Touching Gloves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Touching Gloves
GrandMaster313
5/30/08 1:05:55AM
I was watching the fight again tonight between Cung Lee and Frank Shamrock and it dawned on me....... what is up with touching gloves so much in a fight. I'm not bashing all fighters for doing this as I know it is a sign of good sportsmanship and respect for the other fighter. However in this particular fight Frank and Cung Lee touched gloves about 12 times!!!!! There were good shots landed by both fighters here and there and then Frank would smile and they would touch gloves again before engaging.

Like I said this happened several times during the fight before the doctor stopped the fight due to Shamrock breaking his arm.

So I ask you guys......

How many times in a fight do you think fighters should touch gloves ?

Do you think organizations should limit fighters to how many times they can do this?

What are your thoughts???
Twenty20Dollars
5/30/08 1:11:36AM
i would say when the ref calls you to the center of the cage, and at the first round and maybe once the rounds start, but anymore than that is not cool, because you are in a fight.

Shamrock i think was just trying to put on a show like WWE stars instead of actually focusing on the fight.
Raykill
5/30/08 1:19:03AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

i would say when the ref calls you to the center of the cage, and at the first round and maybe once the rounds start, but anymore than that is not cool, because you are in a fight.

Shamrock i think was just trying to put on a show like WWE stars instead of actually focusing on the fight.

And paid for it.
bullettdodger
5/30/08 1:22:02AM
Just seems to me if the guys want to touch gloves than more power too em. I'd say at the beginning of every round is fine with me as long as its a pretty good fight. At any rate its between the two guy in the cage and any regulation in anyway shape or form is unneeded.
throwmeahotone
5/30/08 2:18:06AM
what the ***** it matter its their choice not yours, just showing that they respect each other. Damn.
Svartorm
5/30/08 2:21:37AM
I actually think the one time before the fight starts is sufficiant. I don't like the touching at the beginning of each round because a few times I've seen guys charging in to get some momentum on a takedown, and they have to pull up short because the other guy sticks his glove out.

I especially hated it when Lytle and Lawler fought and would high-five every time they hit each other. It breaks up the action and makes it look like two guys roughhousing, rather than a professional fight.
cloppio
5/30/08 3:30:13AM
before the fight...begining of the round if it is a stand up bout. after a f@#k up...(low blow ect) during the match...not a big fan. i gues it's up to the fighters and what they are comfortable with. to each there own.....but i don't think a fighter should pull up from an early take down if his opponent is trying to touch gloves off the bat
Mastodon2
5/30/08 4:30:44AM
Before the fight and at no other time. Once the bell goes, the fight has begun, and if fighters are expected to close the distance to touch gloves in the name of sportmanship then it stops people having the option of running in for a takedown, flying knee, flying elbow etc.
ufcboss
5/30/08 6:22:00AM
I think a touch during the staredown is fine, But once that bell sounds, No more.

Like already mentioned, Touching at the start of rounds, Is a safe way to get in close!

Imagine in a main event for a belt, Lets say GSP Vs Fitch, Round 1 and the bell sounds, GSP puts his arm out for a touch but by that time Fitch is there and catches GSP with a headkick, Knocks out GSP and becomes champ.
Would that be a cheap shot or what?

Thats why I say no touches after the bell, Even after a low blow, Its a (Respectful) Fight, Not a game of patty cakes!
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/30/08 8:52:28AM
i dont think any fighter should touch gloves while the clock is running on their fight unless its an agreed touch between the fight is stopped by accidental low blow, eye poke, etc. that would leave a fighter wanting to show the other fighter it was an accident
emfleek
5/30/08 9:35:59AM
It doesn't bother me. They can pat each other on the ass for all I care. As long as the fight is fun to watch, more power to 'em.
The_Italian_Stallion
5/30/08 10:17:34AM
I think that a fighter should touch gloves when the ref tells them to before the fight... at the beginning of the first round... and any time the fight is paused (for example accidental anything... kicks to groin... eye poking... that nature a fighter should touch gloves as an apology)
pv3Hpv3p
5/30/08 10:32:45AM

Posted by Raykill

And paid for it.

Win or lose, sure made for an exciting fight though... Frank could have dilegantly worked for the TD and the sub, but it seemed like he thought people wanted to see him stand with Cung Le... So he did, and he lost, but that was one of the better fights I've seen this year
Aaronno9
5/30/08 11:58:25AM
They should be able to do it as much as they want. I dont see what the problem is, if you want to go for a flying whatever from the other side of the cage then do it. Just dont be a dick about it like manny when he put his hand up to touch then threw a kick out of nowhere, that was just lame.

Its not like if you've got sombody rocked and they put their hand out to touch but you just finished them off anyways anybody would say anything about it, id probably be more pissed at the other guy for trying to sneak his way out of the situation.
tdietel01
5/30/08 1:59:39PM
I like nothing more than fighters showing respect! i think when the ref tells them and at the beginning of each rd is fine. and of course after an illegal blow. i think if right when the bell rings at the beginning of the rd. people should stick thier arm up and then start walking to the center of the ring. that way there isnt any chance of an accidental shot.
Rush
5/30/08 2:11:52PM
The ref should call all fighters to the centre and they touch gloves once and after that it's "protect yourself at all times" in between those bells.

I have no problem touching gloves AFTER a good round, but not during the fight time. It is a little out of hand if you ask me.
Martin-666
5/30/08 3:52:01PM

Boo_Radley21
5/30/08 4:16:23PM
I don't see a problem at all. If they want to touch gloves who cares.
Rush
5/30/08 5:52:15PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I don't see a problem at all. If they want to touch gloves who cares.

I think it causes a problem for guys that are quick starters.

i.e. you touch gloves before the horn, fighter A has a style where he likes to rush in with attack right away, fighter B sticks his hand up to touch gloves. So what is fighter A to do. Change the momentum of the fight to something that he doesn't want or (try to) drop fighter A and potentially look like a goon?

aaa9erh8er
5/30/08 6:11:14PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i dont think any fighter should touch gloves while the clock is running on their fight unless its an agreed touch between the fight is stopped by accidental low blow, eye poke, etc. that would leave a fighter wanting to show the other fighter it was an accident

thats a good point bu i think at the beging its ok but i dont really liek dureing.
but i absolutly hated manny g. when he facked the high five then kicked the guy that shows no class whats soever and was a poor show of sportmanship -PERIOD-
GrandMaster313
5/31/08 1:04:50AM
I think where I was trying to get at was it is fine to touch gloves , but when you do it during rounds it becomes more Showboating or trying TOO HARD to put on a show. fans don;t want to see that after a good hit, you should be concentrating on capitalizing on the good hit than praising the hit.

At the beginning of the fight is fine to me.... After a well fought round i could even accept. When an illegal hit happens that is also O.K. If it happens any other way it is unnecessary and unwanted for that matter.