Tom Atencio: Affliction ‘Banned’ PPV buys to top 100,000

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tom Atencio: Affliction ‘Banned’ PPV buys to top 100,000
Wolfenstein
7/22/08 11:27:05PM
Vice President Tom Atencio doesn’t have any final numbers, however he reveals the the pay-per-view (PPV) buys for “Banned” on July 19 will “definitely” surpass 100,000. That’s a figure that may appear to be small at first blush, but it’s important to note that no other mixed martial arts promotion besides the UFC has ever exceeded that number.

link
ncordless
7/22/08 11:31:38PM
Yay!!! More Affliction cards in the future!!!

Fedor vs. Anderson Silva in 2010!!!

Lets hope he's telling the truth.
juanez13
7/22/08 11:35:05PM
Nice!

Atencio said they'll need 250k to break even, but over 100k is more than most predicted, hopefully they realize they're potential and keep it rolling.

ncordless
7/22/08 11:45:07PM

Posted by juanez13

Nice!

Atencio said they'll need 250k to break even, but over 100k is more than most predicted, hopefully they realize they're potential and keep it rolling.

oh yeah. They lost money, for sure. Lets just hope this is enough to keep them rolling for a while.

You got to remember that they bought alot of their own tickets, but they can write it of as marketing because they are reaching alot of people, they have a great way to entertain VIPs, it's better than a company picnic, and they will only get better if they continue to put on great fights.
SpiderSilva
7/23/08 12:16:29AM
yeah so they reall brought in 1.6 mill at the gate they pais 1 4th of the total gate
crazedfan
7/23/08 1:02:34AM
That's great news that they got so many buys, but good lord their fighter payroll was absolutely absurd.
Mchubb316
7/23/08 1:05:26AM
I wonder how many ppv buys the fight night card would have gotten if they would have offered it on the same night? How many if Affliction didn't have a show going at the same time? There is a huge following of UFC fans, and a way smaller following of true MMA fans. I do think the true MMA fan base is growing though.
EliasG
7/23/08 2:21:50AM
As someone who has promoted some shows (albeit of a different sort), it is important to remember that Affliction's promotion can take a loss in one area and still make a profit in another. That is to say, that while the UFC has taken MANY MANY losses on shows, the shows are their primary revenue source. Affliction on the other hand has multiple revenue sources primarily because they are not a promotion company but a clothing company. If they take a loss in one area but shoot their profits up in other areas and their profile up (which they've done) they may still be able to see 2 more shows turning into a good tax/profit boost. They can write off a whole bunch of losses and record lots of revenue as well. I'm guessing they sold a LOT of merch at their shows and I'm also thinking that they kept everyone NOT affliction oriented, out. But what do i know. ;)

Rush
7/23/08 8:15:17AM

I think the real issue is whether or not the number goes up in their second and third show.
jakeiceman
7/23/08 8:23:04AM

Posted by Mchubb316

There is a huge following of UFC fans, and a way smaller following of true MMA fans. I do think the true MMA fan base is growing though.

And what exactly makes a "true" MMA fan?? I prefer the UFC over all of the other organizations. Do I have to watch crusty old PRIDE footage and buy all of the Sengoku events to be considered a true fan of MMA.......just wondering. Just because the UFC is mainstream, it doesnt mean that fans of it have less knowledge of MMA and are ignorant to other fighters and organizations.

Its just a gripe of mine, but I know what your getting at.

prozacnation1978
7/23/08 8:30:04AM
i think the next one i will just go to a bar to watch for free
finnish_line
7/23/08 9:27:35AM

The next one will be interesting.

It will almost certainly be less stacked, and they're going to have to convince the top fighters to take a bit of a paycut.

Luckily for Affliction they won't have to pay Sylvia $800,000.
Darnok
7/23/08 11:06:53AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by Mchubb316

There is a huge following of UFC fans, and a way smaller following of true MMA fans. I do think the true MMA fan base is growing though.

And what exactly makes a "true" MMA fan?? I prefer the UFC over all of the other organizations. Do I have to watch crusty old PRIDE footage and buy all of the Sengoku events to be considered a true fan of MMA.......just wondering. Just because the UFC is mainstream, it doesnt mean that fans of it have less knowledge of MMA and are ignorant to other fighters and organizations.

Its just a gripe of mine, but I know what your getting at.

Well said. I also prefer the UFC, I just find it way more consistent than other orgs. ANd I have been watching since 93
Aether
7/23/08 1:46:38PM
He's not saying that "true" MMA fans can't prefer the UFC, he's saying that "true" MMA fans don't watch the UFC exclusively. The fact that you know other fighters and organizations would make you a true MMA fan by his definition as I understand it.

He's just saying that real fans are aware that MMA isn't exclusive to the UFC, that there are other options, even if UFC is the preferred one.
cmill21
7/23/08 8:20:48PM

Posted by Aether

He's not saying that "true" MMA fans can't prefer the UFC, he's saying that "true" MMA fans don't watch the UFC exclusively. The fact that you know other fighters and organizations would make you a true MMA fan by his definition as I understand it.

He's just saying that real fans are aware that MMA isn't exclusive to the UFC, that there are other options, even if UFC is the preferred one.

Yeah, real MMA fans don't seem to call it "Ultimate fighting".
jakeiceman
7/23/08 9:43:45PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aether

Yeah, real MMA fans don't seem to call it "Ultimate fighting".

Ha ha yeah "ultimate fighting' good point. I wasnt jumping his post to start anything, I actually t hink I was just in a bad mood last night and took out my frustration on the internet because I'm a hardass like that I know what kinda fan he was talking about....I'm just a pain in the ass I guess.
bls1919
7/23/08 11:08:00PM
I truly hope that Tony is serious when he says that. That means Affliction will be around and in force at least for a year and probably a lot more. I think they need to expand their fighter register with some big names at other weights other than HW. Not that i wont love watching Fedor rip another former UFC Campion apart. Sorry Andrei but your toast.

P.S.
Is it bad that i hate the UFC along with loving it???? I'm confused
cmill21
7/23/08 11:19:35PM

Posted by bls1919

I truly hope that Tony is serious when he says that. That means Affliction will be around and in force at least for a year and probably a lot more. I think they need to expand their fighter register with some big names at other weights other than HW. Not that i wont love watching Fedor rip another former UFC Campion apart. Sorry Andrei but your toast.

P.S.
Is it bad that i hate the UFC along with loving it???? I'm confused

I just liked seeing 2 or more stong orgs because I loved the rivalry. Oh and I love the ring.
EliasG
7/24/08 1:39:13AM
Yeah when I train MMA and guys say "Oh you do UFC?" it slightly annoys me but I can explain.

UFC is like the Lil John and TPain of combat sports. It sounds meh...sometiems it sounds good...in the club. And you hear it all over the place.

Affliction/Pride/Strikeforce/EliteXC/Dream/K1-are like the Talib Kweli and Mos Def of combat sports. If you've heard of them, you're more of a "head". You don't have to be exclusive, you can like it all, it just gets slightly annoying when your average joe who doesnt know a thinga bout MMA tells you that UFC is the only thing to watch..ever. Ha.