minutes hes on his feet he'll most likely make it a hell of an exciting fight.
mentalcase
4/26/09 2:48:28AM
if Rashad retains then give Anderson a LHW title shot he doesn't need to prove **** at LHW he deserves a title shot right away

the only problem with this is that rampage gets next shot

so give him Jardine then give him the LHW champ if its not Machida cause i don't think they will fight each other
lohmann
4/26/09 5:04:09AM
The UFC has on their hands a fighter capable of defeating two other champions. I'd love to see, after defeating Okami and Henderson (again), him go at St. Pierre and then the light heavyweight champion. Should he win both, he would insert himself strongly into a GOAT argument.
HumanTarget
4/29/09 8:52:49AM

Posted by cloppio

i really wouldn't mind seeing him face dan henderson again. or for that matter a healthy patrick cote.

i did vote for a top 10 Lhw. he has expressed the need for serious challenges. give him a jardine/ hammil/bisbing or maybe rua. needless to say a "name" at 205. i think this would be a better match up/challenge than a gsp fight. now here me out. gsp is AMAZING! i have extreme respect for his skills but i think anderson might just be a bit much. i think andersons length will help him stay away from gsp take downs. lets say gsp does get him down, he's not called the spyder for nothing. we all know how sick he is on the ground. final point on gsp. first get through alves, then maybe test the waters at 185. i'm not a fan of stepping right into a title fight in another weight class just because you have a belt elsewhere in the ufc. i feel it sets back the rightful challengers. there it is...long winded i know, but thanks for reading my opinion, and that's all it is, my opinion. cheers!

Patrick cote? PLEASE. Cote was healthy in the fight. He said it himself he could train hard without the knee problem. He didn't throw any offense and was lucky Anderson just didn't kill him.
prozacnation1978
4/29/09 10:11:54AM
right now i am curious

say bisping does beat hendo
no way the spider wil face bisping in late oct with only 2 months rest

if hendo wins i see the match in dec but still u have okami left with maia and marquadt

if anything they should have marquadt and maia the next tuf coaches put them in back burner for now i think they should have had okami face silva instead
AchillesHeel
4/29/09 10:31:24AM
From Yahoo! Sports:

"[Dana White] said Silva will remain middleweight champion and said he thinks there will be viable opponents soon. One would be ex-light heavyweight Michael Bisping, who fights Henderson at UFC 100 in July. If Bisping wins, a Silva-Bisping fight for the title would be a major event.

"And White said he is working on signing another middleweight that he would not name who he said 'would blow your mind.'”

Vitor Belfort, anyone?
Aether
4/30/09 3:39:59AM
I doubt that. When Dana says something will "blow your mind" it's probably just a regular announcement that everyone already expected. I'm guessing Akiyama
Pookie
4/30/09 3:42:32AM

Posted by Aether

I doubt that. When Dana says something will "blow your mind" it's probably just a regular announcement that everyone already expected. I'm guessing Akiyama

Haha true, still akiyama is one talented mofo.
Hendo67
4/30/09 11:14:27AM

Posted by FedortoAll

Posted by soundboy1

Mousasi is sick, but unfortunately he's moving up to LHW to fight Sokoudjou in DREAM, but aiming for HW.

Poor Sokoudjou, what is his management thinking?

Machida, Cane, Babalu, Mousassi? c'mon.