Total fight card for UFC 68 and OFFICIAL discussion thread.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Total fight card for UFC 68 and OFFICIAL discussion thread.
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Thalzaar
2/6/07 12:56:23AM
not too excited about this card. Most of these fights are pretty lopsided. Swick/Okami and Stevenson/Uno are probably the 2 best matchups.

Sylvia will most likely win. His size and, as someone mentioned earlier, ability to only do enough to get the win style will have him keeping the belt. I always respected Randy's career, but this is a poor matchup for him and I really don't understand why he's taking this fight. Sylvia will be too much with his reach with the stand up, and on the ground, he knows enough to keep himself relatively safe. I really just want Sylvia to hang on to the belt until Crocop can kick his head off.

Franklin will win. MacDonald has had a couple decent runs over some midrange opponents, but Franklin is a bit of an overmatch for him. However, with Franklin coming off a pretty vicious loss, he'll either be super pissed and looking to take out his frustration, or he'll be gun shy and more cautious. Either way, Franklin will take the win.

Hughes has always been a bit overrated to me. Lytle really is outmatched though. Hell, he got beat by Matt Serra of all people. I like Matt, but he's not that strong of a fighter, at least not a Hughes level fighter. I think this one will be quick.

Matt Hamill is a bit overrated. I know a lot of people have fell in love with him since TUF show, but really, he hasn't impressed me at all. David Heath is a good matchup for him. They have similar styles and I wouldn't be suprised to see Heath win this.

Overall, I think the least hyped fights will be the best fights on this card.
argile
2/6/07 10:48:04PM
Macdonald has a decent shot at franklin, hes just as well rounded as franklin is just doesnt have as good of striking as rich.

Randy will lose by knock out or decision. there fight will be like the silvia/monson fight, Randy is too old. He lost his compeititive spirit; but he wants to cash in before he gets too old.

OchoCinco
2/8/07 3:05:13PM
This is a deep event wonder which fights will be prelim?
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
OchoCinco
2/9/07 1:38:57PM

Posted by Beenosworld

Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture
Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle
Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald
Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti
Mike Swick vs. Yushin Okami
David Heath vs. Matt Hamill
Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries
Joe Stevenson vs. Caol Uno
Assuerio Silva vs. TBA
Rex Holman vs. TBA*
Lambert vs. Sobral
One of the biggest post's and no props
What up people.
Look at me i know what i'm talking about

Some of these fights are incorrect according to ufc.com
hathcock32
2/9/07 7:08:12PM
Really looking forward to the seeing Caol Uno in the octagon..that will be the fight of the night JOE daddy is a beast. i dont see him losing. should be a war. All that are doubting randy soon will realize how good he acually is when he grounds and pounds his way to victory..

2/10/07 12:31:05PM
Looks like a decent card, can I get a source?
AchillesHeel
2/10/07 1:54:16PM
This is the current UFC 68 card, according to ufc.com:

Main Card
Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture
Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle
Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald
Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries
Jason Lambert vs. "Babalu" Sobral

Undercard
Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti
David Heath vs. Matt Hamill
Gleison Thibau vs. Jason Dent
Jason Gilliam vs. Jamie Varner

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.fightCard&eid=400
hippysmacker
2/12/07 11:36:28AM
I like this car a lot. Some good matchups,and Randy's back . That's enough for me.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/12/07 4:19:21PM
cant wit for swick and okami
Valhalla44
2/12/07 9:06:03PM
I gotta say, this is not a good matchup for Couture. Should have stayed retired. He may have a shot at him if he can get him on the ground, but Big Tim does have decent takedown defense. Look for Tim to try and put his critics to rest by coming out dropping bombs. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Tim fan, but this is just a bad matchup. I can't wait for Mirko to take that title.

Edit; WOW, was I wrong, on both Couture and Mirko. I think Mirko will recover and that's the last damn time I bet against Randy.
jrod
2/20/07 4:59:44PM
stevenson vs uno are a no go......stevenson is fighting melvin guillard at ufc fight night 9 in the main event...which is gunna be one hell of a fight..

WAR MELVIN
FutureLWchamp
2/21/07 8:37:36AM
daddy will b sayin uncle
pv3Hpv3p
2/22/07 3:55:42PM

Posted by argile

Macdonald has a decent shot at franklin, hes just as well rounded as franklin is just doesnt have as good of striking as rich.

Randy will lose by knock out or decision. there fight will be like the silvia/monson fight, Randy is too old. He lost his compeititive spirit; but he wants to cash in before he gets too old.

Sorry to flame but you can't be more incorrect...

