Toney: Couture would get knocked out

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Toney: Couture would get knocked out
jae_1833
3/9/10 10:19:38PM
link
He told Fight Hype: "Randy Couture, he respects my game like I respect his game. He's the best at what he do in his sport; I'm the best at what I do in my sport. We gonna see who has the better style and everybody know it's James Toney.

“If he tries to throw blow for blow with me, he definitely gonna get knocked out. That's a given, you know what I'm saying? If he tries to take me to the ground, it ain't going to be easy… He's still gonna get knocked out. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation for him."
fightscoops
3/10/10 12:16:19AM
I can see it. There is definitely an 'any given sunday' aspect to MMA where if you catch a guy square on the jaw its game over... Randy goes to shoot, Toney steps back, times it, then BAM... the 'Natural' falls to the 'Rookie'...
prozacnation1978
3/10/10 8:56:24AM
i doubt couture would go toe to toe with him
Jackelope
3/10/10 9:23:34AM
Set it up. I'd like to see it.
rockthis1z
3/10/10 11:42:55AM
James Toney is talking smack because he can, and it's publicity. One thing he canNOT do is knock Randy out.

I think I can take James Toney with my sissy girl punches. :)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
emfleek
3/10/10 11:57:06AM

Posted by rockthis1z

One thing he canNOT do is knock Randy out.

I beg to differ.
State_Champ
3/10/10 12:19:54PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by rockthis1z

One thing he canNOT do is knock Randy out.

I beg to differ.

I think James Toney could for sure KO Randy if he hit Randy right.....nowadays Randy's chin seems pretty shaky to me.....
That said, I think Randy would clinch then take James Toney down and work a clinic on the ground.
rockthis1z
3/10/10 1:10:37PM
I think I could knock anyone out if I hit them "right". The main thing is not to get hit in the "right" spot. Im a loyal Couture fan, so I have to have faith and believe that James Toney wouldn't stand a chance. Sorry JT fans.
emfleek
3/10/10 1:17:44PM

Posted by State_Champ

I think James Toney could for sure KO Randy if he hit Randy right.....nowadays Randy's chin seems pretty shaky to me.....
That said, I think Randy would clinch then take James Toney down and work a clinic on the ground.

I totally agree. But to say Toney stands no chance of KO'ing him? That's funny to me.
rockthis1z
3/10/10 1:20:22PM
Okay, I give ya that one. He does "stand a chance". But I doubt it will happen.
DCRage
3/10/10 1:21:33PM
To those who think it won't happen, I once again refer to exhibit A: Ray Mercer vs. TIMMAY!! We all said it wouldn't happen. We all were wrong.
king_katool
3/10/10 1:51:35PM
TBH i think toney would beat couture, i know randy would have the right gameplan but i just think toney would eventually catch him, either coming in to clinch or for the TD, or what i think is most likely up against the cage in the clinch when they break apart i think toney lands a huge hook, and i think randy's chin is what it used to be
emfleek
3/10/10 2:07:43PM

Posted by king_katool

TBH i think toney would beat couture, i know randy would have the right gameplan but i just think toney would eventually catch him, either coming in to clinch or for the TD, or what i think is most likely up against the cage in the clinch when they break apart i think toney lands a huge hook, and i think randy's chin is what it used to be

I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both men have a legitimate shot at winning, in my opinion.

In order to get Toney in the clinch, Randy is going to have to get close. You can't clinch from across the cage...
Jackelope
3/10/10 2:45:51PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by king_katool

I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both men have a legitimate shot at winning, in my opinion.

In order to get Toney in the clinch, Randy is going to have to get close. You can't clinch from across the cage...

Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Lindland anyone?
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/10/10 3:00:50PM

Posted by DCRage

To those who think it won't happen, I once again refer to exhibit A: Ray Mercer vs. TIMMAY!! We all said it wouldn't happen. We all were wrong.

any mma fighter who comes in 40 pounds of fat heavier than they normally fight at and agrees to a standup fight with a pro boxer is most likely going to get KTFO .

exhibit B :

Ray mercer getting submitted by kimbo of all people !
State_Champ
3/10/10 5:05:23PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by DCRage

any mma fighter who comes in 40 pounds of fat heavier than they normally fight at and agrees to a standup fight with a pro boxer is most likely going to get KTFO .

exhibit B :

Ray mercer getting submitted by kimbo of all people !

