UFC 1 Today

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC 1 Today
« Previous Page
POLL: Is this idea freaking sweet?
Hells yea Pitbull09 19% (5)
Screw this Pitbull09, I rather make a million more of the same thread 12% (3)
Semi-good 27% (7)
Sweet as have Norris in the tournament 4% (1)
Best topic for "MMA Lounge's" description 4% (1)
I hate Don King 35% (9)
mrsmiley
7/13/08 8:22:50PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I sya we throw him in and cause I need a tenth slot. Bruce Lee is revived for the tournament and we have these fighters set so far

Kickboxing- Jerome Lebanner
Karate - Chuck Norris - lol why not
Pit fighter - Kimbo Slice
Boxer - Lamon Brewster
BJJ - Rickson Gracie
Muay Thai - Remy Bojansky
Judo - Pawel Nastula
Wrestling- Brock Lesnar
Sumo- Asashoryu Akinori
Jeet Kune Do- Bruce Lee

Also outside of the Tournament we have a Celebrity and Pro fight

Celebrity
WWE's Ric Flair vs NFL's Bob Sapp
Pro
Fedor (Sambo) vs Randy Couture (Greco) (Idk want this to turn into a thread to argue the winner)

Out of the list I would have to go with Rickson.I think he would win.
jkdskinhead
7/13/08 10:37:07PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I sya we throw him in and cause I need a tenth slot. Bruce Lee is revived for the tournament and we have these fighters set so far

Kickboxing- Jerome Lebanner
Karate - Chuck Norris - lol why not
Pit fighter - Kimbo Slice
Boxer - Lamon Brewster
BJJ - Rickson Gracie
Muay Thai - Remy Bojansky
Judo - Pawel Nastula
Wrestling- Brock Lesnar
Sumo- Asashoryu Akinori
Jeet Kune Do- Bruce Lee

Also outside of the Tournament we have a Celebrity and Pro fight

Celebrity
WWE's Ric Flair vs NFL's Bob Sapp
Pro
Fedor (Sambo) vs Randy Couture (Greco) (Idk want this to turn into a thread to argue the winner)

I would want Lee to win but I see him having trouble with Kimbo, Brock, and Jerome.. The first are skilled enough to cause him trouble, then they are jsut giants.. then Jerome is on the same level and he also way bigger then dragon. I see him ripping the rest of them up kicks to the nutsack since these are ufc 1 rules :)
RNC
7/13/08 11:51:50PM
Wrestling- Brock Lesnar
Karate- Lyoto Machida
Pit Fighter- Chuck Liddell
Boxing- Floyd Mayweather
BBJ- BJ Penn
Kickboxing- Cro Cop
Sambo- Fedor
GrecoRoman Wrestling- Randy Couture
Judo - Karo Parisyan
Kung Fu - Bruce Lee
jkdskinhead
7/14/08 12:03:52AM

Posted by RNC

Wrestling- Brock Lesnar
Karate- Lyoto Machida
Pit Fighter- Chuck Liddell
Boxing- Floyd Mayweather
BBJ- BJ Penn
Kickboxing- Cro Cop
Sambo- Fedor
Judo - Karo Parisyan
Kung Fu - Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee doesnt do Gung Fu.. he does JKD

Infact if you look at his books he has illustrations of Gung Fu, and the captions pretty much say.. this is what you should never ever do.. these stances or jsut plain silly.
Manfred
7/14/08 12:08:44AM

Posted by Pookie
BJJ - Rickson Gracie

Supposedly Rickson was going to do the UFC instead of Royce since he was the family champ. But they wanted to prove a point about their style and Rickson looked to athletic. There were also rumors he had a falling out with Rorion.

Can you imagine Rickson's legend if he'd won the first couple UFC's?
mrsmiley
7/14/08 5:47:04AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Pookie
BJJ - Rickson Gracie

Supposedly Rickson was going to do the UFC instead of Royce since he was the family champ. But they wanted to prove a point about their style and Rickson looked to athletic. There were also rumors he had a falling out with Rorion.

Can you imagine Rickson's legend if he'd won the first couple UFC's?

Exactly.Rickson wanted to represent the family in the first few UFC's but Rorion wouldn't let him because he left the academy.
It would of given Rickson the recognition he deserves.
RNC
7/14/08 6:57:38AM

Posted by jkdskinhead

O no, he does do kung fu.
DCRage
7/14/08 7:13:56AM

Posted by Pitbull09

This may be the best MMA Lounge topic I have thought of and hopefully this thread will stay alive for awhile cause it seems like a great discussion.

Ok, imagine MMA never began and both UFC and Pride weren;t around.
Next, imagine UFC emerges with a tournament in 2008 (just like when it really did) calling out the best of each style to fight. Think of some of the best athletes from individual styles now competeing in the tournament such as: Sambo, Karate, BBJ, Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, ect.