How can you say that Macdonald is as well rounded as Franklin then in the same sentence say that he doesn't have as good a striking game? Isn't that part of what well-rounded means?

And saying that Randy has lost the competetive spirit? How'd you get away with that?

Monson may have been an Abu Dabi champ but those fights are built to go to the ground whereas Couture takes fights to the ground because he wants them there. He's a beast of a wrestler and GreckoRoman at that, so you won't see too many dive in single legs etc... IMO, bad comparison overall...

Randy lost his fighting spirit... Gimme a break...
jaba
2/28/07 1:40:38AM
god i hope randy wins and shuts up dat fukn mountain troll. Has anyone been on sherdog and seen that little bit with him training at the start of every vid, watta douchebag
hippysmacker
3/3/07 8:59:49PM

Posted by Thalzaar

not too excited about this card. Most of these fights are pretty lopsided. Swick/Okami and Stevenson/Uno are probably the 2 best matchups.

Sylvia will most likely win. His size and, as someone mentioned earlier, ability to only do enough to get the win style will have him keeping the belt. I always respected Randy's career, but this is a poor matchup for him and I really don't understand why he's taking this fight. Sylvia will be too much with his reach with the stand up, and on the ground, he knows enough to keep himself relatively safe. I really just want Sylvia to hang on to the belt until Crocop can kick his head off.

Franklin will win. MacDonald has had a couple decent runs over some midrange opponents, but Franklin is a bit of an overmatch for him. However, with Franklin coming off a pretty vicious loss, he'll either be super pissed and looking to take out his frustration, or he'll be gun shy and more cautious. Either way, Franklin will take the win.

Hughes has always been a bit overrated to me. Lytle really is outmatched though. Hell, he got beat by Matt Serra of all people. I like Matt, but he's not that strong of a fighter, at least not a Hughes level fighter. I think this one will be quick.

Matt Hamill is a bit overrated. I know a lot of people have fell in love with him since TUF show, but really, he hasn't impressed me at all. David Heath is a good matchup for him. They have similar styles and I wouldn't be suprised to see Heath win this.

Overall, I think the least hyped fights will be the best fights on this card.

Well the fights from Pride 33 were supposed to be lopsided too. Look how that turned out. I'm not saying your wrong. just that you never know.
Thalzaar
3/3/07 9:47:28PM
I'll agree with that, anything can happen. Just like half the fights I talked about in my post getting moved or changed lol
MartyMorgy
3/3/07 9:47:36PM
Uhh... I'm screwed
Ydoc
3/3/07 9:50:45PM
Matt finishes a fight. Even though it wasn't pretty I'm impressed.
MartyMorgy
3/3/07 9:56:38PM
"First three minutes displays some of the worst striking from both fighters you will ever see in the cage. "

"Holman looks completely gassed"

What the hell is this crap. God damnit Holman.
Thalzaar
3/3/07 10:06:03PM

God dammit Holman.

My sentiments exactly. I was counting on someone derailing the Hamill train
MartyMorgy
3/3/07 10:10:53PM

Posted by Thalzaar

God dammit Holman.

My sentiments exactly. I was counting on someone derailing the Hamill train

I definitely didn't think Holman would gas in the first round. Seeing Hamill's standup I expected him to get knocked out. Apparently they both have horrible standup. Sad really.

What is sad is that I bet on Holman and I am 1 out of 4 so far. I was expecting the Holman bet to offset my other bets. Damn.
mrsumo
3/3/07 10:34:52PM
I just scored big on the sobral fight.
JunCTion
3/3/07 10:39:01PM
keep it comming guys i cant watch the fights so im just sitting here waiting for you
MartyMorgy
3/3/07 10:42:09PM
Jason Gilliam vs. Jamie Varner (Pictures)
Round 1
Varner quickly gets a takedown from the clinch. Varner takes Gilliam's back after a quick scramble for position. He fights for the rear naked choke and secures a submission victory at the 1:34 mark of the first period. Varner wins by Submission (RNC).

Gleison Tibau vs. Jason Dent (Pictures)
Round 1
The fighters circle but both seem hesitant. Tibau clinches and throws Dent to the mat. Tibau got side-control off the takedown. Tibau working some some elbows to the head of Dent. Dent uses good leg work to get half-guard. Tibau is looking for an arm-triangle but it's not across the throat. He tries the hold for almost 2 mintues but Dent escapes. Referee Herb Dean stands up the fighters. Dent with a low kick. Tibau catches a leg and takes Dent back to the mat. Sherdog.com scores the first frame 10-9 for Tibau.