I was just about to post this same thing
Boo_Radley21
3/10/10 6:27:52PM
I really don't wanna see Randy fight Toney, I'll be pissed if they make it happen. Actually pissed. They should let Jones welcome him in.
BustedKnuckle
3/10/10 10:28:35PM
Sorry James but you havent been the best in your sport in a long time. Randy would clinch, convert that to a TD and GnP Toney into infamy. I am mad as a MMa fan that he has come to big leagues but i cant imagine what the boxing fans will feel like when Toney gets smashed.
chickmagnet
3/11/10 12:06:21AM
Im not following the Toney hype. Sure he was a great boxer but hes taking MMA like a joke, and saying he could beat anyone. Randy would practice takedowns all night til he scores a tko.
rockthis1z
3/11/10 9:25:23AM
I guess we're just going to have to see this one. Im sure James Toney will do well, but "well" won't be good enough.
rockthis1z
3/11/10 9:30:04AM
Okay, I think Im out numbered here. Everyone thinks James Toney would win against Randy. I guess I will throw in towel on this one.
emfleek
3/11/10 9:37:44AM

Posted by rockthis1z

Everyone thinks James Toney would win against Randy.

What thread are you reading? I think most people are of the mindset that Toney has a legitimate chance of knocking Randy out *but* Randy is probably the favorite. I've only read a few posts on this entire site that have said definitively that Randy is going to lose to Toney.
chickmagnet
3/11/10 1:23:44PM
Okay. Its time to throw down some knowledge haha.

So here it is: For those of you who dont know, James Toney is a former boxing champion, due to the fact hes moving to MMA. Toney started out his career as a 160 lb middleweight! in boxing! Just so people know. He then moved up to super middleweight, cruiserweight and eventually Heavyweight. James is only 5'10, Randy is 6'2. Toney is 41 years old and has had a longer fighting career than Randy which might mean Toney is more aged. Randy is naturally the bigger framed man, plus he has a great wrestling background which Toney is a rookie at. However, Toney is a very good boxer obviously but he is behind on reach and Randy is known for his strategic approach.

When Couture has lost it has been against much bigger opponents Lesnar, Nogueira, Barnett, Ricco. Chuck Liddell had a longer reach than Randy and awesome takedown defense which led Randy to striking with him. Toney however, has never been in a cage in his life, and never had his back on the canvas while getting his skull smashed, and doesnt have anywhere near the takedown defense Liddell has.

My point being: In a cage, against Randy Couture, with MMA Rules, James Toney has little chance if not any chance of beating Randy Couture.
NatedawgThaM
3/11/10 5:54:59PM
If his age wasn't starting to show a little I would definitely bank on Randy. I think this is a bit too risky for him though and hardly gets anything out of it. I mean MMA wise. I mean he'll make tons of money and be more famous for beating a world class boxer but in the MMA world the win won't do anything for him but prove Toney is a boxer not an mma fighter, and if Randy gets knocked out which I think is highly likely, it's going to hurt him.

Might actually be a good match up for Toney since Randy likes to get in close where Toney could drop him on the way in if he's not careful but if Randy gets a hold of him it should be over too. Would be a very interesting fight, I just want to Toney to make his way up like everybody else.
haggiswashere
3/11/10 8:09:56PM
Even back in the day he would KO Couture if he hit him. Think of it like this. Imagine there is a sport where men train ONLY boxing. They would punch pretty hard. Now imagine a guy who looks alot like James Toney who is known among those men for hit punching power. Then put him up against guys in a sport where they have to split there time between Kickboxing/Grappling/Conditioning. Who is gonna punch the hardest? Toney will have a hard time adapting but your all crazy if you think any fighter could take a clean one on the chin from him.
BustedKnuckle
3/12/10 7:49:54PM
Toney for sure has power all day. Tuff to throw KO punches from the clinch/lay on back.