Ok, anyone like this idea yet. Feel free to make a tournament bracket as I really don;t know the top guys in half these styles. I heard Chuck Norris is undefeated in Karate so that would be great to throw him in. Also feel free to use Kimbo as the Tank Abbot type fighter.

So right now I have this
Wrestling- Brock Lesnar
Karate- Chuck Norris
Pit Fighter- Kimbo Slice
Boxing- Floyd Mayweather? (idk tell me a better guy if you know)
BBJ- Renzo Gracie? (lol once again, Idk which gracie so you chose)
Kickboxing- ________
Sambo- Fedor

Feel free to add any other styles and fighters and we will end up with a tournament bracket soon.

My picks (sorry if these guys are either unknown or dead, I thought a long ways back):
Wrestling-Lou Thesz
Karate-Bruce Lee
Pit Fighter-Kimbo since I can't think of anyone else
Boxing-Mike Tyson in his prime, if more recently then either Joe Calzaghe or Manny Pacquiao
BJJ-Royce Gracie
Kickboxing-Cung Le in his pre-MMA days
Sambo-Fedor
Greco-Roman Wrestling-Couture
Miletich Fighting-Matt Hughes
Striking-Mirko Cro Cop
Vale Tudo-______
Muay Thai-______
(Those last 2 were a couple other styles I thought could be added)
jkdskinhead
7/14/08 4:08:19PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by jkdskinhead

O no, he does do kung fu.

Bruce Lee learned Gung Fu when he was a kid and teen.. but then he said F this and trashed it. He made his own Martial art.. JKD.. and pretty much blasted gung fu, saying it was useless.. Lees martial art jkd more like boxing wrestling, karate, and JJ for himself, but JKD is diffrent for every in dividual.. If you open any of his books with his own illustrations you see him with pictures of gung fu stances and the captions will say this is utter crap.. then youll see a boxing stance, and his caption is this is good lets develope this more for a complete combat system instead of just boxing.

Saying bruce does Gung FU is like saying a fighter who entered mma through greco roman wrestling, is a karate fighter because he learned it over two sumers in grade school. And on top of that it would have to be a wrestler that was saying karate was BS and he wasted his time learning it as a kid.

You cant call someone a gung fu fighter, who trashes the art and calls it a useless tradition
Pookie
7/14/08 4:20:17PM
Pitbull since this is your Tourny, with all the new fighters added... do the brackets again so we can see it in tourny format.
pv3Hpv3p
7/14/08 5:12:25PM
what do we do about fighters like Big Nog?

I'm pretty sure if he never fought in MMA, he would be some sort of BJJ champ somewhere...

Same goes for Wanderlei and Anderson in respect to Muay Thai...

For the rest...

I'd like to see Kelly Pavlick for the boxing side

I don't know about the rest
Pitbull09
7/15/08 12:48:50AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

what do we do about fighters like Big Nog?

I'm pretty sure if he never fought in MMA, he would be some sort of BJJ champ somewhere...

Same goes for Wanderlei and Anderson in respect to Muay Thai...

For the rest...

I'd like to see Kelly Pavlick for the boxing side

I don't know about the rest

We are trying to avoid any big MMA names and stick to guys away from the sport. Though Nog's BBJ is great, Rickson ties closely to solely that style then MMA in general.
The other reason we arnt using that is ppl will look at the fight based on how the guy does in MMA. Like if we use Couture for Greco, ppl will give him a nudge cause they arnt judging as if he never trained for stikes or MMA.

1 Kickboxing- Jerome Lebanner
2 Karate - Chuck Norris - lol why not
3 Pit fighter - Kimbo Slice
4 Boxer - Lamon Brewster
5 BJJ - Rickson Gracie
6 Muay Thai - Remy Bojansky
7 Judo - Pawel Nastula
8 Wrestling- Brock Lesnar
9 Sumo- Asashoryu Akinori
10 Jeet Kune Do- Bruce Lee
11 Taekwondo- Daba Modibo Keita
12 Kung Fu- Superstar
13 Greco Roman- Mijail Lopez
14 Catch Wrestling-Sakuraba
15 Sambo- Igor Yakimov
16 Capoeira- Lateef Crowder

I forget who said Vale Tudo but most of the guys I found on there were either dead or practiced a bunch of other styles.
I used Lateef Crowder for Capoeira lol. If you ever saw "the protector" starring tony jaa, he is the black guy. I doubt hes a good fighter but had to find something for the 16th spot.

I will make a new topic with the bracket now.
Kracker_Jap
7/15/08 12:58:25AM
I enter myself in this tourney....

Kracker_Jap fighting in the form of NINJA
Pages: 1 [2]