Round 2
Tibau scores a double-leg takedown. He works some ground and pound but Herb Dean stands them back up. Dent lands a low kick. Dent pieces together some nice punches. Just when it looked as if Dent was finding his range, Tibau scores another double. Tibau now getting some good shots in from the top position. Sherdog.com scores the second round 10-9 for Tibau.

Round 3
Another takedown for Tibau. The Brazilian punching well from the top but doesn't appear to be looking for a finish. Half way through the round, Herb Dean stands the fight up. Dent tries to mount some offense but slips while throwing a kick. Tibau dives into Dent's guard with a left hand. Tibau mounts and rides out the round in the dominant position. All three judges score the fight 30-27 for Gleison Tibau.

Jon Fitch (Pictures) vs. Luigi Fioravanti (Pictures)
Round 1
The fighters trade a few shots on the feet but nothing special lands. Fitch gets an inside trip and takes Luigi to the canvas. Fitch moves to side control. Fitch landing some good knees to the body. Fitch takes Luigi's back with only one hook in. Luigi gets back to half-guard. Luigi gets heels on hips and kicks Fitch off. Luigi lands a right hand. Sherdog.com scores the round 10-9 for Fitch.

Round 2
Luigi holds the fence to avoid a takedown but he gets slammed anyways. Luigi goes for a leg submission but Fitch takes his back after a crazy scramble. Fitch now has both hooks secured. He fights for and gets the victory via rear naked choke at 3:05 of the second round.

Rex Holman vs. Matt Hamill (Pictures)
Round 1
First three minutes displays some of the worst striking from both fighters you will ever see in the cage. Hamill is cut under his eye but it doesn't seem serious. Hollman looks completely gassed. Holman shoots but Hamill stuffs the takedown. Hamil takes down the fatigued fighter and not long after gets his back. Hamill unloads with a series of punches that forces the referee to halt the action at 4:00 of the first round.

Jason Lambert (Pictures) vs. Renato Sobral (Pictures)
Round 1
"Babalu" lands a low kick and a flurry of punches before rushing in and taking Lambert to the canvas. Sobral, working from Lambert's guard, lands a few punches to the head. Lambert is defending well from the bottom. Lambert gives up his back. "Babalu" secures his hooks and looks for the choke. "Babalu" rolls him over and sinks the hold under Lambert's throat. Lambert escapes to his feet. Lambert lands some stiff uppercuts from the clinch. Lambert drops Sobral with a right hand and pounces on his opponent. Sobral is saved by the bell. Sherdog.com scores the round 10-9 for Lambert.

Round 2
"Babalu" scores with some knees from the Thai-clinch. Lambert takes Sobral down with a double-leg. Sobral back to his feet. Lambert again takes Sobral down, but with a single-leg this time. The Californian lands some ground and pound. Sobral's right eye is sporting a mouse. Sobral goes high with his guard and looks for a triangle but Lambert has none of it. Lambert rubs his glove over Sobral's bleeding eye. After a standup, Lambert knocks out Sobral with a left hook counter at 3:26 of the second round. Sobral was trying to throw a knee when he got caught.
eastbaysteez
3/3/07 10:43:35PM
i knew it yet i still picked bumalu
Ydoc
3/3/07 10:46:58PM
JCT: Sherdog Play by Play

I'm a little happy for Jason... how good does this make Rashad look? I want Jason to go on to face Hamill, I think that'd be a good fight but UFC won't go for it because Jason would most likely take it. Want to see Sorbal against Tito some time down the road... but he may be gone from the UFC after that. Shame if he is.

As I type Lytle has Matt in a gullitine... can he pull it off? Nah... he let go. Would this be a bigger upset than little Nog losing?
mrsumo
3/3/07 11:10:17PM
I'm on fire tonight!

Especially after the way I ate it on the last two events.

But can anyone tell me why the McFedries Kampmann fight is higher up than the hughes and franklin fights? I thought they went in order of importance/popularity, like a concert?
JunCTion
3/3/07 11:19:15PM
crud. im 3 / 3
MartyMorgy
3/3/07 11:24:54PM
Better than im doing, I'm 2/4 and lost 1/3 of my money. Of course i did make some retarded picks and knew that before hand.
JunCTion
3/3/07 11:29:41PM

Posted by MartyMorgy

Better than im doing, I'm 2/4 and lost 1/3 of my money. Of course i did make some retarded picks and knew that before hand.

yeah, i tarded my picks up too. i had varner & tibau but switched at the last minute to dent & gilliam hoping for some upsets that would move me up the ladder, but boy am i upset. i also put 1/2 my money on couture

man, i havent gotten any of the outcomes right either
i need a coach
Pages: 1 [2] 3